Dead And Divine
The Machines We Are

by DustedNation USER (2 Reviews)
August 25th, 2010 | 33 replies | 11,259 views

Review Summary: Though stunning at its core, this album suffers from a few moments of too much noise and not enough music.

The Shins, City And Colour, Jeff Buckley, Bright Eyes, this is the music I have been listening to lately. The introspective, the cerebral, and the acoustic. This has been my playground and my solace for the past year and a half. Enter: Dead And Divine. I haven't really enjoyed any brutally heavy songs since high school. I feel I have outgrown the whole angsty railing teenager-esque sounds that seem all too popular in today's youth. I have been acquainted with this band for quite a few years and have consistently turned to them for my ruthless teeth gnashings. In scouring the vast digital sea for new tunes I stumbled across their newest effort and thanks to "The Machines We Are", I now find myself seriously reevaluating my musical discriminations.

From the very first guitar licks to the final fading feedback on the hidden track it is certain that Dead And Divine have rethought their musicianship. They weigh in with a perfectly well planned barrage of some of the most aggressive songs I have heard to date yet somehow keep their heads on straight and usually remember to give their listeners just enough room to breathe. The heavy handed songs of chaos are interlaced with beautifully choreographed serenades and harmonies. Many bands have tried their hand at both arts but fail to deliver. Dead And Divine is great at both. The pulsating guitars of "Creature" and "Mechanical Orchestra" speak of very well thought out cinematic movements.

The lyrical content of this album strikes such an intensely emotional vein that I almost feel embarrassed listening to it. Vocalist Matt Tobin paints us an explicitly self reflective picture of a life scarred by drug addiction, apathy, lust filled nights, and lost faith. His life is paralleled to the rest of humanity and his vices and demons become our own. Through all the mud and mire there are overtones of the hope for a pure love, a clean life, and the prospect of redemption. Also Matt truly flexes his vocal muscles on this one, not only screaming guttural brutalities but also singing, and beautifully at that, as exemplified so well on the ever evolving "Lovely Bones".

Though this band has more than swept my feet out from under me by introducing a more passionate, sincere side to their hardcore lullabies, they are far from perfect. I fear this album is not for everyone due to its adult subject matter and abrasive screams. The heavy and the light are both well done but many of the more brutal songs on this record sound far too similar. Gems like "The Sugar Sickness" and "Neon Jesus" though heavy as all hell give plenty of room for the listener to breathe and even the muddled and overbearing songs have great moments (see mini break down that starts at 2:40 and climaxes so deliciously at 2:50 into "The Mechanical Orchestra") but for the most part the heavier songs get buried underneath their own weight. D&D seem at least slightly aware of this and offer a few songs to remedy this (the first of which it very aptly named "For Your Health).

Highly recommended overall as they dragged me kicking and screaming back into the world of head banging lung searing music. Though this record is not for the faint of heart and like my review, it contains a few too often used cliches, overall "The Machines We Are" is an extremely well put together contemplation of introspective lyrics and head banging riffs.

Best Tracks:

The Sugar Sickness, Neon Jesus, Lovely Bones

August 25th 2010

Album's pretty swell, Teeth was one of my favourite songs from 2009.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

East Hastings
August 25th 2010

I only enjoyed a few songs from this. It's not bad, just generic and occasionally boring

mathcorejunkie
August 25th 2010

band is from my hometown, i saw a slew of their shows in hamilton and the surrounding area

their demos and lovers lane were reasonable but you could tell that its just going to keep going downhill from there

good review but this sucks

2 things-

1.) I was going to review this, so fuck you.
2.) Someone finally reviewed this! Awesome!

Not a bad review. I disagree with the rating, but you are certainly articulate enough to where I don't have to cyber punch you. Pos'd.

Counterfeit

burrito?

AlienWarrior75
August 26th 2010

one of their better CDs

August 27th 2010

BURRITO

August 27th 2010

Yeah. Neon Jesus is NOT a christian song. It's not an anti-religious song either. It's somewhere in between.

August 30th 2010

Not really. "What is faith, if we don't lose it once in a while". That doesn't equal "there is no god, and conformed religion is bullshit". Know your role, son.

ffs
September 13th 2010

pretty generic stuff but i enjoyed it wanna fight about it? ? ?

September 14th 2010

Or could it be about powerful religious leaders in our society that have been corrupted by their own selfish greed, and how they perceive the people who believe in their faith to be naive? See how easy it is to turn an interpretation into damn near anything? Good job on posting the lyrics though. That really drives your point home. There is absolutely NO ROOM for interpretation, because you are clearly right. I mean, you posted the lyrics, so you MUST be right.

September 16th 2010

Meh, that's not really what I think it's about. I was merely making a point that it's easy to pull a meaning out of your ass, dress it up in fancy tuxedo, and eat a big fucking burrito.

MarkTheDead
January 23rd 2011

Actually, they have not stated that they are anti-religious.
But, they did say some close enough to assume the rest
Here:
"Sorry guys!

Any religious reference in our music is strictly questioning/challenging ideas and, in many cases, we're criticizing organized religion. Don't confuse that as us condoning/supporting anything.

Believe what you'd like, just don't believe that we're a "Christian band". We never have been, we've never signed to a "Christian label" (Rise is not a Christian label, folks), and we will continue to write music and touch on subjects that we feel are important.

Truth: We are friends with bands that affiliate themselves with Christian labels and consider themselves Christian bands. We love those dudes, and back what they do. This, however, doesn't mean we believe in what they believe in. We believe that everybody has the right to follow and believe in whatever/whoever they'd like without being subject to discrimination. We write songs about the other kind of people. Crazy people. Crazy people are obviously just crazy. Unfortunately - in many cases - they use a book as cover.

Thought I'd clear this up. If you're one of those crazy book wielding folks and enjoy our band, promptly find your nearest church and apologize to the ceiling.

Onelove.
Chris/Dead and Divine"

Sounds pretty anti-anything religious
:P

Digging: The Narrative - The Narrative

MarkTheDead
January 23rd 2011

Actually, they have not stated that they are anti-religious.
But, they did say some close enough to assume the rest
Here:
"Sorry guys!

Onelove.
Chris/Dead and Divine"

Sounds pretty anti-anything religious
:P

May 7th 2011

They try way too hard to be The Holly Springs Disaster.

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

May 10th 2011

Songs are composed very well though.

TomArnoldsArmpit
June 12th 2011

This rules so incredibly much.

Nikkolae
June 12th 2011

Band tries too hard to make decent songs.

so says the man digging misery index

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

TomArnoldsArmpit
June 12th 2011

"They try way too hard to be The Holly Springs Disaster. "

Except dead and divine was making music before them.

June 19th 2011