This Elegy, His Autopsy

by Adam Turner-Heffer USER (38 Reviews)
October 3rd, 2005 | 16 replies | 7,387 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Beecher – This Elegy, His Autopsy

It still seems an odd choice that it was Earache Records, famous for its elitist death/black/grind metal roster, which signed Beecher. Granted, this is the same label that picked up Dillinger Escape Plan when they needed it, but a hardcore/math/noise band like Beecher? Still, neither band nor label will be complaining considering what a masterpiece this album is.

Manchester’s home grown Beecher have been building a reputation for themselves for quite sometime, helped by tracks like “Dead for Weeks", but on their first album, they never really escaped the sometimes brilliant hardcore/noise sound Converge have been perfecting and defining for years. This time however, all has changed.

‘This Elegy, His Autopsy’ is a stunning work of not just the sound that made them initially, but an eclectic mix of everything that makes metal music so good. Brilliant energetic opener ‘Its good weather for Black Leather’ and single ‘Function! Function!’ are great examples of what they can already do, but even better, suggesting why it was a good idea for these to be the opening songs of the album. Because the rest of the album is a descent through the dark and varied sounds heavy metal can offer. ‘Not Guilty’ is the first example, being a sludgy track which falls into a lo-fi sound on its way, most reckoned to Old Man Gloom’s sound. However on first listen it will sound like a trick, as the next track ‘And on the day that he became a human plumb-line’ can be recognised as something an emo-punk band would create, and is the lightest moment of the album, with its mainly instrumental likeable guitar sounds and light production.

This yet another welcomed variation to keep the listener on their toes however, as it leads into thrash/grind metal track ‘Psycho Galvanic Skin Response’, a track which will blast you through a brick wall due to its sheer velocity. And this album will keep surprising you like that. In an awe-inspiring, energetic way, this album successfully notes all of metal’s sub genres; Thrash, Death, Black, Grind, Math, Sludge and even Stoner on the drug addled bass ridden riffs of ‘Man the Traps’ (a potential follow up single).

Full of surprises and never wanting to come down, this is an essential album for anyone who enjoys heavy music. It goes through a tour of all the classic metal styles, while keeping it fresh in an original way, much like Refused’s ‘The Shape of Punk to Come’. It’s not surprising that the last 4 minutes of 8 minute finale ‘Reach up to the Gods’ is simply ringing out, this time is spent for the listener to come down from the adrenaline rush this album makes, it’s just that good. Make sure you catch this album live and cherish it, you’ll regret missing out on such an exciting time.

Adam Turner-Heffer

British Sea Power Do You Like Rock Music?November Coming Fire Dungeness
Interpol Turn on the Bright LightsGodspeed You! Black Emperor Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas...
AVAST! FaultlinesFucked Up Hidden World

Raiven
October 3rd 2005

I really like this album. It's heavy and complex but with a damn addictive groove.

Malice
March 29th 2006

Excellent review.
I'm absolutely shattered that Beecher broke up, as they were and still are my favourite band. They are amazing.

Confessed2005
March 29th 2006

A guy on MSN sent me a couple of songs by these guys; reminds me a little bit of Converge. Good review.

Justanothernimrod
April 19th 2006

yeah they're a bit like converge, a bit more accessable, influenced by metal and slightly more varied though.

And british. I'm really glad I got to see them live before they split up

xx

Confessed2005
May 19th 2006

Shame these guys split up; I downloaded a lot of their material and they were such an awesome band. One of Britain's best underground acts.

georgeiv
July 27th 2007

'and on that day...' is brilliant, as is the rest of this album . rip beecher

LastLight
December 17th 2010

Who else is stoked that these guys are getting back together?

accompliceofmydeath
December 18th 2010

Weird, I was just reading an interview (from like 5 years ago) with the band. I haven't heard any of their stuff. Is this a good place to start?

accompliceofmydeath
December 18th 2010

K, thanks.

blazebaileyfinnegan3
April 22nd 2011

Great review, underated band. Doods hav balls

July 23rd 2011

My name is Beecher!
I heard about these guys a while ago when I searched my name on google to see what popped up. At the time I didn't enjoy them very much but my musical interests have changed (for the better) and now I'm really into these guys.
Awesome review by the way!

July 23rd 2011

yep

wacknizzle
November 8th 2012

Great album, this band is so overlooked. I need to review Breaking The Fourth Wall, that album is amazing, it really deserves one.

Digging: Burrow - The Collapse of Time

CrimsonLies
May 19th 2014

2012 Comments

This is awesome but can't compare to Breaking the Fourth Wall

JokineAugustus
July 9th 2014

No review still for that

Digging: The Chariot - One Wing