Franz Ferdinand
You Could Have It So Much Better

by Senor_Whippy USER (22 Reviews)
October 2nd, 2005 | 61 replies | 12,032 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

2 years ago no one had heard of Franz Ferdinand.They were just another British guitar band struggling to get out of the underground and into the mainstream.Whlist America turned out bands like The Strokes,The White Stripes and Kings Of Leon.British guitar music was off the radar.But in early January 2004 Franz released one of the finest guitar records in recent years ('Take me out').A mix of Dance,Post-Punk and Indie,it became an instant radio hit around the world and put British music back in the mainstream.That year Franz Ferdinand sold 5 million copies of their sefl-titled debut album,Played 250 shows to over a million people and won nearly every award they were nominated for.So making that 'difficult' second album is going to be easy.......or is it?.

Franz Ferdinand are:
Alex Kapranos-Guitar/Vocals
Nick Mcarthy-Guitar/Vocals/Keyboards
Bob Hardy-Bass
Paul Thomson-Drums/Vocals

Recorded in the Scottish countryside at singer Alex Kapranos' private farmhouse between February and July this year.'You could have it so much better' is the sound of Franz Ferdinand spreading their wings and taking their sound into strange new directions.Whlist their debut was more of a Pop based affair.This time Franz have created a more rockier album that leaves other Indie bands playing catch up.But can it top the debut?.

Even through they've only got two albums under their belts.Franz know how to introduce an record.Last time it was the slow burning masterpiece 'Jacqeline' with it's acoustic strumming and Smiths' style lyrics.This time it's the complete opposite.'The Fallen' opens the album with a distorted Matinee-meets-Zepplin riff before turning into a classy yet shambolic Post punk classic.''So they say your trouble boy,just because you like to destroy,all the things that bring the idoits joy,well who gives a damn about a little destruction'' sings Kapranos urgently the sign of a man ready to push his band forward.The guitars and vocals harmonize perfectly on this track.'The Fallen' is one of the finest song Franz have done and is the first of many 'Rock' moments on the album.

First single 'Do you want to' is the darker and moodier older brother of 'Take me out'.With most of it's lyrics been taken from chat up lines that were yelled in Kapranos' ear at a boozy party in Glasgow one night (''Your famous friend well I blew him before ya oh yeah'') after the band massive homecoming gig.'Do you want to' is a extremely addictive pop record mainly because the line ''Do-do do-do-do-do-do-do'' will get stuck in your head for weeks after you hear it.The guitar riff repeats throughout the whole song like that on 'Take me out' which creates a good effect.The bass and drums work incredibly well together and the big build up at the end is a great finale.

Fourth track 'Walk away' shows a more softer side to Franz which was rarely seen on their debut.An stripped back acoustic track with only Kapranos on Guitar and McCarthy on Piano.It shows how well the pair's musicial talents work together.'You're the reason i'm leaving' is classic Franz at it's best.Sharp riffs,funky bass and pounding drums.It's nice to hear that they haven't fully forgot about that vintage sound they once had.

'Eleanor put your boots on' is the most heartwarming track on the whole album.A mixture of Beatles style pop and psychedelic lyrics (''But if you run you can run to that coldy island rollercoster.Rid across to the highest point and leap across the open water '').The song is a masterpiece,glowing with confidence and hope.It's a great addition to the album and deserve to be released as a single in the near future.

'Well that was easy' is perfect in all departments.With only one verse and a chrous to the whole song.Franz change speed and key several times to make it a classic.It's lyrics are quirky yet cool (''I watched you clean the filth off your phone dial,So i could ring the things your finger picked up'') and instruments all work greatly.

But after this things start going downhill a little as Franz start forgeting what they're aiming for.The band seem to get lost in their quest for perfection..The rest of the album is a more rushed and uninspried affair.A few of the songs seem to lack depth and personality.There is a slight return to their older Arty pop sound on the second half of the album but it's nothing compared to some of their older work.Things do get picked up with final track 'Outsiders',the most expermental track on the whole album.A mix of tinny funk guitars and paranoid dance beats backs up Kapranos' cool and calm vocals creating a Street spirit meets Gang of four racket.It's a great ending end to a even greater album.

Overall, 'You could have it so much better' is great.It succeeds where so many other 'difficult' second albums have failed by recapturing the greatness of it's predacessor.You'll discover new reasons to love it every you press play.Franz have ditched their cold and calculating sound to become a dirty and passionate Rock n' roll band.Franz fans old and new will find this enjoyable and yes......it's better than the debut.Who ever said that change was a bad thing?

Pros:
+Cool new sound
+Better than the debut
+Amazing lyrics

Cons:
-Some tracks lose focus
-Most of the songs are too short

Download:
Do You Want To
The Fallen
Well That Was Easy
You're The Reason I'm Leaving
Eleanor Put Your Boots On

Thanks for Reading!

The Rapture EchoesArctic Monkeys Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?
Yeah Yeah Yeahs Show Your BonesThe Strokes Is This It
Kings of Leon Youth and Young ManhoodThe Prodigy Their Law:The Single 1990-2005
NLY (4)
Some bands weren't supposed to be remembered, but, try as they might, good music remains good music....

Davey Boy STAFF (3.5)
Living up to previous high standards can be a b!tch, but Franz Ferdinand have done a good job with t...

FrddyBrnRgrJhn (5)

Ross Delany (3)

Med57
October 2nd 2005

This is your best review by quite a margin, but I'm just wondering how you have it...it's due out tomorrow and I'm not going to delete it and ask you to repost it since you'd be allowed to do so in 14 hours anyway, but in future could you wait? It just makes everything more consistent.

Anyway, good review. What I've heard from this album has put in 3.5/5 territory, and it's probably not quite as good as their debut which has grown on me quite a bit, but it's a good follow-up.

_unknownST
October 2nd 2005

i guess i shouldnt buy this if i hated do you want to?

2muchket!
October 2nd 2005

from other reviews I've heard the second half lets it down a lil bit but do you want has persuaded me too try this one plus their debut was soo good :thumb: good review anyway

Rudd13
October 2nd 2005

Good review. I just obtained the rest of this album and from what I've heard, it's going to be a fun listen.

Great job, Senor :thumb:

the_misery_chick
October 2nd 2005

Great review, man. And yes, it was going to be called "Franz Ferdinand" but with a different colour scheme to the last one. They then decided on "You Could Have it So Much Better." I think it's a line from one of the songs...
Yeah is the rest of it better than Do You Want To? I kinda like that one but not that much.

Knoxvillelives
October 2nd 2005

Really looking forward to it, love 'Do you Want to'
I heard that he just wrote down everything one girl said to him when he tried to chat her up at a party.
Cool guy young Alex

Knoxvillelives
October 2nd 2005

What is Indie though really?
I would say Franz Ferdinand are the ultimate Indie band, but I don't know why. Radiohead are the best 'alternative' band, because their music is a definite alternative to other things. These pidgeon holes are so often wrongly applied

Laafe
October 2nd 2005

nice review i loved the debut, and im definetly gonna pick this one up.

October 2nd 2005

Thanks everyone for the comments that helped a lot.

Note to Med57,I got this 2 weeks ago as a pre-release from friend who works for a fanzine down in London.I wanted to post it today because I know a lot of people will be questioning to buy or not so I thought I'd put a good word for it i'll re-post it tommorow if you want.This Message Edited On 10.02.05

Med57
October 2nd 2005

Nah, don't bother. It's cool as it is.

What is Indie though really?

Indie shouldn't be a genre by rights, as all it means as music on an independent label. That could mean virtually anything. In practice I normally use the Pixies as my benchmark for indie music. They pretty much define the genre for me, but that's just personal opinion.

October 2nd 2005

Ok then but if you find a album cover with better quality will you please change it cause that's all I could find.

Final Origin
October 2nd 2005

Hey great review Senor! You have persuaded to get this album. You got my vote!

October 2nd 2005

Much worse than the debut and these guys aren't at the front of the pack anymore.

Still, it's a decent album and I will buy it when it comes out here on Tuesday.

October 2nd 2005

This is a little off topic I know but.......holy shit i've moved about 70+ places up the user charts Wow!!!.This Message Edited On 10.02.05

ocelot-05
October 2nd 2005

This is a little off topic I know but.......holy **** i've moved about 70+ places up the user charts Wow!!!.

That's cool, Senor Whippy. I jumped 17 places since yesterday. I'm 52 now, I'm so happy.

that's cool I'm number 6

You continue the way your going you'll be top 15 by xmas

hey cool I'm beating you

I'm listening to this album right now and it's growing on me.

ocelot-05

I'm flattered, SenorWhippy.

Jawaharal
October 2nd 2005

omg i'm 2 w1nn3r iz me!!!!

why exactly did you make a new account?