More Than Life
Brave Enough To Fail

by Spec USER (44 Reviews)
August 14th, 2010 | 28 replies | 5,020 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "This is reality, i'm nothing but a faceless name."

A lot of people say that sadness inspires creativity which is debatable, whats not debatable is that it helped me finally overcome writers block and create this review. Every once in a while theres that album (or in this case ep) that just hits me so hard that I have a hard time even expressing what I just heard, so I will do my best to put it into words.

More Than Life hails from the United Kingdom along with other hardcore rockers such as Dead Swans and Architects. They have the same definitive hardcore sound we have all come to expect but with an added twist. Brave enough to fail features so much passion displayed in the vocal work, as could be expected from a band like this, but with an added twist. The instrumental work showcases just as much emotion as the vocals do. From every drum hit to every guitar strum, the listener is overwhelmed with such extreme emotion that it may prove too exhausting for some. For the others that take in the six songs at once they will no doubt hear something truly original.

The intro begins with some rough sounding but still clean guitar chords and right from the first inclusion of the drums, I felt goosebumps form. The song "Faceless Name" is the perfect opener on what seems to be a perfect EP. The song showcases everything the bands about from the crushing instrumentals to the passion displayed in them. "Save myself from broken dreams" is a standout line shouted in such a sincere way that you can almost feel exactly what vocalist James is feeling at the time. A drum roll kicks off "In Hindsight" which launches the listener into a topsy-turvy roller coaster ride of hardcore at its finest. "Fear" is the albums epic closer which does its job perfectly... it leaves the listener still wanting more.

I highly recommend this album to fans of any kind of music, not just hardcore but every kind of music. Modern songs appear to be losing touch with what music has always been about... making the listener feel something, not just making money. Every track is a recommended track.