Thrice

by Adam Thomas STAFF
August 8th, 2010 | 164 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The reason I eat, breathe, and sleep music

Music is my obsession. If I have any free time you can bet that there's a good chance that I will either be writing it, listening to it, or searching for it. It has become the glue that, along with my friends and family, holds me together. My journey in becoming the elitist, asshole of a music snob that I am today would have never gotten off the ground if it wasn't for Thrice. When I started middle school, I, like just about every other kid out there whose brain had been morphed and over-saturated by modern rock radio, was enamored by the likes of Linkin Park, Metallica, and Blink 182, but in 2002 I was introduced to Thrice and never looked back. Thrice sparked a fire in my heart that still burns brightly to this day. Not only did The Illusion of Safety get the ball rolling on the pathway to music nerd-dom, it was the inspiring force for me to pick up a guitar, and through shared connection helped establish some of my longest running friendships.

The Illusion of Safety is the perfect post-hardcore album. For proof of this just look at the thousands of bands that popped up after its release, trying in vain to capture the power and and majesty hidden within its thirty-eight minutes. The Illusion of Safety perfectly blends harsh screams and blistering guitar work with clean vocals and addicting, hook filled melodies. One only needs to listen to “Deadbolt” to understand why. Teppei Teranishi's intro riff has become the genre's defining moment, not to mention when it resurfaces in the chorus under Dustin Kensrue's soaring vocals it sounds as though all the energy in the world is focused through your speakers and into your being. But not all of The Illusion of Safety's power lies within its furious side. “So Strange I Remember You” and “See You In the Shallows” showcase a perfected version of the melodic punk of Thrice's debut, Identity Crisis, with resounding sing-a-long chants, punk beats, and fast power chords, making even the best songs from their debut sound like immature growing pains.

Dustin Kensrue's lyrics on The Illusion of Safety are among his most personal. While still not as refined as what he would offer up on later releases, found within the literary references and religious allusions of his words, Kensrue's struggles with faith, dogma, and friendships are the backbone for his poetry on The Illusion of Safety. Yet instead of the global existentialism of “we” that made Vheissu so uplifting for its fans, Kensrue's struggles on Illusion are his and his alone making it a much darker place, melding perfectly with the heavier instrumentation of the album.

It's strange looking back at an album like The Illusion of Safety, as it was so pivotal in the construction of my musical DNA. Maybe its greatest legacy to me is that every time I listen to that closing refrain in “To Awake and Avenge the Dead” I still get the same chill down my spine as I did almost a decade ago when I listened to it for the first time, inspiring me to try my hardest to out do it, but like dogs running after a mechanical rabbit at a race track, all I can do is try, ever continuing to strive for perfection.

At the Gates At War with RealityWeezer Everything Will Be Alright in the End
YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Mikedrummer (5)
Damn close to perfect....

Neoteric (4.5)
Thrice create something emotional and ultimately melodic, possibly one of the best albums from this ...

Michael Roberts (5)

Athom

Great review

albums okay

omgraptors

lol if you know any better post-hardcore albums please enlighten us

kingjulian
August 8th 2010

Sick album. I like Artist a tad better and Vheissu a tad more, but this thing is phenomenal. Yes, it is ALL about the closing of To Awake And Avenge The Dead.

kingjulian

Voivod

Monumental first paragraph.

Prettty much describes my relationship with music.

an ignorant's question:

Where does this band stand musically in comparison to - let's say - Mastodon or Burst?

Digging: Fly Golden Eagle - Quartz Bijou

Greggers
August 8th 2010

Congrats on 100 mate; great review for an awesome album.

lol if you know any better post-hardcore albums please enlighten us

Fugazi - every album
Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command

there's just a few, if you want more leave a message in my shoutbox, k?

TheAngelScream
August 8th 2010

Awesome read. Love this album and Thrice.

Athom
August 8th 2010

@ voivod: less complex, less proggy, less metal, more punk influenced. with the amount of bands that have played this style over the last decade it's lost a bit of it's punch for a first time listener, but it's still worth checking out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01IxzUjYS0w

PregnantTeen

nice work adam

Voivod

@ redskyformiles

Thanx a lot man.

Sometimes i get really saturated from my metal listens and i want to listen sth that matches your description.

klap

congrats baby

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

Romulus
August 8th 2010

Great review and congrats on 100 but I definitely wouldn't put this as the best post-hardcore album ever

fivesnw
August 8th 2010

the cleans on here get so annoying, good thing the rest of the music makes up for it

HaloDude442
August 8th 2010

Amazing review, and this album is still in my top 5 of all time. I have the vinyl, and this album will never lose it's magic. This is music at it's finest.

fivesnw

ov-er-ra-ted *clapclap clapclapclap*

eternium
August 8th 2010

Congratulations on 100. Awesome album and truly amazing band.

FelixCulpa
August 8th 2010

Nice review, and in your opening paragraph about TIOS basically describe my relationship to Vheissu when I was first introduced to Thrice, except that guitar part. And congrats to a 100!

theacademy