Dr. Acula
Below Me

1.5
very poor

by mcg182 USER (11 Reviews)
July 24th, 2010 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Maybe it's time we fire the family doctor that keeps taking blood samples with his mouth.

Deathcore has some average to good bands, like Suicide Silence, BMTH, and Born of Osiris. Dr. Acula isn't one of them. Dr. Acula doesn't sound like a friendly doctor, obviously. But you have to know when it's bad and when it's good. Many people like the band and this album because "it's fun". Really? Let's try to make this as painless as possible. Their talent is almost entirely wasted (if they had any) on just the first half of this album. It sucks when death metal tries to copy mainstream artists like Nickelback. These guys did that, by biting off of Nickelback's ability to make crap, hock it, and then make a load of cash. It also breaks my heart when the former members of My Bitter End, a good band, have fun creating "trash metal" (a tag for bad metal), or in this case "trash-core", together unintentionally. I know, it's dissonance in deathcore. But what about the good riffing, the good breakdowns, and the good music? They don't have that. After listening to "Shocker on Shock Street", I decided to see how horrible the album is as a whole. However, to avoid wasting money, I listened to the album on YouTube.

The first track (Beer Pong Massacre) is actually not that bad. It's a listenable grindcore track that's actually kind of fun to listen to once in awhile.

However, the next track (Why I'm Afraid of Bees) is the first sign of crap that you hear. Sure, maybe not much of it, but still there.

Then the song after that (Night of the Living Dummy) makes it look like each song is progressively worse than the previous one. It's pretty average.

Up to here (Go Eat Worms) is when it sounds catchy, but then the party turns into a date rape. Skip the "deathcore" bullshit and just maybe you might actually like the song.

"You Can't Scare Me" maybe acceptable to some people. To me, it's less than average. "Look how ***ing cool I am now" is the ending lyric, and this is where I suspect the band thinks is the best half of the album starts, but they couldn't be more wrong.

"Shocker on Shock Street" is the song that made me hate Dr. Acula. Listening to it again on YouTube doesn't make it any better. I'll tell you right now, skip this song!

"Piano Lessons Can Be Murder", so is this song. I couldn't wait till this song was over. The annoying samples are the best about this song, and if they are annoying as hell, what does that say about the song?

"Say Cheese and Die Again" has some great riffs and instrumental work, but the horrible vocals stand out the most. I ignored them and found the song acceptable.

"Monster Blood" has the one guitar riff and it's good at the beginning, then everyone else comes in, and it becomes total BS. The bass is almost completely out of timing. The breakdown is great, but is again overshadowed by the horrible vocals. Then, the bridge shows that the instruments are horrible (like we need a reminder) and then the outro. It's good, except the vocals are total dog shit.

Next is "The Cuckoo Clock of Doom". Truly the worst song I've ever listened to, making it the worst on the album.

"How I Got My Shrunken Head": The band's attempt at funny deathcore (comedy-core). The song sucks, plain and simple. With mediocre riffage combined with horrible vocals? You deserve a shrunken head!

"Party", one that is pretty listenable for a bit, then in a second, turns to crap, then turns to a funny bridge (on a 1-minute song), then crap again. I listen to the bridge and nothing else and found the song kinda funny.

"The Beast from the East" is no better than any other Dr. Acula song. The riffing and the spoken vocals are the only good part of this song. Ignore everything else about this song.

"Calling All Creeps": so apparently they want creeps to hate their music. This song is most definitely mediocre. The funny part in the middle is great to some extent, but the horrible vocals is what ruins the whole song (the spoken vocals are alright). The pre-outro is excellent. Why? No vocals, but then they come back during a dissonant section. *FACE PALM

So, let's recap. Dr. Acula is a band that takes samples from stand-up comedians and famous movies, ruins them by putting them inside bad songs, has horrible vocals, dissonant guitars, and think that they're a good band. I don't know about you, but that's not the kind of music I want to listen to. This is the band's second shot at a good impression, and they failed. Again. Chances are they'll give a bad one every time. So, I ask of you, do not listen to this. I heard the Social Event of the Century is good, but this is not. Please do the smart thing. Just read the lyrics, and have a laugh through that.

P.S. To Dr. Acula, in the words of your song "Party", I have just one thing to say to you: "THIS IS HOW WE PARTY SO **** OFF!!" I mean that with all my heart.

Highlights:
Funny ass lyrics
Good overall instruments (minus the mindless dissonance)
Some funny samples
Beer Pong Massacre
That's about it. Pretty sad, eh?

Cons:
The Cuckoo Clock Of Doom
Vocals sound like someone's playing Cannibal Corpse while taking a giant deuce
Inaudible bass
Makes way too much use of dissonance

Christian And The Hedgehog Boys Christian & the Hedgehog Boys COMEBACK!Blood on the Dance Floor All the Rage
Kayo Dot Gamma Knifemaudlin of the Well Part the Second
The Human Abstract Digital VeilVader Sothis
2.3
David Witten (1.5)
By improving their sound, Dr. Acula has become less interesting than they were before....

Brent Stephenson (2)
You know how some movies are just so horrendously stupid they end up being funny? Yeah...I think tha...

Counterfeit

DR. ACULA
[img]http://www.scrubs-italia.com/images/gallery/grubs/s5e23-jd_acula_turk.jpg[/img]

Quen
July 24th 2010

Omg, I love Scrubs so much. The new seasons blow so much ass though.

July 24th 2010

@counterfeit What? I know their name is joke from Scrubs. What are you trying to say?

eternium
July 24th 2010

Wasn't it originally a Mitch Hedberg joke?

Counterfeit

agreed. was soooo bad.

i was just posting dr. acula dude...

FromDaHood
July 24th 2010

I would certainly hope you know that most of the song titles are titles of Goosebumps books, because Goosebumps books are awesome.

pmmets07
July 24th 2010

1st sentence kind of merits this a neg.

i didn't neg though.

July 24th 2010

@FromDaHood I know that already. It was a joke when I said they wanted creeps to listen to the album.

FromDaHood
July 24th 2010

I understand the joke I just didn't know if you read Goosebumps

July 24th 2010

I did, my favorite's Monster Blood (not the song).

sspedding

this is my favourite:

the annoying samples are the only thing good about this song.

What?

HugCrewLoveRoll
July 24th 2010

FUCK YOUR EGO FUCK YOUR SCENE, ALL YOUR SHORTS ARE BROWN AND GREEN!
COME ON, THOUGH GUYS! BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

July 24th 2010

@sspedding It was to make a point that the song sucks and @HugCrewLoveRoll my friend says that Dr. Acula sucks nipples. I say "Hey, that's not true! They suck man titties, ass, dick, and then snowball on your face."

krig9412
July 24th 2010

You picked probably the three worst examples of deathcore. Glass Casket, the Plasmarifle, and The Contortionist blow those bands so far out of the water you couldn't possibly see where they land. Also, review sucks. We get you hate Dr. Acula, but can you explain why? Not just make a bunch of stupid jokes.

July 24th 2010

@krig9412 I picked popular ones, and I said "average to good", didn't I? Also, I made it apparent in the last paragraph why I hated the band, and said that their music sucked.

Bitchfork
July 24th 2010

You never said why. Reviews aren't just based off opinions; you need to use facts to justify those opinion; ie., band has bad vocals, no talent instrumentally; and then you need to describe the music - not just to "describe the music," but to back up your claims and be informative. You do a little of all three, but you're at the bare minimum, focusing your time on OMG BAND SUCKS! STAY AWAY! I'M INFORMAL AND SOUND DUMB! =D

On that note... review is god awful. Learn your mechanics - seriously. I mean, are there enough grammar issues here?

Locrian
July 24th 2010

Review needs more profanity.

@Locrian Funny!

July 24th 2010

To everyone, I can always go back and edit.

Bitchfork
July 24th 2010

Then do that. Take constructive criticism well. Understand when people are trying to help you and fix it after considering their changes and their outcomes.

Or don't and just leave now, because you'll be told to kill yourself, tbqh.