Coheed and Cambria
The Second Stage Turbine Blade

by Dylan Wachman USER (44 Reviews)
October 3rd, 2005 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Band: Coheed & Cambria
Album: Second Stage Turbine Blade
Release Date: March 12th, 2002

Rush??? I donít think soÖ

There have been a trillion mixed opinions about Coheed and Cambria. Some will whine about the genre (whether they know it or not) like there is no tomorrow. Some will claim that they are amazing progressive rock that shouldnít be missed. But the others (like me) will just call them great music and worry about labels later.

Coheed and Cambria began a project in New Jersey under the original name ďShabutie". Their goal as a band was to tell a story in the form of a Homeric Epic. A Homeric Epic is a long narrative poem, usually having to do with a male hero. These poems started in the 600B.C. times and those of you familiar with Greek Mythology, ďThe Odyssey" was a classic Homeric Epic. Well anyway, they played at the usual nightclub gigs and became famous in the underground scene. It wasnít until their second album, ďIn Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3" was released that they made it big.

Second Stage Turbine Blade is the bands first cd and it rocks. It combines pop/punk with acoustic and even throws in some metal elements. No pounding bass lines, just really fast paced songs with some screaming here and there. In my opinion, itís the best album of 2002. So finally, hereís the review forÖ

Coheed & Cambria Ė Second Stage Turbine Blade

Second Stage Turbine Blade Ė This track is mainly an intro to the album. Itís just ambiance and its all distorted. What it is, is piano and strings and it lasts :48 seconds. There really isnít much to say about this at all.

Time Consumer Ė This song starts of pretty slow. It has some pretty cool drum fills in the beginning, with noises. Then Claudio joins in. His voice carries the song nicely. As for most, this is the first time youíll hear his voice. Donít be creeped out by the pitch. Youíll get used to it as time moves on, you will learn to love it. Anyway, this song has a pretty simple guitar riff, but the real great thing about this track is the vocals. Claudio does and extremely good job here. In the bridge you hear the title repeated quite a few times. By the way, this is the first step in the world of CoCa. This song pretty much describes them. Itís really progressive, with some really good singing and drums. Anyway, as this track closes out, Iím left wanting for more. Thatís a primarily good feeling now, because a great track is up next.

Devil In Jersey City Ė This helluva track starts up and you hear the words ďShabutie" giggled as the song begins. Itís a pretty misleading track because itís like a childís voice then tossed into heaviness. The verses in the song are adrenaline pumping while it slows down a little for the chorus. To put it in a sentence, this song is all about being out late and getting raped as your left helpless with your boyfriend knocked out. Well if you know the whole story, then you know what Iím talking about. Anyway, the chorus is ďDonít let them scare you, when youíre DOWN / On the floor bleeding. I swear, youíll be home really soon." As the bridge kicks in, there is some really light guitar. Then Claudio says some words and suddenly, there is tons of screaming that kicks in with the chorus being repeated over and over again. As quick as the song started, it fades out into our next track.

Everything Evil Ė This song starts of pretty slow. But Claudio is pretty much screaming in the silence, as the only noise is light guitar. There are seriously like, no instruments until a minute and a half in. Then the REAL song starts up. Some really great vocals provided by Claudio and swift guitar lead the chorus like piece of the song. Then itís back to the slow [verse?] Sorry, this song really jumps around a lot. Anyway, as the song moves on, it gets heavier. If you know the story, this is when Coheed ďAl Ė CaPWNs" Josephine with the hammer. As the song comes to itís final run, you hear some pretty nice screaming with the really fast guitar behind it.

Delirium Trigger Ė This is probably the heaviest song on the album. It is loaded with screaming and deadly lyrics. This is a lovely repertoire of music but the song gradually moves into a slower paced track. But please, trust me that it doesnít end like that. In the last :45 seconds the song comes back for an extreme meltdown. Claudio is literally screaming his heart out as the song hits itís lovely conclusion and mends perfectly into the next track.

Hearshot Kid Disaster Ė This is a song that starts out with a cool guitar riff. Then Claudio gives an uneasy scream that kind of makes you shudder. Itís like a little girl after she dropped her ice-cream cone in the sand :p. Ahh, I cant bash Claudio on that because his screaming is pretty damn cool here. In the chorus, the vocals are at their best. In the middle the song slows down a lot and the guitar plays some of the coolest riffs Iíve ever heard. Then you hear the bassist screaming, ďPLEASE MAKE IT STOPPPPP!!!!!!" This is a cool effect in the song. It makes it sound really epic (well, most CoCa songs sound this way). In the end, this is one of the better tracks on the album. I have no complaints here.

33 Ė This is one of my favorite songs on the album. It is really fast paced and the guitar riff is really awesome. It sounds like a frantic chase scene. This is CoCa playing pop/punk at their finest. Actually this song is about getting Patrick to the hospital after getting minorly owned by Coheed (disregard this comment if you donít know what Iím saying). This is one of the shorter songs on the album, only coming in at about three minutes. As it ends, it leaves me wanting more of 33.

Junesong Provision Ė This track begins with some talking and then a soundbyte from the game ďDead To Rights". This song is all about being dead and having a bunch of loose ends that you never tied up. It goes over the feeling of losing those you loved. This song is played in acoustic. The lyrics are really good, and when the plain guitar gets boring, youíll hear some pretty random noises that come out of nowhere. This track is really beautiful and shows the other side of Coheed and Cambria. It shows that they are extremely talented musicians that could play pretty much everything they wanted to. The song ends and leaves you with a tingly feeling inside.

Neverender Ė This song starts off with some heavy metal guitar and really cool bass. The vocals are sang slow, but the guitar keeps itís pace, even through all the slow vocals. This is not my favorite. Itís just kind of boring in my opinion. The slow vocals kind of ruin it. Well, the instruments are still great. The pinch-harmonic sounds really good in the chorus. It has that whine on the guitar that gives goose-bumps. As you hit the bridge, the vocals speed up a little. Claudio switches to yelling and it sounds good with the already cool instruments. I guess you could say towards the end, the song gets a lot better. As it fades away, we hit the final song on the album.

God Send Conspirator Ė It starts off fairly slow but picks up with the steady guitar pace that carries it. Claudio has some really cool points in this song. His vocals standout at certain parts of the song. At times, heíll scream but five seconds later itís a whisper. So I guess the vocal variation is really good here. The drums also standout more than usual in this song. The fills are stunning as the song hits its bridge and the guitar is louder than ever. Oh yeah, this song is twelve minutes long. Just kidding, well, sort of. Five minutes of it is music while the other Eight is piano and acoustic. The acoustic is played very well although it sounds just like Junesong Provision. I guess this is sort of like, an extra track.

Final Thoughts

- The vocals are really unique in Coheed and Cambria
- They sound a little like Rush.
- The whole album is conceptual, and the story is fantastic.
- Where is this band going next???

4.5/5

Rancid Let's GoThe Lashes Get It
Kaddisfly Do You Know People Can Fly?Streetlight Manifesto Everything Goes Numb
The Briggs Leaving The WaysSoundtrack (Film) A Clockwork Orange
user ratings (1950)

pulseczar
October 4th 2005

those colours are pretty "whack". when i heard Co&Ca had a girly voiced singer, i was expected Billy Corgan, Geddy Lee or Brian Molko girly. but this is more THAN ALL PUT TOGETHER. i don't like it.

YDload
October 4th 2005

You must have the newer version of the album because "Junesong Provision" is not supposed to be acoustic or have soundbytes in the beginning of it.

papercut_heart
October 4th 2005

It sounds like you downloaded the album or something... because that version of Junesong Provision isnt on the album, and Everything Evil is immediatley started off with drums and then guitar and Claudio's vocals.

Decent review, anyways.

Damrod
October 4th 2005

Great album. I like IKSSE:3 just a tiny little bit better. This is ahead Good Apollo though.

3.75/5

DesolationRow
October 4th 2005

Galopogos, when I first heard them, I thought Claudio was Geddy Lee on heavy drugs. :p

Good review, but I just can't get into this album as much as IKSSE:3 or Good Apollo.

Rudd13
October 4th 2005

In Keeping Secrets does beat this by a long shot...This Message Edited On 10.11.05

Captain_HumpYourFace
October 4th 2005

I love/hate this band so much. Lyrically, musically they're brilliant but no matter how hard I try I can't get into the vocals. This is coming from a guy who can listen to a LOT of bands with crap singers and still enjoy it but I just can't listen to the vocals and not want to tear my hair out. I mean he hits the notes he's aiming for just fine but the sound he makes just drives me insane.

Anyway, that aside great review and the worst C&C album yet, that doesn't mean it isn't still a good album though.

YDload
October 4th 2005

I don't even think this should be a legitimate album review, since it's obviously not the real version of it.

NEDM
October 4th 2005

nah, only Junesong Provision was off a little. iTunes screwed me over on the download so I had to borrow my friends version of it. After hearing how good it was, I had to check it out.

marsvolta
October 4th 2005

claudio began the band as shabutie, josh travis and mic soon joined. none of the members knew the songs told stories other than claudio, who had been writing the framework in high school. this is the most raw album, and coheed has significantly changed since this time. most of
these songs were written by sole members in the band...and do not properly showcase their skills. in keeping secrets was mainly written by claudio, and do to time constraints, i feel the album is lacking in certain areas(however songs that the band had been long performing, were amazing, see the title track, and the crowing both performed literally years before at select shows). I still love this album, not a weak track and the lyrics are amazing.

Society Sellout
October 5th 2005

Actually I think Junesong is when Claudio returns home to find his family dead and debates weather or not to kill himself and writes a note to Newo telling her what he might do. Of course no one really knows the true interpretation.

But anyways amazing album, dispite the bad production it had me hooked from the first listen.

Damrod

Bad production...?

Sure, the prodcution of IKSSE:3 was better, but it's not really bad on this one.

ddrfreak62
October 5th 2005

I love this album. I really can't choose witch(sp? sry i just woke up) album of theres i like better. They all have there amazing songs.

Society Sellout
October 5th 2005

True the production wasn't BAD it just wasn't as good as the other's.

incubus62086
October 5th 2005

this is pretty much my favorite album by them, quite a good release

NEDM