Feeder

2.0
poor

by robin EMERITUS
August 10th, 2010 | 23 replies | 7,034 views

Review Summary: careful what you wish for.

I’m certain Renegades is supposed to appeal to someone but I can’t think who. I think it’s supposed to be me; I was one of those fussy diehards just longing for Feeder to roll back the years and create another Polythene or Echo Park, records that plugged in and rocked out but didn’t forget their pop priorities.

The real problem is that those punk-y diehards, yours truly included, have been saying this since Comfort In Sound and their reward has come three records down the line. Now it’s hard for them to know if they want that group of kids in their life because seeing them grow up has been half the fun of being their fan. For all the complaining, records from Comfort In Sound onwards were the band’s truest accomplishments because they showed a maturing band, a group responding to tragedy and producing songs that weren’t just about getting laid or installing cup-holders into the glove department of their car. The sentimentality of each record was startling and the balladry that accompanied it proved that the band needed their emotion on the surface of things. And tracks such as “Miss You” and “Just The Way I’m Feeling” were the result.

On Renegades the band hold true to their word and create that record of high-voltage, no-frills punk rock, whatever you want to call it; it just isn’t sappy and sad, and that’s by their design. But fans will rue the day they made that pledge, because this isn’t Feeder anymore. It was Feeder nine years ago, granted, but now each track sounds like a shell of what it should be. By definition, Renegades is supposed to be a raw interpretation of Grant Nicholas’ and co, with each song left in its skin and dressed up none. But raw musicianship isn’t raw Feeder, and less certainly isn’t more: tracks such as “This Town” and “Barking Dogs” fall flat on their face because they emulate the glory days more than they speak for themselves, and a lot has happened since the glory days. With one member now missing from the original line-up, the grungy fuzz and the attitude that goes with it is simply unbearable when it comes from the band we’ve had develop feeling and understanding, and the fact that they can’t channel these things into their old sound is probably the most devastating conclusion to make from Renegades. It acts simply to show us what cannot be done.

Even with its eleven tracks, only one needs to be looked at to draw the line in Feeder’s career at 2010. “Call Out” takes the crown on Renegades at least statistically (it's the best-bet single, you could say) but it sounds like a crushed version of “Miss You,” the same for its musical structure but having the feeling made naked. Now thought and feeling isn’t important to Feeder, which is what every fan wanted; another rendition of “Buck Rodgers” to pump up and down to. But we could still do this with “Miss You,” and if we hadn’t been bitching and moaning we sure would’ve. On “Call Out,” Nicholas describes the very song he is singing as invincible: “You can’t take that away.” So much for the song – give me the words any day.

His Hero Is Gone Fifteen Counts of ArsonSuperchunk I Hate Music
The Weakerthans Reconstruction SiteThe Waterboys This Is the Sea
Owen At Home With OwenTimes New Viking Dancer Equired
2.6

August 10th 2010

really shitty write up for an album it's rly hard to write about but i feel i should

AliW1993
August 10th 2010

Nah this is a good review, pos'd. I pretty much agree, I wasn't expecting much but I still found this really disappointing.

August 10th 2010

agreed, my expectations for this were so low ever since the renegades side-project thing, but i didnt think it'd suck this much.

August 10th 2010

never really listened to feeder, good review though robin

thankyou kane =)

don't bother, you'd be all "this isn't sonic youth"

August 10th 2010

god i hate bands that aren't sonic youth or at least try to be sonic youth why can't every band do that

August 10th 2010

it's the biggest tragedy of our generation

August 10th 2010

the biggest tragedy of any generation

klap

negative robin review wat

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

i hate stuff real bad

August 10th 2010

you beat me to it. agree almost 100%. 'Sentimental' and 'Down to the River' are the only good songs. Dont' get why they threw 'Time Goes By' away.

August 10th 2010

also I dropped my rating to a 2 because I realised that 'Call Out' is the worst Feeder single in history. It makes 'Tangerine' sound like lyrical genius.

August 10th 2010

haha pretty much. you should still submit a review if you've written one since, well, i'd read it =)

Ponton
August 10th 2010

yeah this was disappointing, silent cry was pretty solid shame

good review

August 11th 2010

I haven't finished it yet, and I would have to listen to the album again in order to do so...this is the main crux of my dilemma. I really don't want to have to hear it all again.

AggravatedYeti

i hate stuff real bad

like feckin Beat Happening jeez

August 12th 2010

but dylan, i love beat happening.

klap

1.5 wut

August 12th 2010

seriously this is like feeder trampling on my being 12.

AliW1993