The Word Alive
Deceiver

by Comatorium. USER (42 Reviews)
August 29th, 2010 | 1469 replies | 54,713 views

Review Summary: The Word Alive come into their own with their debut full-length, crafting a release that lives up to the massive hype built around it. Eat your heart out, Mabbitt.

The Word Alive has certainly come a long way since ditching Craig Mabbitt. Armed with a vocalist who is more than capable of both clean and screamed vocals, a fantastic EP, and a couple years of touring under their belts, the band's debut full length "Deceiver" has all the makings of a good album, and it capitalizes on this to the fullest degree. By taking a standard post-hardcore/metalcore sound and tweaking it with some personal flairs, The Word Alive have put out an album that not only lives up to the hype it's generated, but for some might even pass it.

The first thing that's obvious about "Deceiver" becomes known about 5 seconds into opener "The Hounds Of Anubis," a heavy-hitting tune that capitalizes on Telle Smith's bellowing screams to great effect. Smith is an absolute beast behind the microphone, belting out ranged screams and pristine cleans and switching between the two with efficiency and ease. The guitarists don't take a backseat though, filling the songs with creative riffs that stray far off the beaten path of the typical chugging the genre has become notorious for. A number of songs even feature some great solos, also a rarity in the genre.

The drumming is standard fare for the genre, but the other aspects of the sound are so polished its easily overlooked. The synthesizers actually lend something to all the songs they're used in, instead of muddying the sound and just being an overall stupid gimmick like 95% of synth in metal today. The track "2012" features a driving synth line that weaves in and around the guitar to create a really cool sonic effect with a good pair of headphones on, and some songs even feature movements where the traditional instruments take a backseat to the electronics such as in the dubstep (wut?) influenced "Like Father, Like Son," which also happens to feature a great breakdown at the same time the dub takes center stage.

The re-recorded version of their EP hit "Battle Royale" is a highlight of the album, which makes sense given that it was a highlight of the EP. When it is presented here with better production and autotune-less, it becomes an entertaining cut regardless of the fact that its an old song due to the fresh sound it is given. And that solo... oh that solo, it is excellent.

"You're All I See" is the requisite slower, ballad-ish number. The song isn't bad by any means, but if anything proves that The Word Alive is better when they're playing heavy and fast and that Smith's vocal forte lies in screaming. It's the weakest track on the album, but it's still a fun listen every now and then.

All in all, it's pretty surprising that the caliber of this full-length surpasses a lot of other releases this year, and even more so considering that The Word Alive is a relatively new band, and this is only their debut. A definite recommendation from me, Deceiver riffs its way to a 4.5/5

Andrew Jackson Jihad Knife ManBad Lamps Soultronic
After The Burial In DreamsTrophy Scars Darkness, Oh Hell
Swashbuckle Crime Always Pays...Beach House Teen Dream
  • P.J. Quinones (3.5)
    A new metalcore sextet with flashes of brilliance, The Word Alive (or simply TWA) finds no...

Chris Richey (5)
    In the dark that is today's metalcore scene, The Word Alive's great debut album shines thr...

DropdeadWHA (4)
    The Word Alive shine through in a bleak genre, orchestrating a strong debut effort....

J. Ponton EMERITUS (3)
    Mid-grade post-hardcore featuring Tyler Smith...

• Brad Acord (5)
    After establishing their Empire, The Word Alive has gone and created a masterpiece of a de...

August 29th 2010

Album was sold at the release show last night. Album is superb. Comments and critiques welcome.

Canyons of Static
August 29th 2010

Pretty good concise review, pos

Zip

want this badly

August 29th 2010

Hit me up for some linkage, zip. Thank you sir Ahab.

TomAkaVeto
August 29th 2010

This rules pretty damn hard. I haven't decided on a rating for it yet, though.

August 29th 2010

I might lower it a 4, but for now, its sitting comfortably.

Sooooooooooooo good.

5'd it just for shits n giggles but soooooooo fucking good.

August 29th 2010

It's leaked?!?!?!? I was surprised as hell that it's been kept clean, 3 days before release and no stream and no leak.

I saw them live...was a little disappointed I wont lie..but everything on CD is fucking killer. Stoked to hear it

cvlts

would i like this?

Digging: As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep

August 29th 2010

yes genocide. yes you would

but if you don't...don't blame me!, I didn't do it!

August 29th 2010

I don't see how anyone could not like this. It's just toooo good.
In a genre full of mediocre breakdowns, this band shines in that department.

August 29th 2010

The breakdown in Like Father Like Son is sooooo god damn good.

IllPromiseYouThat
August 29th 2010

I'm going to work on a review for this tonight. It'll be a 5 so i'll have to justify it with good writing haha. would you mind sending me a zip please. I'll get my pre order soon hopefully but it would be good to have a zip for now

fromtheinside

ugh.
i'd rather listen to miss may i.
this is pretty bad guys.

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

August 29th 2010

like I said......live show kinda made me a tad dissapointed. but I still want to hear this. really, really badly.

Treska
August 29th 2010

Then download it brah. Its on mediafire and demonoid.

I dont like this type of music. But the solo on Battle Royale is pretty cool i guess.

August 29th 2010

If you haven't heard it, why do you have it at a 4?

August 29th 2010

Don't worry rosa, It's 4'd for a good reason. Probably going to be hitting a 4.5 after I let it sink in. I had it almost finished last post. It's great thus far

August 29th 2010

Andcas, just google blog search it.

August 29th 2010

Link in your shoutbox andcas.