A Perfect Circle
Mer de Noms

by sulkenigma USER (10 Reviews)
August 14th, 2010 | 74 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Poetic lyrics, eloquent concept, meaningful song titles, atmospheric production at times... but guess what... it can be for casual listeners as well!

This is what managed to strike me the most: how the majority of the songs were so instant. A perfect example is the opener ‘The Hollow’. From the first listen, I adored this song; with anthem-esque guitar hooks and a concise build, it was a pleasant surprise to not have the expected sentiment “I-don’t-know-if-I-really-like-it-until-I-hear-it-1000-times” which ultimately proves that this creation is by no means a Tool Mark II.

It’s Maynard’s distinctive lyricism-vocalism combination that passionately paints the primary picture for A Perfect Circle. His immortal phrase “I don’t want to feel this overwhelming hostility” on the fifth track ‘Orestes’ is portrayed with modest ambition, a rare trait for a vocalist. He also manages to further balance contradictory emotions on ‘3 Libras’ in which he sounds disciplined yet unchained and liberated. His emotive reputation is significantly justified with ‘Brena’ as well, possibly the most expressive tune on this release.

It is not simply Maynard’s influence that epitomises the group’s sound, however. Billy Howerdel’s guitar can range from simplistic, stadium-anthem status (‘The Hollow’, ‘Magdalena’ and ‘Judith’) to a soft, acoustic lull (‘3 Libras’, ‘Rose’ and ‘Renholder’) while still retaining enough originality. My personal favourite is the solo nearing the end of ‘Sleeping Beauty’ which is an album highlight, strengthening with repeated listens, yet still providing enough interest upon first impression. The drums are also modest and crucial, as they provide irregular beats on a regular basis. The simplistic and trouble-free piano on the final track, appropriately named ‘Over’, is beyond what any potential complex rhythm can achieve in terms of effectiveness. The string sections on a handful of songs also intricately decorate the delicious cherry on the top of this enchanting pudding.

However, this particular pudding can appear very calorific to some; as those who dislike the post-grunge recipe may not click with this record and find solace in another gastronomic outlet. The track ‘Renholder’ comes across as uninspired, especially being placed straight after another acoustically-opened song, and this song’s dull factor begins after around 30 seconds. This track also seemingly only made it onto the album as a means of attempting to build upon a spiritualistic notion (concept over substance, perhaps?). A couple of tracks also appear to run out of momentum around half way through, such as the song ‘Thomas’ and ‘Thinking of You’, although the latter boasts an impressive melody at times.

Overall, this release still results in a promising debut. All the ingredients are existent with room for future potential, which was exemplified with their 2003 follow-up ‘Thirteenth Step’. While not for everyone who’s a fan of rock music, the general talent within the group will live on and inspire masses, this album is a statement that rock music will live on through the millennium!

Muse The 2nd LawSwervedriver Ejector Seat Reservation
Oasis Standing on the Shoulder of GiantsThe Smashing Pumpkins Oceania
Elbow The Seldom Seen KidMastodon Crack the Skye

greg84
August 14th 2010

Wow. What an extensive review! Love this album. Not a fan of track-by-track revs though.

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

August 14th 2010

Lol. I have no room to talk about giving an album an undeserving 5, so I won't say anything about that.

On the other hand, try to review the album as a whole next time. It is actually easier to write AND read once you get used to it. Decent review for getting your feet wet though.

Apollo

here's my advice:

Do not do a track-by-track review as they are generally despised on this site. Try and be less personal. Focus on the music, not on what was happening in your life at the time (no offense but this is the internet and no one cares). I won't neg because it's your first but this needs a lot of work

Harro Apollo

August 14th 2010

ah lala, ça fait beaucoup de lecture.
awww, too much to read.

theacademy

A TOUT LE MONDEEEEEEE

Digging: Chris Brown - X

MER ET MONDEEE

déjà vu

August 14th 2010

I have cut down the length of my review and removed the track-by-track reviewing method.

Thanks for the advice.

Romulus
August 14th 2010

never got the huge deal with this band to be honest. i've seen worse first reviews but it seems like other people have already hit the don't do a t-b-t deal so I won't go into it

fr33convict