Brand New
Daisy

by DhA USER (19 Reviews)
August 26th, 2010 | 24 replies

Review Summary: This SOUNDS like a band with nothing left to do.

Daisy is an album that highlights Brand New's limitations. Although they are widely praised for their constant growth due to their stylistic change between each album, this album not only marks an end to that trend but also shows up the fact that, for all the distortion, screaming annd ambiguously religious lyrics, Jesse Lacey's songwriting is actually quite limited. It's not a bad album, but songs like "Bed" and "Bought A Bride" are over before they begin - you can, with total accuracy, predict how these songs will progress after the first few seconds. Whilst a band having their own style which they stick to is commendable more than anything, there still needs to be an element that is new and fresh, otherwise we might as well just listen to The Devil and God again. What I found with this album is that the best moments are obscured by woefully misguided "samples" (Vices) or cut short (Be Gone). The remainder of the album has some nice tunes - the closing trio of songs are pretty good - but it never elevates itself to the (unreasonable) levels of expectations that preceeded the album's release.

In addition, Jesse Lacey's lyrical style is beggining to grate - maybe it's not them, maybe I've just gotten sick of it - but the melodrama of his vocals in particular has begun to sound laboured (as oppossed to the "tortured" he would perhaps prefer). Like I said, I enjoy some songs on this, and most of them are not that bad, but I can't see myself wanting to sit through this allbum as a whole too often - the songs have begun to sound too similar and unremarkable, and as a body of work it is well below the bands previous two efforts.

Tyler the Creator BastardKanye West The College Dropout
Gorillaz Plastic BeachBritney Spears The Singles Collection
Busted A Present For EveryoneGirls Aloud The Sound of Girls Aloud

SeanFracture
August 26th 2010

Spelling errors everywhere ("ncie", "begginging", "mroe") and Lacey only wrote the lyrics in their entirety on "Vices" and "Bought a Bride".

Piglet
August 26th 2010

Yeah, might want to break up the paras a bit and add more depth but overall I see where you're coming from.

Sheeple9000

luLz, this review.

greg84
August 26th 2010

I really enjoy the compressed feel of this album. I don't know what's the point of stretching the song out to 5 minutes when you have ideas to cover only 3. Brand New just realised that with this album. So, respectfully I disagree.

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

DhA
August 26th 2010

The length of the songs is a positive I agree, but it feels like a left overs album more than anything else.

greg84
August 26th 2010

I don't know. This is actually my favorite album of theirs. Perhaps because this is their tightest and darkest and I like the combination of these two features.

Locrian

Short review is short.

BigHans
August 26th 2010

correct rating, album sucks hard compared to the previous two.

STOP SHOUTING!

s/b "opposed".
nice soundoff.

DinoX

You rate Brand New a 2.5 I rate yo mama a 2.5

Counterfeit
August 26th 2010

whats with all these dumbass negative reviews lately?

Obfuscation24
August 26th 2010

didnt read, assuming the review sucks cause of rating

August 26th 2010

All we need now is a 1 and 5 star reviews and we have every objective perspective

G3N3R1C

1945 Comments

Daisy > TDAGARIM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the lame Taking Back Sunday rip-off albums they recorded before that.

August 26th 2010

you bring up some good points, but this review is too short if you want to attack a highly regarded album like this.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

ebay
August 26th 2010

All you talk about is the limitations of Jesse's lyrics and songwriting, which is find if that is your opinion, but you really have to explore more of the album to make this a complete review.

August 26th 2010

I have an entire review written up for this album that's a 2.5, but it would be totally pointless to post it.

August 26th 2010

why? if you think you have solid points that you can back up, post it!

Deceptioneer

because we don't need another 2.5 for this heap of awesomness

August 26th 2010

I would post it, and I definitely backed my points up well enough, but with all the reviews here already, don't you think it would be a little redundant? Besides, my perspective of the album has changed considerably since.