Zao
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

by aScannerdarkly USER (4 Reviews)
August 8th, 2010 | 327 replies | 17,036 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

This is quite a suitable album for me to submit my first review on Sputnik. The reason is simple. It has to be one of my, let's say, five favourite albums ever.

After finding their real sound with Where Blood And Fire Bring Rest, Zao come back to perfect it. With an album that is perfection on its own.

You might have listened to a lot of metal, a lot of hardcore, a lot of metalcore, a lot of music in general in your life. But this one won't remind you of anything. And this is the point where someone becomes, from simply an artist, a Great Artist.

This album is dark, painful, almost sinister. And achieves this by not using the usual tools to succeed this. The darkness and despair comes from the music's very soul.

So, what will I hear if i listen to this? one will ask. The simple answer is, metalcore (only because we have to describe it somehow - it's far beyond any categorisation) at it's best. Riffs (mid tempo mostly) that can easily break your neck. Riffs that sometimes are just not right... But somehow that is enchanting. That's not all to it, though. Without being really melodic, slow, atmospheric or whatever, Zao manage to sound extremely emotional and mournful. Without mellowing their music the least. You will hear some really heavy explosions, you will feel your spine numb, you will feel your head stand. And, above all, you will hear Weynadt's serpentine hiss, crying out his despair like no one has ever done before.

It is an album about human emotions, about scars, about life and death. It' s an album about the human creature.

Hell is only a word. Reality is much, much worse.
These words are heard as the album's intro fades out. And these words can describe what this music and these poetic lyrics are all about.

Stand out tracks? Well, really, ALL (even the instrumentals). If I really have to choose, however....
If these scars could speak (with this title, how could it be anything less than excellent?)
The ghost psalm (A quite fast track that will make you go crazy... and then will come the ghostly, heartbreaking ending that will stay in your head for hours after).

5/5
A monument of modern music

Savannah the Ghost (5)
"Hell is only a word. The reality is much, much worse..."...

Nate (5)
From the vocals, the guitar riffs, and the drums, each member puts their all into the 40 minutes of...

August 8th 2010

It will of course make your hair stand, not your head...

Voivod
August 8th 2010

awesome review for a first. Pos'd

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

SpottedTrout
August 8th 2010

I was just just thinking that this needed a review.

Just a few criticisms though.
-Don't capitalize "Great Artist"
-Try to use parentheses as little as possible, your writing will flow much better with out them.
-Talk more about the music and what it sounds like rather than song titles and such.
-Make paragraphs at least 4 or 5 sentences, it makes your thoughts seem more concise.
-Exempt the first two sentences, they aren't needed.

Very good first review though.

kingjulian
August 8th 2010

Pretty awesome for a first. Pos'd

August 8th 2010

Yeah, fix up your grammar and spelling errors a bit and I'll pos. Otherwise I will neg! :P

This is my second favorite Zao album.

Apollo

not bad first review

August 9th 2010

As far as grammatical errors are concerned, i will ask you to forgive me, as english is not my mother tongue. Apart from that, thank you for you kind words. But i suggest, let's talk about the music!

August 10th 2010

Sorry, the site just has a high standard for writing. Fortunately, if you plan on writing more reviews the forums have a proofreading thread where they can help give you tips on your reviews.

About the music, the chanting section on "The Ghost Psalm" gives me chills every time.

August 10th 2010

I am not complaining, I like reading and writing, if I can, quality texts, and I am trying my best. It's a good thing the site tries to keep high standards. I must say however, I have read reviews in much worse English around here. As I have also read really professional reviews, of course.

August 11th 2010

Yeah most of the really poor ones are from a few years ago. People didn't care as much then.

Ponton
January 12th 2011

Yeah this is rather great

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

HeathenTemple
September 28th 2011

This album used to be 25 bucks on iTunes. Luckily it has since gone down so now I can buy it at a reasonable price.

JokineAugustus
January 10th 2012

One of my favorite bands with my favorite album. Wish these guys got more credit.

Digging: Trash Talk - 119

September 6th 2012

Awesome album.

JokineAugustus
October 7th 2012

Spec's gay. Album is best metalcore album ever.

Fluttertrank