S. Carey
All We Grow

by Cam EMERITUS
August 21st, 2010 | 91 replies | 17,159 views

Hey, you guys hear that Sean Carey is the drummer for Bon Iver? Yeah! You (probably) already knew that! That's probably because everything ever written about All We Grow in the past few weeks incessantly mentions that little tidbit of apparently really vital and important information, along with some measure of surprise that All We Grow happens to be a really solid and assured debut, as if it wasn't supposed to be (because he's a drummer right!). If I was a drummer, I'd be pretty offended by now: apparently, you guys really suck at solo albums!

Right?

I guess all these reviewers are just trying to find some narrative to help them express just how surprisingly excellent All We Grow is. Because, seriously: All We Grow is the kind of assured, adventurous debut most singer/songwriters don't get around to realizing until their third album. Songs like "In the Dirt" and "In the Stream" especially prove Carey's wide-ranging talent: the former is an expansive, anthemic effort spurred on by Carey's ingeniously repetitive piano and flute arrangements, while the latter is a tender piano ballad, one that's both emotionally and musically bare, held together by Carey's smooth and affecting voice. Both songs are excellent and moving in their own rights, but it's the assurance with which Carey pulls both very different songs off that's particularly striking.

Both songs also signify All We Grow's two heavily divided thematic factions, with one being the stripped down and the emotionally fragile, and the other being the vast and the expansive. Carey does both with aplomb, but, for me, it's the larger-scaled songs that stand out. These songs indicate that Carey is influenced by more than just Nick Drake and Elliott Smith; bits and pieces of minimalist artists like Steve Reich and Arvo Part creep up in songs like "In the Dirt" and the driving and straightforward "Action", while "We Fell" and the title track's inspired, winding arrangements show special devotion to Talk Talk and the Low Level Owl albums. Carey's exuberance in showing off his wide range of excellent influences and his attempts to create something of equal stature, rather than choosing to just play it safe, helps set All We Grow apart from being just another bland entry into a crowded genre.

At its rare worst, All We Grow can drag a little bit, even at a relatively condensed nine tracks: "Mothers" and "Broken" are particularly a little long. But All We Grow is still a remarkable debut, a perfect companion for these upcoming leafy fall months, and a huge indication of really good things to come. Even if it is by a drummer.

Beach Fossils Clash the TruthBuke and Gase General Dome
Beach House BloomSun Kil Moon Among the Leaves
ASAP Rocky Live.Love.A$AP.Red Hot Chili Peppers I'm with You
Kevin Goldfinger (4)
Carey uses excellent techniques in layering his music, with some very creative percussive elements a...

Hoyas

Range Of Light
recommended by reviewer
Bon Iver fuck

joshuatree
August 22nd 2010

should be s. carey idk why it hasn't changed yet

but yeah this album's really good!

East Hastings
August 22nd 2010

what is this i dont even
who does he sound like?

YourFriendsAreGone
August 22nd 2010

Lol @ recommended by reviewer.

silverleaves
August 22nd 2010

sounds awesome, ill get my hands on this soon

also really well written review, concise and to the point
you actually write some of my favourite reviews on the site

tombits
August 22nd 2010

"We Fell" is breathtaking.

Piglet

ELLIOTT SMITH!!!@211!@!@!1!!!

Kiran

ya this is great

i love how it has that stripped down bon iver mood except the instrumentation is so freeflowing and fluid

tombits
August 22nd 2010

Same here Kirgasm. It's kind of like beautiful amalgamation of Bon Iver's subtlety + atmosphere and Grizzly Bear's fluid instrumentation.

Mordecai.
August 22nd 2010

is this the drummer from bon iver or something

PoodleRapist
August 22nd 2010

i don't know, nobody said

liledman
August 22nd 2010

jagjaguwar have been really pushing this, and im quite interested. ill definitely check this out.

thebhoy

Bon Iver has a drummer?

Thanntos
August 22nd 2010

I cant seem to find the album recommended anywhere. Was it an ep or a demo a while back?

Digging: Prawn - Kingfisher

SeaAnemone

20284 Comments

I probably won't like this oh wait actually there's a 100% chance I will and soon there'll probably be a big red 4 or something above this post ugh

Enotron
August 22nd 2010

^ haven't listened yet, but i'm sure that shit is false

fromtheinside
August 22nd 2010

lol chambered. your opinions are the most hilarious of the site sometimes.

getting this because i know i'll love the fuck out of it. excellent review.

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

fromtheinside
August 22nd 2010

whoa. low blow man. lowwww.

playswithpassion
August 22nd 2010

The only reason I mentioned that he is the drummer from Bon Iver in my news post was just to try and get more people to listen to the album...because it really is a great album.

Enotron
August 22nd 2010

chambered- real simple. for emma is a 5, so this would have to be a 5 to be better

duhhh