Fantomas

by Brendan Schroer STAFF
July 30th, 2010 | 14 replies | 6,043 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ...

Mike Patton's sure an interesting person. He's surely one of the best vocalists of our generation (along with being an awesome composer/keyboardist), but his works are definitely not accessible. Take any of Mr. Bungle's records (perhaps excluding California, one that's actually a bit sane), for instance. The first album was pure insanity, blending funk, prog, jazz, and bunch of other wild elements into one giant mixing pot. Disco Volante was even crazier, bordering to downright creepy. After the Bungle years, he created a project called Fantomas, named after a French crime novel.

This particular work, the mysteriously named "Delirium Cordia," stands out from the others in Fantomas's collection because of it's sheer length, clocking in at 75 minutes. Basically, the record sounds like the equivalent of a horror movie soundtrack (something Patton might have intended to make, considering his mind), but with one exception: YOU are the victim. That's right. Especially if you listen with headphones, everything will feel like it's happening to you. This includes, but is not limited to: Surgery, voices, light piano sounds, indescribable noises, crashing waves, etc.

The members surprisingly have little to do in this album. Mike Patton is really the star of the show here, while the other members just generally do other supporting noises/riffs. Dave Lombardo actually contributes to some cymbal noise and drum rolls for ambiance, but little else here. Buzz "King Buzzo" Osbourne does really low, distorted guitar fills through moments of tension. To be honest, Trevor Dunn doesn't do much of anything here, aside from riffs with the other band members. Again, Mike Patton rules most of the music here.

As with most ambient listens, this record will turn off a lot of listeners. There are especially some moments that will scare the living *** out of you. When lying in bed in the dark, this becomes even scarier, mainly when you just anticipate something to happen in the utter silence of a part of the piece. However, there are some instances of relief from the sorrowful creepiness on occasion. For instance, there is a portion of the song where a Hawaiian easy-listening tune is being played. Don't hold your breath, though, as that will disappear soon enough.

Also, there are plenty of moments that sound like you are a victim, as has been said before. As an example, there is a portion where surgeons are operating on a body, and it sounds like the tools are scraping at you madly. Unless you are patient and can handle that creepiness, you won't last for even a minute of the incessant craziness going on. Likewise, some noises will leave your imagination to fill in the rest, as they're pretty indescribable.

Overall, this album is not for the light hearted in ANY way. If you are a Mike Patton fan, looking for risky and daring music, or a fan of ambient works, I'd suggest checking it out as it's quite good. Others, I'm afraid, might be turned off by this album.

Or maybe it's too scary for them.

Fantomas lineup:

Med57 EMERITUS (3)

dr2den

nice summary

July 31st 2010

I fucking love this album

Maniac!
July 31st 2010

It's scary. Sounds like my kind of album. Will get this, have a pos for drawing my attention to this.

July 31st 2010

I remember the first time I listened to this (at night and outside, to be fair) the first big crescendo around the five minute mark scared the shit out of me and actually made me take a little break before I kept going

Maniac!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

earboner

It's like 1:14:17 of really vicious scary sex

July 31st 2010

Patton seems to have a fascination with surgery

malpractice
harelip (references being awake during surgery)
this record

and there's another one I can't remember

dr2den

ud think so

Zettel
July 31st 2010

Good review. Greatest Fantomas work for me, although I can just listen to it once in a while.

Bitchfork

NO MERZBOW WHAT HELL

Counterfeit
August 1st 2010

fuckin amazin

Counterfeit
August 4th 2010

i might be seeing Primus in october.

conesmoke
October 23rd 2013

The first sentence of this review makes no sense. Other than that great job. This album is a unique listen.

InbredJed
November 17th 2013

This is a stunning accomplishment.