The Script

poor

by SowingSeason STAFF
August 20th, 2010 | 36 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Typical, simplistic radio-pop that borrows more ideas than it invents.

Nowadays it is difficult to find interesting mainstream pop. In a scene dominated by the likes of OneRepublic, The Fray, and Jason Mraz, one would not expect it to be all that great a task to deviate from the norm. Yet, band after band continues to emulate the current formula for success, and there is perhaps no better example than The Script. The Script’s self-titled debut album takes elements of all of the aforementioned artists, and does little more than mix the styles together to create a new one that is honestly anything but new. The Script may have yielded a few heartfelt singles, but the majority of the album is a mess of filler tracks that wallow in their own unoriginality.

The Script fails far more often than it succeeds, and the inconsistencies present are enough to warrant legitimate concern for the band. From the opening track “We Cry”, vocalist Danny O’Donoghue’s similarities to both Jason Mraz and Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic become apparent, and the listener has no choice but to be underwhelmed by the comparative lack of talent. It is clear that The Script attempts to get listeners to take stock in their lyrics as a means of compensation, but unfortunately that aspect of their music is equally as unimpressive. Songs like “Talk You Down” and “The End Where I Begin” are supposed to be poetic, but end up sounding like they were written by an angst ridden teenager venting his emotions on paper for the first time. “Rusty Halo” and “Fall For Anything” attempt to change the album’s tempo, succeeding only in the latter of the two. As a whole, the music offered on The Script is simplistic and easily forgettable, with little to no distinguishing features to separate one song from another, let alone the band from its peers. This facet of the album provides their biggest obstacle, one that they will have to eventually overcome if they want to establish any kind of artistic integrity.

Honestly, The Script does not really offer much outside of a few mid-album gems that are just catchy or touching enough to be memorable. One example would be “The Man Who Can’t Be Moved”, which isn’t the first song of its kind, but nevertheless is a well-executed ballad with lyrics that might pull at the hearts of the lonely:

Some try to hand me money, they don't understand
I'm not broke I'm just a broken hearted man
I know it makes no sense but what else can I do
How can I move on when I'm still in love with you

The song is immediately followed by the album’s biggest radio hit, “Breakeven (Falling To Pieces)” which features some strong hooks and a continuation on the theme presented in “The Man Who Can’t Be Moved.” Although the musical aspects on both songs are extremely basic, the nature of the songs does not call for impressive instrumental displays. The Script seems to be most at home on the mid-tempo ballad, with frequent incorporation of piano-rock influences and acoustic guitar. Quite simply put, anything else appears to be overstepping both the band’s ability level and their creative ambition.

The Script certainly has its place in modern radio, but that place is not its own. The music present on this record has already been explored and accomplished with higher levels of competency by numerous artists; many of whom blazed such a trail no more than a couple of years ago. Perhaps that aspect of The Script’s music is the most detrimental…often, a band that mimics another’s style is still able to ascend to great heights if released under the right conditions and at the right time. Unfortunately for The Script, it seems their debut album is, at best, a case of the right music at the wrong time. However, one could make an even greater case that they are wholly unoriginal second-rate versions of the real pop-radio geniuses dominating the music scene. The choice is yours, but either way, The Script find themselves in a pickle.

Zella Day Zella DayAndrew McMahon in the Wilderness Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Titus Andronicus The MonitorTigers on Trains Antarctica In Color
Alt-J This Is All YoursYellowcard Lift a Sail
3.1
good
Alice Lopez (3)
It's almost worth the mounds of hyperbolic claims it receives....

Davey Boy STAFF (3.5)
WARNING: This review suggests that there may be an exit from the boy-band graveyard!...

August 20th 2010

1. you reviewed the wrong album (band is in the database as 'The S cript')
2. don't agree with the rating
3. pos., because you're still cool =]

we cry, the man who can't be moved, and breakeven are all good songs.

Digging: Scott Walker and Sunn O))) - Soused

August 20th 2010

I saw this didn't have a review and gave it a pretty quick write-up.

I heard "The Man That Can't Be Moved" and "Breakeven" on the radio constantly, so I downloaded this expecting it to be half decent...the only other song I found to be remotely enjoyable was "Fall For Anything." So needless to say, I was disappointed.

Digging: Zella Day - Zella Day

August 20th 2010

well that sucks. i'll have to ask one of the mods to merge it under "the s cript"

August 20th 2010

I haven't heard all of this so you very well could be right, but I've heard about half (from my mom, lol) and it sounds closer to a 3 for me.

vanderb0b

Good review, man. Pos.

August 20th 2010

I actually was thinking this would be a 3-3.5 before I listened to the whole thing, then it dropped like crazy. Outside of a few tracks, it just feels so uninspired and boring.

Prolapse
August 20th 2010

I added this top the database, the band is really fucking irritating tbh

bailar11

use your powers as se7en to destroy them

August 20th 2010

so it is YOUR fault that I put this review up wrong! ;)

and yeah they irritate me too, outside of the few tracks that I mentioned in the review

Fugue
August 20th 2010

Oh my shit, it actually says "The Script", not "The" or "The S cript".

Knott-
August 20th 2010

The End Where I Begin rules though. And Talk You Down. And Breakeven.

random
August 20th 2010

Band is painfully boring.

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

Oy... The Script (& The S cript) is my domain. LOL.

Yeah, I reviewed this album, but the Sputnik database simply doesn't like the band (read: the word 'Script').

As per my review, I obviously disagree with the rating & thoughts set out in this review, but I can understand why many would feel the same as you do SS.

August 20th 2010

yeah, i asked for it to be merged under the correct artist (The S cript).

and honestly davey i can see why people would think this is a 3 or 3.5; that's what i expected it to be after hearing the man who can't be moved and breakeven...but imo the rest of the album is just...blah

August 21st 2010

woo it is under the right artist now! : )

you brought down the average rating by .1 =[

MarkvandenBerg
August 21st 2010

Many of the songs on this album are really good!

August 21st 2010

Just got around to this. Great review, I was thinking of avoiding this, but now I think I'm sold, lol. Pos

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

August 21st 2010

thanks for the positive feedback, i wasn't too sure about what rating to give this album...from an objective standpoint i could have justified anything from a 2 to a 3.

tiesthatbind
August 21st 2010

I thought of checking this out cause Breakeven is one of the better radio singles I've heard recently. I imagine I'd probably agree with this review more than DaveyBoy's though, so I'll steer clear of this for now. Pos.

Digging: Poets of the Fall - Signs of Life