Dirty Three
Ocean Songs

by C.F. USER (17 Reviews)
August 20th, 2010 | 27 replies | 10,456 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: These guys started writing songs about the ocean before it was cool to write songs about the ocean.

Dirty Three are one of those bands who seem like they have some intrinsic qualities about them that make it impossible to fall back on overwrought clichés. However, this comes to no surprise when you look at the niche they have carved for themselves; a Post-Rock band consisting of one violinist, one guitarist and one drummer. Their early career includes songs which would start with a very melancholic tone that seamlessly built to such an enormous degree that the volume and power alone could blow your hair back and leave you stunned in your seat. It was truly something to behold. After their previous release, Horse Stories, ran its course, this Australian trio decided to try something new with their follow up, Ocean Songs.

What sets Ocean Songs (an extremely appropriate title) apart from their other work is that it is a much more restrained album. Instead of trying to build up songs to such gargantuan masses resulting in an engaging and intense listening experience, Dirty Three try to capture a certain emotion; the emotion of feeling lost (at sea perhaps?). Such restraint is not an easy thing to do but they execute it to perfection. Every song on here features very slow and splashy jazz drumming accompanied with a subdued and earthy guitar as the violin seems to aimlessly meander through this ocean of loneliness and confusion with every splash of a cymbal or tension- and-release style chord change. When this atmosphere is brought to the table, the listener cannot help but picture being lost at sea and just floating along with every wave as they come.

Upon first listen, this album will probably come across as nothing spectacular: an album that does not know what to do with itself as each song just seems to go nowhere and takes a while to do so. After subsequent listens, however, the atmosphere achieved is something incredibly remarkable. Every violin melody will tug the listener’s heartstrings and every rise and fall of the guitar and drums will give them an extremely lyrical listen; all of this achieved without an atmosphere too intense for its own good but rather one with control and restraint. So as the hopeful Ends Of The Earth finishes, all of those feelings of loneliness and doubt that are portrayed throughout this album are resolved and washed away making this album perfectly comfortable with itself and a very rewarding one at that.

Merchandise / Destruction Unit / Milk Music USA 13 SplitScreaming Females What If Someone Is Watching Their TV?
Milk Music Cruise Your IllusionDicks Hate the Police
Black Pus All My RelationsDillinger Four Midwestern Songs Of The Americas

August 20th 2010

i feel like this needed a review. badly

lobby
August 21st 2010

yeah, this is good, aussie post-rock

PurpleDrank
August 21st 2010

awesome band.. i dont like this as much as whatever you love, you are though

vanderb0b
August 21st 2010

Good review, this sounds pretty interesting.

Skimaskcheck
August 21st 2010

great review, i agree with it too

band is awesome

and the summary made me lol

August 21st 2010

authentic celestial music is one of the best songs ever

August 21st 2010

i was gonna mention that song but i kind of tried to avoid speaking of songs as if they're individual because i feel like this is a more cohesive listen rather than a collection of songs

but yeah it's pretty amazing

NeutralThunder12
August 21st 2010

i want to love this band but I can't. I love their actual approach and style though, but they don't do enough with it. Nice review bro, pos

August 22nd 2010

if you don't like this you should listen to horse stories first, and then this

August 22nd 2010

nah definitely listen to cinder first, then ocean songs

August 22nd 2010

listen to qwe. i only know this and horse stories

GnarlyShillelagh
September 21st 2010

Damn, I was gonna review this, lol. Your review is good though; this album is sickkkk

Butkuiss
July 5th 2011

Loving this at the moment. It's beautiful. And Aussie.

North0House2
July 5th 2011

I totally forgot about these guys.
I keep on seeing their name floating around, and I remember them for a moment. But then, I forget about them before I listen to them again.
Good review. I'm going to actually REMEMBER to listen to this, I haven't in years.

Digging: The Number Twelve Looks Like You - Mongrel

Butkuiss
July 6th 2011

Found this while perusing JB Hi-Fi today, actually. I wouldn't have minded a physical copy. But it was $30. Ah well. Next time.

dayum 30 bucks.

this is so fukn good though holy shit.

July 6th 2011

haven't played this in fo'evah

InAbsentia

This is fantastic.

Xenophanes

It's pretty dece

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

InAbsentia
December 1st 2011

I bought this because of the cover. It's good to be impulsive sometimes...