The Contortionist
Exoplanet

by Aaron USER (8 Reviews)
August 31st, 2010 | 3545 replies | 112,888 views

Review Summary: Deathcore, done well. Om nom nom nom.

Sometimes it's hard being both a musician and a listener. To turn off your musical brain and enjoy something doesn't always come easy. You're often dissecting and analysing songs to their microscopic elements, to their fundamental concepts, and it takes away from the experience. This is compounded in technical musical styles; jazz, technical-metal et al. With current trends in heavy music being firmly focused on playing at whirlwind speed and with the utmost complexity this doesn't help. The Contortionist however, make it easy for you to get lost in the experience, maturely pursuing songwriting, in lieu of the aforementioned trends.

Combining elements of deathcore, progressive-death, experimental production, and dare I use the cliche, strong use of melody, The Contortionist is a heady mix of abrasiveness and technical metal, which is executed with precision. Stylistically standing out from it's peers with the added mix of electronica and both synth and guitar-based ambience, the dynamics of Exoplanet interestingly allow the band to eschew the sea of deathcore/progressive bands. The second track of the album, Flourish, is an obvious highlight, particularly the tasteful additive of quietly mixed piano. A second example of this dynamic play being the dichotic use of vocals in Contract.

Exoplanet defines a genre coming of age. Dynamics, and song-writing overtaking aesthetics of violence and brutality dogging the genre, allow the band to stand head and shoulders over its peers, and with breathing space for creativity.

Totally Unicorn Horse HuggerTrent Reznor and Atticus Ross The Social Network
Chimp Spanner At the Dream's EdgeRussell W Blue Moons And Happy Accidents
Kate Bush The Kick InsidePink And Yellow The Pink and Yellow Tapes

August 31st 2010

Short and sweet baby. That's how it's done.

gaslightanthem
August 31st 2010

short and sweet baby, that's how you be done

also i won't listen to this but hey good review

Girth > length.

saucy

fantastic conclusion. pos'd

ConsiderPhlebas
August 31st 2010

From what I can see on their website and myspace, these guys seem to think their music is metal with progressive ideas thrown in. Is that what deathcore is, then?

TheFantasticDangler

^ You haven't even listened to the album *facepalm*

ConsiderPhlebas
August 31st 2010

I've listened to as much as I could stand.

August 31st 2010

Much better than ADB's review. What you have to say actually describes this album, not some figment of Brent's imagination that doesn't exist.

Digging: Stray From the Path - Our Oceania

fromtheinside
August 31st 2010

loves the clean sections of this they blend so well.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

TheFantasticDangler

yes they do

September 1st 2010

Yeah, I don't get how people can say that the structure of these songs is random, it's like they aren't paying attention until they hear a breakdown and then they NEED to complain.

UrsusVeritas
September 1st 2010

Im actually liking this....almost shut their myspace off after a few seconds because death metal isint really my thing, but this is a different breed!

September 2nd 2010

Yeah, it really isn't death metal.

Anville
September 3rd 2010

Even though half of the songs are from Apparition, the reinterpretation is skillfully done, as are the new songs. This album just takes care of business, and doesnt mess around. AOTY contender for sure.

Ruminations
September 4th 2010

reminds me of a less technical more melodic version of the faceless.

EasternLight
September 4th 2010

dude, flourish is great

ianjulian
September 5th 2010

Yeah this is

asaf
September 6th 2010

the entire first paragraph can be skipped in its entirety. also 'Exoplanet defines a genre coming of age...." I have no idea what you're getting at.

are you eleven?

and this >>> "Yeah, I don't get how people can say that the structure of these songs is random, it's like they aren't paying attention until they hear a breakdown and then they NEED to complain"

what's going on here in sputnik? where's the credibility?

Digging: Heart To Heart - Dulce

September 7th 2010

the entire first paragraph can be skipped in its entirety.

No it doesn't.

If you didn't skip the first paragraph you'd know why.

are you eleven?