Brandon Flowers
Flamingo

by Dick Face USER (12 Reviews)
September 6th, 2010 | 23 replies | 4,850 views

Review Summary: The Killers front man makes an album fabulous enough to justify the moustache

After breaking the international market in 2004 with their debut LP ‘Hot Fuss’, The Killers have established themselves as one of the foremost prominent figures in modern music; selling out arenas across the world and shifting a record or two along the way. Given the number of high profile front persons who choose to pursue solo careers at some point (everyone from Sir Mick Jagger to Freddie Mercury have taken part in their own solo projects) it was never going to shock anybody when Brandon Flowers announced his debut solo record, ‘Flamingo’.

Supposedly made up of a number of songs that were surplus to requirements during the band’s writing sessions for their last release, the quite frankly abysmal ‘Day and Age’, one would be forgiven for expecting another Killers album, complete with 80s influenced synth lines and warbling vocals, and in part you’d be totally right. There are elements of ‘Flamingo’ that could easily fit into this category; the aforementioned synth lines are still there, though somewhat less prominently, and some of the tracks are even structurally reminiscent of their material. The does not mean, however, that Flowers has simply proven himself to be a one trick pony. In fact, Flowers has crafted an album that not only sets itself apart from his previous work, but that also far surpasses any of The Killers’ more recent material by some considerable amount.

The range of tracks on offer on ‘Flamingo’ is truly a highlight; from the beautifully eccentric opener ‘Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas’ to the African tinged ‘Only the Young’ to the haunting anthem of reclusiveness that is ‘On the Floor’. Musically, the record proves to be somewhat more experimental and often more ambient than anything Flowers has done in the past, utilizing a number of unorthodox instruments as well as a fondness for delayed guitars a la U2 and boasting a female choir whose harmonic work is flawless. Another highlight is that there are several single worthy tracks available, with lead single ‘Crossfire’ demonstrating how Flowers is able to craft a melodically spectacular piece without compromising catchiness.

The album title and track listing alone leave little to the imagination as to what the lyrical content of the record will be. Sure enough, there are a million and one references to Las Vegas (Flowers’ hometown), casinos and the city’s culture in general, allowing for an almost party like atmosphere throughout the record, radiating all the glitz and glamour of metropolitan Vegas. Such references also contribute to the identity of the record, with Flowers showcasing his most personal lyrics to date in an often heart wrenching manner.

Aesthetically, ‘Flamingo’ is little more than a glorified Killers record released under the front man’s name to earn a quick buck or two; an area in which he is lacking greatly, of course. However, upon closer inspection, it is apparent that Flowers has taken his previous experiences and built upon them. No more are the endless filler tracks surrounded by some flashes of brilliance; they have been replaced by what is effectively a well rounded indie rock album that showcases the front man’s talent for writing and singing superbly. Perhaps there is some hope left for The Killers after all.

A Day To Remember What Separates Me From YouShadows Chasing Ghosts The Golden Ratio
N-Dubz Against All OddsEmarosa Emarosa
Tiger Please SeasonsNot Advised Fight For This EP
3.2
good
Davey Boy STAFF (3)
A sound & consistent Killers-like solo debut that is anything but killer....

September 6th 2010

Must listen to this asap.

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

September 6th 2010

Quick write up, forgot to proof read, was too busy racing myself.

Sheeple9000

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jJcGr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://foreignsands.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/jlp_facepalm.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Y30PN.jpg[/img]

Knott-
September 6th 2010

No more are the endless filler tracks surrounded by some flashes of brilliance

That's pretty much what this album is. It's about as good as Day & Age.

Also do you have a stream for this? Because otherwise you're not allowed to post a review for it..

Edit: NVM, AGAIN the date on an album on sputnik is the US date rather than the actual release date.

PandaNuts
September 6th 2010

I like this way more than I should. Welcome to fabulouuuus Laaaassss Vegaaassss!

LepreCon
September 6th 2010

I love the music video with Charlize Theron in it, looking totally bangable

September 6th 2010

He has this one song that comes on the radio, it's alright

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

September 6th 2010

Half way through this and I'm really diggin it. Is the song Crossfire Bloc?

September 6th 2010

That's pretty much what this album is. It's about as good as Day & Age.

I disagree, this is probably his most consistent work since Hot Fuss for me, but to each his own.

DaveyBoy

20807 Comments

Nicely written Kris. My review is about 24 hours away.

I think many people will disagree on a lot of the specifics about this album, but the conclusion will be the same: It's somewhere between a 3 & a 3.5, no matter which way you look at it.

Did you just use "consistent" & "Hot Fuss" in the one sentence?

HighandDriving
September 6th 2010

This album is pretty awesome; much better than The Killers last two albums.

September 6th 2010

I'd say it's on par and a continuation of Day & Age's direction but this has nothing on Sam's Town.

HighandDriving

lol

LepreCon
September 6th 2010

she's really tall. its scary.

andcas finds tall women intimidating?
I find them HAWT

AtavanHalen

Charlize is sexy.

This? Not so much. It's okay. Need a few more listens.

crazyblinddude
September 7th 2010

Hey, just wondering, is this reasonably better than Day and Age? Because if it is, then I'll know whether or not to pick it up, or to just download the singles.

September 7th 2010

Nicely written Kris. My review is about 24 hours away.

Did you just use "consistent" & "Hot Fuss" in the one sentence?

Thanks man and yeah, I did. I really love Hot Fuss, I think it's consistently great all the way through up until the last track, which I don't like so much. I guess not everyone agrees but to each his own.

September 7th 2010

I'd say yes for sure; I really hate Day & Age though.

crazyblinddude
September 7th 2010

Oh okay. Me too actually. I was just making sure this wasn't Day and Age round 2. Thanks.

DaveyBoy

20807 Comments

This is not Day & Age Pt.2, but it's not all that much better than it imo.