Prayer for Cleansing
The Tragedy

by regular stormy USER (27 Reviews)
July 26th, 2010 | 29 replies | 6,426 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Epic melodic death metal harmonies, oldschool metalcore breakdowns.

More-so than any oldschool metalcore release, would I consider this a precurser to the modern sound of bands like Through The Eyes Of The Dead, As Blood Runs Black, and Conducting From The Grave. On The Tragedy, Prayer For Cleansing has completely honed their sound, and, *gasp*, the production doesn't suck. Even the bass is audible. The only unfortunate aspect is that it's only three tracks... which is no biggie because it's all executed perfectly.

This has every cliche that's used in modern metalcore and deathcore, but so much less predictably and well done. The first track, "The Closet" starts out with an intro that has been ripped off by any number of southern bands, be it Tell Her I Said Goodbye or The Damascus Intervention, you can see where they drew their influence. But the song takes a darker twist than most Gothenburg influenced bands in the scene, almost a black metal tinge that you can hear in Glass Casket as well. There's even slam breakdowns, but not too slow, and not out of nowhere, the song has perfect transitions, great drumming, even during slow parts, and well, Dave Anthem's vocals are a lot stronger than on Rain In Endless Fall.

Track two, "When The Sun Kisses The Morning" is probably my favorite melodic death metal influenced metal song, ever. The riffs are just epic. Perfect harmonization, perfect switches from slower to fast tempo. The breakdown in the middle is extremely moshable. And repeated at the end... the transition into it is very reminiscent of what Through The Eyes Of The Dead work into the outro of "Autumn Tint Of Gold."

And the final track of the album, an odd interpretation of "Salvation" by The Cranberries. It somehow works, I guess it's the punky undertones. The clean chorus is a nice surprise. I just find it really funny that Anthem is screaming over this song, but it's really fun.

So pros:
Awesome vocals - raw, high rasps, decent, sparing, lows
Awesome guitars - lots of variation between riff structures and tempos
Audible bass (lol metal)
Awesome drums - dude can play well with the varied sound.

Con:
Lyrics

Manners Pale Blue LightCavities Within The Wings
Smile To The Wind MomentsIron Lung White Glove Test
Gas Up Yr Hearse!! A Banner Year For The Sum of Our LossesMorser & The Swarm Split
Savannah the Ghost (4.5)
An album that effortlessly clears the table of many metalcore competitors....

Flut (4.5)

July 26th 2010

Short review, but the EP is short so yeah.

RosaParks
July 26th 2010

Doubt this is a 5. Idk why. I'm just not sure. I'll check it out.

Also, posd

July 26th 2010

Underrated band is underrated. Pos.

Counterfeit

only perfect 5 on sputnik. obvs best album evarrr

July 26th 2010

This EP really has no flaws for what it is. It's extremely ahead of its time.

bailar11
July 27th 2010

enrique likes most of mellany's skramz. will check out.

July 27th 2010

Oh wow, a negative vote, how surprising!1!!

July 27th 2010

Enrique dis is more metal than anyfing.

NeutralThunder12

not a 5

July 27th 2010

I bet you're the one who negged the review because OMG I DISAGREE ON THE RATING.

Seriously kids, if you're gonna neg a review, at least explain what you think should be improved, otherwise it's just insulting and pointless.

East Hastings
July 27th 2010

dudes from btbam were in this band, right? i have rain in endless fall but i gotta get around to listening to it

Motiv3
July 27th 2010

i have rain in endless fall but i gotta get around to listening to it [2].

July 27th 2010

Rain In Endless Fall rules, but this is better if briefer.

July 28th 2010

Terrible review, you're not 16, so stop putting out lazy reviews.

Neg'd

July 28th 2010

How does this not describe the album and why I like it? It's not a "lazy review", it's a review of a 3 track EP, should I write some 5 page dissertation full of "intelligent wording" to cater to pretentious twats like you?

You're such a moron. :/

July 28th 2010

Idk dude, this review just seems incredibly juvenile. Didn't you take some online courses or something? I'd like to see them pay off.

I look forward to seeing you progress, good luck.

July 28th 2010

Yo, remember when you got owned on the online courses thing? And remember how that was two years ago, and not for English? And remember how I've never scored lower than a 95% in any English course, even on the collegiate level?

I wrote a concise description of the album and why I like it, that's not what juvenile means.

July 28th 2010

BTW, saying this is, "juvenile," doesn't explain how this doesn't describe the album or my rating clearly

July 28th 2010

Take it easy Mappy, you'll do better next time and I'll praise you in return.

July 28th 2010

I just think you have really stupid standards about everything.