Eels
Tomorrow Morning

by Adam Thomas STAFF
August 23rd, 2010 | 36 replies | 13,456 views

Review Summary: E finally cracks a smile

On Eels Blinking Lights and Other Revelations, Mark Oliver Everett let a bit of sunlight shine through the dark curtains that draped the window of his soul in the form of “Things the Grandchildren Should Know”. Having appeared to have finally come to terms with his relationship with his late father, the physicist Hugh Everett who coined the widest accepted theory on parallel universes, “E” was slowly beginning to shed his depressing world view and social presentation in favor of a more optimistic world view. So now at the dawn of his eighteenth year in the music business, E's black curtains have been torn from the wall with Tomorrow Morning. The third and final entry in the series of releases that also contains Hombre Lobo and End Times, Tomorrow Morning is not only the close of E's love epic, it is also the culmination of the best of his near twenty year career, taking the pop chords and beautiful, yet detached, simplicity of his earliest recordings with the textural experimentation that has spawned some the most intriguing moments of Blinking Lights.

Everett has stated that Tomorrow Morning is an album of redemption, and being so it beams with a warm and understated jovial jaunt that never outlives its welcome and is omnipresent throughout the album. The low key arrangements with their delicate, minimalistic attitude and E's cool as ice voice with its distinctive nonchalance and slightly frayed edge sound even more honest than before, which is hard to believe given that E has spent his entire career plumbing the depths of his life experience with an unabashed openness. When Tomorrow Morning hits higher tempos it absolutely shines, especially the gospel tinged “Looking Up” with its distorted vocals and rapturous hand claps reaffirming the new playful side of E.

In the past an Eels song with a title like “I Like The Way This is Going” would be a sarcastic ode to the bittersweet; a song about being kicked when you're down and then kicked again just to be sure you felt the weight of the world asserting itself, but on Tomorrow Morning E is no longer the miserable loner of albums past, he's finally happy, not only with who he is but with the love he has learned to find.

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
Comeback Kid Die KnowingSlough Feg Digital Resistance
3.3
Joseph Viney STAFF (3)
Mark Everett and Eels lift themselves from the perpetual gloom to deliver an album of surprising opt...

vanderb0b (4.5)
Always look on the bright side of life......

sup Robin

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

DaveyBoy

20821 Comments

Sobhi Thomas.

August 23rd 2010

you should check this out Davey

DaveyBoy

20821 Comments

If he's happy & he knows it, I may clap my hands.

East Hastings
August 23rd 2010

good review. might check this out, heard these guys on Chuck a while back.
just noticed we can't see how many reviews the reviewer has on the review page

bailar11
August 23rd 2010

this better be as good as electro shock blues or enrique will be disappointed

August 23rd 2010

It's as good, if not better, Enrique. Great review, happy to see this album get some love from someone aside from me!

PregnantTeen
August 23rd 2010

i n ever listen to eels i just sonic youth so

Enotron
August 23rd 2010

onslaught of fucking happy reviews

AggravatedYeti
August 23rd 2010

much better than the previous 2.

robin

agreed, mr. thomas =)

SeaAnemone
August 23rd 2010

as good as Electro-Shock? ummmm find that hard to believe considering ESB is kinda extraordinary but ok, will listen obvi

scotish
August 23rd 2010

so, a good place to start with eels?

AggravatedYeti

^ not a bad one.

also this is not electro-shock by a pretty wide margin eric. it may help to not go into the record thinking that (if you iiisss)
but its still r good, just a lot happier.

WatchItExplode
August 23rd 2010

thought this would be a robin review...

August 23rd 2010

ummmm find that hard to believe considering ESB is kinda extraordinary

I was somewhat underwhelmed by ESB, to tell you the truth. I probably need to give it another listen, although, I never really let it grow on me.

KnuckleChowder
August 23rd 2010

So many Indie reviews lately... good review nonetheless.

August 23rd 2010

I think this is better than ESB. Blinking Lights is my favorite and this is damn close.

Kiran
August 23rd 2010

i'm looking forward to hearing happy eels

August 23rd 2010

123 @redsky, BLaOR is the best. Is E's solo album half-decent? I've heard quite a bit about it but never gave it a listen.