Infant Sorrow
Get Him To The Greek

good

by David James Young USER (181 Reviews)
August 13th, 2010 | 48 replies | 11,894 views

Review Summary: "You missed an awesome party. I woke up with glitter on my dick."

He’s loud, brash and arrogant to the point of a messiah complex. He’s equal parts Mick Jagger, Bono and the Gallagher brothers, with a hint of Johnny Rotten for good measure. From his heavily teased hair to his vintage clothes, his image doesn’t so much scream “rock star” as it hollers it from the nearest skyscraper. He is Aldous Snow - and if he wasn’t a work of fiction, he could well have been a roaring success at one stage of the past twenty years.

Get Him to the Greek sees British comedian-cum-megastar Russell Brand take both the character of Snow and his band, Infant Sorrow, to a completely new level. The entire soundtrack of the film is presented here as a release by the band, with Brand himself singing on all but one track. It might seem a tad excessive to most; potentially stretching the joke too far - and at times, this certainly is the case. When it’s on target, though, there’s more than a few laughs to be had as Infant Sorrow compile their greatest (read: most ridiculous) hits from their eight-album “discography”.

Unsurprisingly, we’re mostly dealing with sex, drugs and rock & roll on Get Him to the Greek. “Riding Daphne” leaves very little to the imagination as Snow croons of the titular character taking “my manhood in her throat”, adding that “she knows the Heimlich/She won’t choke.” Punchy opener “Just Say Yes”, meanwhile, sees Snow offering himself up as a particularly crude drug metaphor: “Snort me and chase me and swallow me whole/Or take me up yer arse if that’s the way you wanna go!” Much like the film, it’s completely ridiculous, yet is consistently hilarious entertainment - and it’s so spot-on in its parody of self-indulgent, sexist rockstars that it’s actually scary.

Occasionally, the tracks only work as an audio companion to the film, and without context the songs might not reach their full potential. Take “Furry Walls” for instance - on its own, a ludicrous anthem of nonsense (“All around are furry clouds/Look, here’s a furry dove”); and yet it revolves around one of the funniest recurring gags of the film. The best advice to give listeners would be to see the film and then grab the soundtrack, but the fact that the humour is often based on compromise is a little odd.

The music, with a strong group of session musos, is well-arranged and catchy. Given, it’s mostly generically-structured, ballsy rock & roll, but in a way that’s kind of the point. “The Clap” is one of the soundtrack’s highlights for this very reason - the main guitar riff comes off as the evil cousin of “My Sharona”; but for the T-Rex glam-rock stomp that it is, it’s entirely effective. Lyrics like “We got the clap/Can’t be beat/Got it off the back of a toilet seat” don’t hurt either - at least, not nearly as much as the disease being sung about.

At some points, the jokes of Snow’s uncontrollable lifestyle and ego does grow a little tired. “Bangers, Beans and Mash” could have been a b-side for The Killers at their most dreary, and “I Am Jesus” takes a one-sentence gag and attempts to stretch it out into a three-minute song. The tracks with Jackie Q - played by Rose Byrne - could have also been cut from the final release, as scoff-worthy as they are the first few times if only for their complete lack of subtlety. Still, once the fat is trimmed you’re looking at a quite entertaining body of work.

It’s definitely not everyday one sees such a dedication to character as Brand has shown to Aldous. Get Him to the Greek might not have years of lasting humour, but for fans of both Russell and the film itself, it’s all but icing on the comedic cake. Stroke the furry wall and take a bite.

The Presets PacificaLast Dinosaurs In A Million Years
Every Time I Die Ex LivesDarren Hayes Secret Codes and Battleships
Wanda Jackson The Party Ain't OverPhrase Babylon

Mordecai.
August 13th 2010

is this movie any good? i want to download something, pretty bored

AtavanHalen
August 13th 2010

I loved the movie, definitely worth checking out.

Spare
August 13th 2010

woah this actually exists that's pretty funny

Digging: Radiator Hospital - Torch Song

ebay
August 13th 2010

haha love they actually were able to make an album out of this, pretty great movie too.

Spare
August 13th 2010

yo david have you heard the everglow by mae? it's not in your ratings you'd probably love it

Asiatic667
August 13th 2010

The sad part is, I don't think it's an act.

Rev
August 13th 2010

I brush my teeth to this shit

WhiteNoise

Movie was hillarious.

Digging: Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)

Captain North
August 13th 2010

From that description, Aldous Snow IS Russell Brand.

greg84
August 13th 2010

I wasn't aware they made the whole soundtrack to this hilarious movie. Good review. I may check the album out.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

August 13th 2010

hehe i remember when i wrote the band description

Hawks
August 13th 2010

Haven't seen this movie yet. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is my favorite movie though. Russell Brand and Jonah Hill are hilarious.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

Kubrick
August 13th 2010

This movie was not as good as Forgetting Sarah Marshall IMO. I really loved FSM because it played off awkward situations and you really grew to care about the characters rather than just want to see them make fools out of themselves. Get Him to the Greek wasn't necessarily a bad movie... it just takes a totally different route. It was all just crass, over-the-top sexual humor in the vein of nearly every other R-rated comedy. Don't get me wrong, this movie was much better than the average R-rated comedy (which isn't say much honestly), and it definitely has its moments. But, those moments are padded very thickly with the typical raunchy humor that doesn't stand on its own for me. At the end of the day it was pretty forgettable... if you're expecting something like Forgetting Sarah Marshall you're gonna be disappointed.

ebay

sputnikfilms.com

Kubrick

I'd be so there haha

East Hastings
August 13th 2010

i am mindfucking the shit out of you right now

Deviant.

Baaaaaad movie

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

August 13th 2010

he was brilliant in forgetting sarah marshall

he's fucking katy perry

sniper
August 13th 2010

Movie was amazing, won't bother with this.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation