Mose Giganticus
Gift Horse

by Tim Verhoeff USER (19 Reviews)
July 28th, 2010 | 9 replies | 6,258 views

Review Summary: A great effort from a one man band and already on top of my list of records of 2010.

I first heard of Mose Giganticus a few months ago when I heard they got signed to Relapse. In my dictionary Relapse = Quality, so I had to check out this band. The older songs on their Myspace page were okay but didn’t really impress me. Then I selected ‘The Left Path’, the song from their upcoming album, which came blasting out of the speakers and simply blew me away. Once again Relapse acknowledged why I have such faith in them. It opened with a simple and straightforward riff similar to Mastodon’s Blood and Thunder, but then the melody line kicked in and it wasn’t sludge, metal, hard-rock, prog or sympho but some ultimate melting pot of all those styles.

Their Myspace page says Metal/Grunge/Live electronics, but that doesn’t do their sound justice. Think Mastodon playing Blood and Thunder style riffs, but using their Crack the Skye sound and atmosphere, then mix in some synths to create a huge anthemic sound and sometimes even some spacey vocals through a vocoder and you’ll have a good idea of the sound that Mose Giganticus produces.

Gift Horse is a metal album with grooving hard-rock riffs, great prog-like epic songs and synths that add to the grandness of the sound, yet this still feels like a band that knows their sludge and is never trying to be anything big or fancy. From the epic verses of ‘The Left Path’ and ‘Days of Yore’ to the driving power riffs of ‘Demon Tusk’ and ‘The Great Deceiver’, Gift Horse just declared itself my ‘Record of 2010’.

The only negative thing I can say about this album is that it’s too short! It has only 7 songs and doesn’t even reach the half hour mark. But then again that just means I can play this amazing record twice an hour. And that’s exactly what I’m going to do for the next couple of hours. And if you like Mastodon or Baroness and you don’t mind a little synth action so should you.

Bruce Lamont Feral Songs for the Epic DeclineMajeure Timespan
Mount Moriah Mount MoriahLesbian Stratospheria Cubensis
Aethenor En Form for BlaKiss the Anus of a Black Cat Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water
3.2
good

Wizard
August 2nd 2010

19214 Comments

In my dictionary Relapse = Quality

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately with this release, I wish I could agree with you on it being a 4.5 but it's just too sporadic for my liking. They have a better band on their roster called Genghis Tron, check them out if you love this. Good review btw.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

76TVs
August 2nd 2010

Love Genghis Tron,
Have listened to this record a lot, still love it, but have to agree on the sporadic comment. The 4.5 might be a bit to high.

sexpoi
November 19th 2010

man this sounds pretty cool. im gonna check it out and genghis tron. great review too

REUS
November 24th 2010

Why hasn't anyone stated that the first track is the biggest rip off of The Bit by the Melvins. Seriously its in cease and desist territory!!!!!

REUS
November 25th 2010

Come to think of it the vocals refrains on The Left Path are stolen from The Melvins "The Talking Horse".

GibTG
February 2nd 2011

Oh be quiet, so what it's slightly easier to identify their influences.

pedro70512
April 7th 2011

Everything ever recorded was stolen from the Melvins. They've been covered by Mastodon, split an EP with Isis, toured with Neurosis, and wrote the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony.

omnipanzer
May 25th 2011

Not typically my thing musically but "The Left Path" sucked me in and now I'm really digging this
album.