Gojira
The Way of All Flesh

by Fillifax USER (1 Reviews)
August 11th, 2010 | 28 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I once heard someone review this album with the sentence "Gojira is so heavy it will kill you, burn down your summer home and eat your pets". I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm going to start with a bold statement: This album is fantastic.
I'm not one to be overly hyped by stuff, nor to just give out perfect scores, but this album truly deserves it.
This is why:

The first song I heard from this album, and, at the same time, the forst Gojira song I heard at all, was Vacuity. I instantly fell in love with it, so much that I heard it from YouTube from my computer standing on a closet near my bed, pressing "play" everytime the song had finished, until I fell to sleep. THat's how much I loved that song, and it was the only reason I bought the album.

I didn't really expect much from "the other songs" but I was blown away: Vacuity, despite instantly being one of my favourite songs, bleaked in comparisson to the rest of the album.

First off, the CD is very, very heavy. It's agressive, and it's heading straight for you. The drums are especially outstanding on this album.

The starter, Oroborus, shows off some amazing guitarplay, as if to give a taste of just how good Gojira is technically, while progressing into a very catchy death-metal song.

The follow-up, Toxic Garbage Island, is extremely heavy and well executed. It never gets boring and just pounds away like a freight-train going from the music to your brain.

A Sight to Behold is the weirdest song on the album, as it sounds like a cross between death metal and techno; something I normally wouldn't care for, but Gojira really pulls it off and creates perhaps one of the best tracks on the album.

Yama's Messenger and All The Tears are straight-forwards, no bull***, balls to the wall death metal songs, something that Gojira does extremely well. Enough said.

Dividing them, however, is The Silver Cord, which seems to be an interlude. It's very soft, melodic and peacefull, with no singing, as if to make you calm and relaxed. It somehow doesn't seem out of place, it's just different from the rest of the album. You know that "soft" song that's always on a metal-record? Perhaps this is meant to be it, just simplified and cut short. It could easily be compared to Unicorn from From Mars to Sirius.

After All The Tears comes Adoration For None, which blew me right out of the water. It is difficult to pick the best song from the album, but this is a strong contender. The singer from Lamb of God sings in duet with Joseph Duplaniter, and it works flawlessly. It starts off heavy on stays that way to the end.

Next is the ten-minutes long The Art of Dying, which starts out with tribal-style drums, building up to the first chaotic verse and then into a more melodic main-part of the song. A lot of the track is purely instrumental, and it works great with musucians of this level. The drummer, Mario Duplantier, really shows off some highly impressive skills on this track, and it is perhaps my favourite of the bunch.

Esoteric Surgery is faster and more melodic than most of the others, which is not at all a bad thing as it is executed properly, as I would expect from Gojira. It is perhaps the most accesible song on the album, together with Vacuity, but it's still heavy as hell.

Vacuity is a pounding, heavy, ear-smashing track, and I love every second of it. If you haven't heard it, go now: It's a great way to be lured into the magic world of Gojira.

Wolf Down The Earth is nothing special, and is propably the most "boring" song on the disc (that's not saying a lot, mind you).

The last song, The Way of All Flesh, is like extremely heavy and classic Gojira. It's a great song, nothing more needs to be said.

All ion all, this is my favourite album of all time. So there you have it; a flawless 10/10

East Hastings
August 11th 2010

this is one of the better TBT (track-by-track) reviews ive read but try and stray away from this format in your future reviews, as not many readers will enjoy it. this is a decent first review, although you sound very fanboyish (which isnt always bad) and don't exactly back up a classic album with your opinions (your description for wolf down the earth doesnt match up with your conclusion of a flawless 10/10). but ill pos

Deceptioneer

decent t-b-t

canatunaman

what hastings said

Mordecai.

WHERE DRAGONS DWELLLLLLLLLL

angel3327279
August 11th 2010

I'm kinda like Van Hellsing, and I'm hunting links of london charms those twilight-fags. Getting this to links of london the front page would really be a great help. Thumb up for a great cause.

Mordecai.

wat, the fuck

DonniSharK
August 11th 2010

One of my favourite albums of all time, and my all-time favourite band. Certainly wouldn't call this record flawless though.

lauriej
August 11th 2010

ok review, but stay away from things like "It's a great song, nothing more needs to be said." because its a review, the reader needs at least SOME picture of what it sounds like if you're gonna go down the TBT route

Digging: Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

rasputin
August 11th 2010

this is one of the worst bands ive heard

August 11th 2010

Album is great, but the review is pretty fanboyish (and I know, I wrote a t-b-t for my first and mine sucks worse). I can understand where you're coming from as I myself am a Gojira fanboy (they're THE band that got me into Metal). It's okay to love a band to that extent, but don't let it worm its way into your writing.

webbtje
August 11th 2010

Much as I like Gojira, this does not deserve a 5!

Raz0rGrind23
August 11th 2010

I enjoy this album. It can get a bit redundant but it still rips.

Not a bad review but clean 'er up on the next one.

Locrian
August 11th 2010

Okay for a first. Definitely wouldn't give this a 5, though.

fr33convict
August 11th 2010

I dnot get why this review has gotten nagged so many times.
1. It's his first review.
2. It's really not that bad.

August 11th 2010

its an extremely thinly-veiled tbt

and a pretty shit one at that

August 11th 2010

I think it's because he 5'd this. This is not a 5.

much closer to a 1 than a 5

Nah, it's at least a 4

Locrian
August 11th 2010

Nah, it's at least a 3.5.

August 11th 2010

i dont get the love for this band (well this album) at all. its not heavy, its not particularly interesting or technical, and its far too long