Brand New
Daisy

2.0
poor

by honeysuckle USER (5 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2010 | 46 replies | 3,579 views

Review Summary: ...um

Brand New aren’t a very good live band – they’re messy and off-key and out of breath and it doesn’t suit them. So listening to their albums is uneasy for me because I know how much the sound has been manipulated, and it really has. Some very high-spec s*** has been used to record this stuff considering the amount of overdubs, double tracking, triple tracking and all those effects, and for what? Daisy has been an obsolete album right from its release because it offers absolutely nothing you haven’t heard before. Loud-quiet-loud, guitars with echo, guitars with distortion, curdled screams, whispered lyrics about scornful women and tired religious imagery. Deja Entendu – they’ve said it before themselves.

Why care about anything this band has to say on this album if they’re not even going to make an effort to make it interesting? It sounds like all of the songs were written in one sitting; maybe all of the ideas came from one especially noisy jam, maybe Lacey and Accardi were sat in their rooms knocking these songs out three at a time, thinking they were on a roll or maybe their label was pressing for an album out sharpish and they panicked these songs onto a record. But they did manage to squeeze in some old-fashioned sounding, off-beat recordings here and there to relieve the plainness of it all (the little snippets of prim and proper piano accompanied singing happen to be my two favourite parts of this album, so I guess Brand New kinda ruined it).

None of the songs try to build tension without just becoming louder and messier; I was desperate for one track to do something unexpected, and I listened through the title track Daisy, its introduction making me feel hopeful, willing it to do something different, but it didn’t – it plodded along until making the lazy musical gesture of tossing some more noise and distortion at my ears in a failed attempt to excite them. It was disappointing. It was a struggle to even bother myself with the remaining two tracks because this album had made me feel sad and why the hell do I want that?

As melody goes, all of it lies flat among hackneyed guitar riffs and bang-crash drums. It’s the kind of thing you might force out through writers’ block, yet they have made an attempt at at least one interesting idea in “Be Gone”; short and indecipherable, it’s the only track that made me actually want to pay attention while listening to it. The rest of the album could have really done with some more experimentation, even if it was the pretentious Elbow kind of experimentation. Bang a stick off a radiator and shout over that instead because at least we haven’t heard as much of that.

As individual tracks they’re just your average punk songs, which makes them listenable, but put them together in an album that you have to spend 40 minutes listening through and it gets worse and worse with each passing 3-minute-block. Hopefully they have another album in them, because to finish with Daisy would be to go out with a slow grind, and they’ve shown some definite energy in what they do, so it’s a matter of whether they can renew that somehow.

Terrifyer
August 2nd 2010

good review, album is alright

AliW1993
August 2nd 2010

I disgree, but this is an excellent review, pos'd.

BigHans
August 2nd 2010

Maybe I need to listen to this more but I honestly think this album blows, especially in comparison to the previous two.

rasputin
August 2nd 2010

definitely wouldn't classify myself as an enormous brand new fan but this review is average

qwe3
August 2nd 2010

second last paragraph is really good

BigHans

Go listen to Alligator Chambered u crazy foo

Dylan620
August 2nd 2010

I like what I've been hearing off of this, but it's not as good as either Deja or TDAG.

Digging: Dream Theater - Awake

SoapySoap
August 2nd 2010

I'm not gonna lie, this album was a disappointment when I first heard it, but after a few listens I got over the fact that it isn't TDAGARIM part 2.

dylanthedesertpea
August 2nd 2010

when i saw them live they were pretty freaking good.

Nikkolae
August 2nd 2010

and i still have to listen to this ...

Digging: We Came Out Like Tigers - Ever-Crushed at Pecket's Well

Prolapse

wtf album rules

Deceptioneer

hahahahahaha. review is wrong

August 2nd 2010

This album is soooo borderline average.

Maniac!

pos'd

brand new is 3 at the most on every album

Zip
August 2nd 2010

I agree with the first sentence

August 2nd 2010

Strongly disagree with every single point in this review. From what I've seen on YouTube, Brand New sound fantastic live. I should neg it just because it says it sounds like Deja and is full of average punk songs, which is insane.

honeysuckle
August 2nd 2010

I didn't say it sounded like Deja Entendu. The title is French for "already heard" and it ties in with the point I made about this album having nothing you haven't heard before.

I'm not big on all these sub-genres that are about, so Brand New in a broader sense do fall under the punk genre.

Thanks to everyone else who didn't neg this for silly reasons.

August 2nd 2010

Sex Pistols, Fugazi, and Pg. 99 fall under the punk genre, if you want to be really broad. I can't think of a band that sounds a lot like Brand New.

Maniac!
August 2nd 2010

it is decently written and negs aren't necessary.

personally i save negs for horrendous reviews

August 2nd 2010

I didn't actually neg. Just thought about it.