Kellermensch
Narcissus

by Donni H. USER (5 Reviews)
August 26th, 2010 | 11 replies | 4,949 views

Review Summary: "We're doing something a bit different for this release" is almost always a sure-fire way to spot a bad release. Not in this case, though. Far from it.

When Kellermensch released their extremely original and supremely well-written debut album in early 2009, they more or less redefined what you were to expect from a post-punk band. The record was dark and innovative, but it was also a very entertaining listen with excellent songs that would get stuck in your head for ages. In fact, the only thing anyone could really say was dissapointing about it, was it's length.

This has been rectified now.

Fast-forward to June 2010 for the release of Narcissus, the second offering from Kellermensch. Narcissus is, as far as this reviewer can tell from reading interviews, a collection of songs that "didn't really fit" on their album. And to be honest, listening to the EP that way isn't the wrong way to go at it.

The songs on Narcissus are somewhat different than what was found on their album. They are fairly upbeat. The growls are gone. The experimentation has been toned down somewhat. The songwriting is more traditional with the guitars and drums usually taking the foreground.
For anyone who enjoyed their first album, this might sound discouraging. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

You see, what these songs lack in experimentation and originality - at least compared to their debut - they make up for in sheer quality. All these songs are fantastic. Narcissus let's us slowly seep into the mood of the record. The song starts out very slowly with not much in the way of instrumentation, except for a subdued jazzy drumbeat and some very pretty melodic weaving between a grand piano and a violin. It's clear from the start that the lyrics are much more important on this record than on their album. And great lyrics they are.

"Come over darling, I want you to see / just what your absence is doing to me / when you left, flowers grew full of meaning to me / come out to my garden where all my dreams run free"

Although it is obvious that the escapist, symbolic lyrics that Kellermensch was permeated with remains intact, the mood and meaning has changed from something like "life sucks and it always will" to "life sucks, but you're not to blame". The main single from the EP, Army Ants is a perfect example of this newfound philosophy.

"Open all of your windows now / letting out the shame / No matter how you ended up this way / nobody is to blame"

Speaking of Army Ants, that is probably also the song most people will see as the highlight. It's very well-written, easy to get into and it sounds great. The band has obviously taken some cues from some of the older influential artists out there, namely Bruce Springsteen. Oh, and it has become a nation-wide hit in Denmark. Who would've thought?
Continuing the more traditional rock songs comes Rattle The Bones, a very catchy number led by a very infectious baseline. It is probably also the song that resembles their older material the most, since the atmosphere throughout most of the track is rather dark.
The last new song on the EP is 30 Silver Coins. It's a ballad, perhaps the first the band has ever recorded, but it fits in really well and has an absolutely stunning verse complete with tearjerker violin. It sounds brutally honest and raw, which is why it stands as my personal highlight on the EP.

As a special bonus for those buying the physical version, the band has given a delicious treat in the form of 4 live tracks, recorded in a live session at BBC1. The tracks sound great and really show off the vibe the band gives across live, even if it may not be the best performance the band is capable of.

To conclude, the 4 new tracks on the EP are certainly something different than the usual, and for that, Kellermensch need to be applauded. "We're doing something a bit different for this release" is almost always a sure fire way to spot a bad release. Not in this case, though. Far from it. All the tracks are great, even if they're not the usual Kellermensch style. Nacissus is a good place to start for the aspiring Kellermensch fan, but it does not reach the absolutely astounding levels of musicianship and originality found on their debut.

Recommended tracks: Army Ants, 30 Silver Coins

August 26th 2010

good review, but ill pass methinks.

August 26th 2010

Wouldn't expect otherwise from someone with your taste. Is this band in the metal section or something?

sure is haha

August 26th 2010

Should be under alternative :P They're post-punk first and foremost, although there is a very clear sludge metal influence.

August 26th 2010

Same with anathema's new album i enjoyed it quite a bit, but there's no way in hell it should be under
metal.

August 27th 2010

Need this.

November 7th 2010

Where can I get this in the UK? Can't find it anywhere :-(

November 7th 2010

It was only released physically in Denmark, so you have 3 options; Either buy it in MP3 form from Amazon or iTunes, order it physically from their label (Targetshop.com) or pick it up at one of their shows.

November 8th 2010

I don't want to buy mp3s, I'll hope they come back here soon (was away last week when they played). Thanks.

November 9th 2010

I don't feel like buying Mp3's either, and so don't many people. That's why I uploaded the entire album to my Youtube account. If you want to listen to it there, feel free. I'm "DonniShark"

November 9th 2010

Cool, thanks. I will buy it at some point though. Really liking this band atm.