Never Shout Never
Harmony

good

by AjayStewart USER (1 Reviews)
September 10th, 2010 | 30 replies | 12,087 views

Review Summary: A slightly more mature album that will keep fans happy with it's cliched, poppy charm.

Never Shout Never, the stage name of internet-risen star Christofer Drew Ingle, has never been an artist that has been received well by critics. His rather clichéd and unsophisticated lyrics do not make for an album full of songs to be taken all too seriously. This, accompanied by his fan base typically made up of adolescent girls, accumulates to form an artist that will find it hard to impress the harshest of music critics.

However, judging Never Shout Never’s music in the context that it was likely written for is key. With song titles like ‘CheaterCheaterBestFriendEater’ and ‘This S**t Getz Old’, it is clear that the aforementioned pattern that is all too familiar in past albums is making a return. This is something that would lead you to conclude that this album is poor. The truth is, the lyrics and Drew’s voice aren’t anything special, but I think that for the audience that it is aimed towards, it is suitably written. The lyrics, that apply to most teenagers’ lives, put into a very simple, accessible form, are often underrated in albums like these.

Drew manages to create some relatively genuine songs like the lead single, ‘Sellout’, a song exploring the tribulations he faced whilst gaining popularity in the industry. Although not a particularly well-constructed song, the point is put across well and the result is a catchy acoustic pop song quite typical of the MySpace founded ‘scene’ acts.

This is an album meant for adolescents who enjoy simple, sing-along songs with an attractive front man. Never Shout Never’s Harmony delivers and stands above the previous releases with a slight raise in maturity. It’s not likely to convert people who weren’t fans but it will definitely impress those who are.

2.8
good
BookReader792 (5)
I have come to realize that Sputnik music has a lot of hate for NeverShoutNever. Why? Is it because ...

September 10th 2010

Would appreciate some constructive criticism as this is my first review. Thank you.

cvlts

this shit getz old

RosaParks

so shitty

fromtheinside
September 10th 2010

your last two paragraphs should be combined since there's 2 sentences in each (well, 3 in the last).
also you only go into detail with one song - the single at that, therefore giving no feel of the
actual album beside bagging on it with things that you assume the reader should know. the first two
paragraphs for instance are your take on the genre which don't really say anything other than children
listen to bad music in general. try branching out your thoughts more and definitely go into detail
with more of the songs on the album. won't neg because this could have been a terrible tbt of a
terrible album so good job avoiding that.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

bailar12
September 10th 2010

hmmmm.... users first review... checks ratings.... okay this makes sense

Ire
September 10th 2010

i hope he dies by the hands of rectal worms

Dryden
September 10th 2010

he will i made sure of it

brutebeard

Got my pos.

I'd like to see you review a 'good' album next

September 10th 2010

Thanks for the pos. My main area of expertise is film so this is my first review of music and to be quite honest, I'm not the most knowledgeable but I was quite interested in trying to write a review that explains my opinions on Never Shout Never and why I quite like him.

brutebeard
September 10th 2010

Yeah you supported your claims rather well. Good reasoning.

KrissWatts
September 10th 2010

I wish more reviews were written like this.

September 10th 2010

Thank you KrissWatts, I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know how to fix the album artwork? For some reason it hasn't uploaded.

September 10th 2010

It has to be approved, hence the wait

I've added it for you though

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

September 10th 2010

Oh okay, I did read that but I thought it meant my actual review. Thanks a lot anyway.

September 10th 2010

Your first review has to be approved as well, yes. Its just standard protocol that artwork adds get looked at before they're posted, otherwise everyone would be free to upload what they want, which is never a good thing

Nice review by the way

September 10th 2010

Ah right, thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.

cinaedus
September 10th 2010

that album cover makes me cringe.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

September 10th 2010

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the cover.

September 10th 2010

My only advice is to flesh out your ideas a little bit more. With an album like this, there's only so much detail you can go into, but if you say the lyrics are bad provide some examples maybe. But for a first review its good, short and to the point

September 10th 2010

Yeah, I regret not going into more detail. I think I made the beginners mistake of misjudging the length of my review. I wrote it in word and it seemed quite long but once I pasted it into the submission box, it looked a little on the thin side. Will take all the advice given on board for my next one.