Backstabbers Inc
Kamikaze Missions

by Satan Kitty USER (1 Reviews)
July 30th, 2010 | 68 replies | 8,150 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We are not your fucking friends. Not now. Not fucking ever.

Would you say you are an angry person? Do you spend the majority of your time trying to come to terms with the sheer volume of things you absolutely cannot stand? I think if I were to choose a word to describe myself it would probably be ‘angry’. That is to say that over the years I’ve become rather bitter and resentful towards practically everything – and yet having said that I still don’t hold a candle to the sheer pissed off fury that seems to have possessed the members of Backstabbers Inc. However don’t get me wrong, this isn’t Converge. There’s no heartbroken whining about that one girl you would have done anything for, but found one night making out with your best friend. No sir, you’ll find none of that here. Instead the band chooses to hate on just about everything else, running the gamut from meaningless friendships, useless employers and yep, you guessed it, the government too.

Stylistically the band falls into a similar vein as that of the late Cursed or Tragedy, combining visceral hardcore with leanings towards crust punk and a slightly more metallic sound. Unfortunately, as is the case with a great many hardcore releases, the songs do have a tendency to blend into one another and can, somewhat disconcertingly, sound a little similar on first listen. Thankfully this isn’t too big a problem since that one song they appear to be playing over and over again just so happens to be rather ***ing fantastic. Their noisy aural assault is propelled along by an incredibly competent drummer as well as the production of one Kurt Ballou of Converge fame, who has yet to let me down on the production front. The mixing is, for fear of sounding like something straight out of Goldilocks, just right – by that I mean the bass is satisfyingly audible and the killer drumming sticks out amidst the guitars which are used here more for atmosphere than anything particularly flashy.

While Kamikaze Missions is certainly not flawless, it is an incredibly solid hardcore album by a criminally underlooked band that proves to be a testament to what aggressive music should be. It’s uncompromisingly intense however remains oddly catchy at points - just try listening to the gang chant at the end of ‘Even Slaves Will Be Swimming in the Blood of the Iron Fist’ without wanting to shout along. Go on, I dare you. Gang chants aside, when it comes down to it Backstabbers Inc. ultimately deliver exactly what they set out to, an absolutely scathing social commentary filled to the brink with sheer passion, conviction and nihilistic rage.

July 30th 2010

this was way too much work never doing this again

how to say absolutely nothing with a bunch of words

July 30th 2010

[img]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/image.php?u=283231&dateline=1280529943[/img]

RubberDucky
July 30th 2010

a slightlyepic review??? will read momentarily

RubberDucky

absurdly good 1st review

Bitchfork
July 30th 2010

what slightly you stopped trolling and wrote a review? Become a regular sputniker, why don't you.

July 30th 2010

doesn't it feel good to sell out?

but seriously, review is good

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

EyesWideShut
July 31st 2010

one of the best Hardcore albums of the decade right here, and should get the attention Defeater, Carrier, and Verse and all that other shit gets on the site.

"this was way too much work never doing this again" - i thought about this being my first review than came to my senses.

July 31st 2010

oh man this is selling out? well I mean it's probably not going to happen again I'm way too lazy

July 31st 2010

also I completely agree with you EyesWideShut, this is horribly underlooked and should get a lot more attention than it does, although it is a much less accessible style of hardcore than Defeater, Carrier etc.

July 31st 2010

and bitchfork I have never ever trolled what are you talking about

July 31st 2010

Good review Slightly, i'll check this out

July 31st 2010

sweet, I hope you like it

SteelErectedb4you8er
July 31st 2010

I have been meaning to check this band out for a long time. A couple of the dudes from this band are in Trap Them as well.

July 31st 2010

trap them actually originally began as a side project of some of the backstabbers inc members, I prefer backstabbers inc to trap them though

SteelErectedb4you8er
July 31st 2010

Yeah, I know it was a side project originally, but I don't know to each their own. I love Trap Them because of the entombed influence, guitar tone, and bite. However, I will check this out.

July 31st 2010

yeah if you're a fan of trap them I can pretty much guarantee you'll like this at the very least

TheAngelScream
July 31st 2010

glad to see this reviewed. great record!

July 31st 2010

so this is what it's like to have an approval rating, feels good man :')

BigTuna

reviewing sucks

Digging: Common - Nobody's Smiling

July 31st 2010

yeah I mean I'm never doing it again I just figured this could be a novelty review