Enrique Iglesias
Euphoria

2.0
poor

by doug USER (78 Reviews)
July 15th, 2010 | 27 replies | 13,854 views

Review Summary: You would stand by me forever Enrique, but I don't think I can stand you anymore.

Enrique Iglesias, the Spanish heart-throb that has taken ‘your breath away’ many times before with his gorgeous looks, those steamy music videos and of course that voice has decidedly adventured out of the norm and released his first Spanish spoken album – well, half in English and half in Spanish – Euphoria. Enrique explained that this was a great idea seeing as, “The US is now the biggest market for Spanish songs, so this is an experiment.” Enrique has always featured the Spanish language in his music i.e. “Bailamos” yet, having whole songs in Spanish will most likely deter some listeners and turn them away. It can get quite frustrating when stumbling across the Spanish spoken songs-- and this is a sentiment for the Euphoria as a whole. It’s just so gosh darn frustrating.

The first single from the album ‘I Like It’ is a poppy rave, that is more of a dance anthem than anything Spanish. The sound is unmistakably the trademark up tempo Iglesias sound, yet still manages to sneak in a sample of Lionel Ritchie’s ‘All Night Long,’ which must be said, is no mean feat, yet completely destroys the vibe of the song. As Euphoria flows on the tracks float in between the ‘Hero’ era Enrique, the modern up-tempo Spanish sound of ‘Bailamos’ Enrique and the new “I’m a down with the cool kids” rave Enrique. This mixing and matching of songs really doesn’t fit the criteria of the way a pop record should run, especially when half of the tracks can’t be understood – if you can’t speak Spanish. The constant mixing and matching of tempo’s like on “Heartbeat” makes it sound like it’s been through a blender. Changing from slow piano ballad to a hideous sounding dance tune, “Heartbeat” does everything wrong, in a sense that the hook of the song is probably the least catchy part of it and Enrique vocals are completely bland, coming off monotone.

Lyrically things haven’t changed over the years, with the basis of the lyrics focussing on heartbreak or love, which is shown in “Why Not Me”:

“Why oh why tell me why not me
Why oh why we were meant to be
Baby I know I could be all you need
Why oh why oh why

I wanna love you
If you only knew how much i love you
So why not me”

Who would have thought? Enrique can’t get any!

Euphoria is really a mixed bag of a record that tries a little too hard at being something different, tries a little too hard at recapturing the glory of the past and tries a little too hard capturing a new fan base. All this is too hard to garner in one single record. In essence, Enrique’s experimentation for writing an album that is that little bit different is an utter failure, yet the guest spots such as Usher’s on “Dirty Dancer” gives the album some highlights as the mix of rave like dance beats, a decent hook in the chorus and some lovely vocal work from Usher make it worth listening to again. Euphoria is just to samey, just to tiresome and just too boring. Instead of trying to create an album that will ‘wow’ a new audience - that obvious fails in that aspect - Enrique should go right back to focussing on getting Jennifer Love Hewitt back in bed.

Flume and Chet Faker LockjawThe Naked and Famous In Rolling Waves
James Blake OvergrownTaylor Swift Red
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis The HeistChet Faker Thinking in Textures
2.9
good
David James Young (2)
A string of hits trails off into a Latin pop wasteland. Muy mal, en verdad....

Ok, first things first.

- Really quick write up - this is for Enrique/ Bailar11 to spam all he wants.
- Please pick up errors, since there will be heaps.
- Probably my most laziest review in along time.

Ha, this is really a dreadful album.

mutatedfreek
July 15th 2010

Still think Enrique should review it himself.

Dunpeal

lmao

nice work

IAJP
July 15th 2010

i like it is fucking insanely and annoyingly catchy

July 15th 2010

I'm glad Enrique approves. And yes Bloc this is terrible.

July 15th 2010

Enrique has always featured the Spanish language in his music i.e. “Bailamos” yet, having whole songs in the language, it will most likely turn some listeners away as only being able to understand the English speaking Enrique, as it can get quite frustrating when stumbling across the Spanish spoken songs, and this is a sentiment for the Euphoria as a whole.

Sentence is totally fucked up.

July 15th 2010

holy shit, dunno how i missed that.

July 15th 2010

Yeah there are a few more like that strewn about, but that was easily the worst offender.

Prolapse
July 15th 2010

I'm writing a review for this, but it's taking me forever

July 15th 2010

It's always so hard to capture the genius of Enrique.

youresocute
July 17th 2010

an enrique review on sputnik? is this a joke

Prolapse
July 17th 2010

lol

tombits
July 18th 2010

I lol'd heartily at this Dougie, love it.

July 31st 2010

sup

Prince1993
August 29th 2010

I fuckin love this album.
It makes my ear oragsm. Lol

RosaParks
September 6th 2010

album cover is beautiful

couldwinarabbit
March 6th 2011

rulez hard.

Funeralopolis
December 3rd 2012

remember that Bailier guy who had like 500 enrique englaises alts?

RIP