Brandon Boyd
The Wild Trapeze

good

by Dunpeal USER (10 Reviews)
July 14th, 2010 | 23 replies

Review Summary: This is an upbeat record, not overly happy, probably best suited for a drive down an ocean coastline in your dad's overpriced convertible, while getting a BJ. Although, the BJ is not necessarily required.

Let me start off by saying that I am by no means the biggest Incubus fan, but I've generally liked their stuff in the past, so I decided Brandon Boyd's solo effort was at the very least worth a listen. It's no mystery that most music enthusiasts cringe a little inside when they hear that a lead singer is deciding to branch out on his own. Needless to say, the industry is littered with solo efforts gone terribly bad. I am happy to report that The Wild Trapeze is not one of those times.

The Wild Trapeze starts off strong with its title track. This song kicks in with a hefty bass line coupled with your standard acoustic strumming and then transitions into a smooth groove where Boyd's voice is allowed to shine. In actuality it sounds like a barebones version of Incubus and the same could probably be said about the rest of the record, but that's pretty much what we expected here right? This is far from a bad thing.

I guarantee you that at the end of that first track you'll swear the ice cream truck is right outside your door, pretty cool though.

So anyway, the next few tracks are pretty much the same sound (guitar strumming/plucking coupled with subtle drum line), give or take a few nuances, but they are solid and catchy enough to keep you moving along at an enjoyable pace. Revenge of the Spectral Tiger is another smooth and airy song from Boyd. I mention this song here because this is where his lyrics, for me, begin to get a bit more interesting and comprehensible. The album then transitions into Courage and Control, which is a sorrowful ballad of sorts. This is the only song where we find Boyd's vocals take full control of a song and it's quit the welcome change at this point in the record. The rest of the album pretty much reverts back to the same sound found in the first five songs, save for the last song which we hear Boyd stepping out a bit. It's probably no coincidence that he chose the last song to do anything different. It's not a bad decision, nor a bad song. Overall the album boasts good song placement, which guides the listener on a smooth, enjoyable ride.

I can't say this album is great because it's not, but if I could rate it as really good, I certainly would. Boyd's vocals and lyrics are strong enough to carry the album, despite the music itself feeling rather average. However, with Boyd being the lead singer in a band and not the lead guitarist that tends to make perfect sense. The Wild Trapeze was never painful to listen to. It's simply a really good record.

Recommended Tracks

Obsidian Kingdom Torn and BurntKool Keith Magnetic Pimp Force Field
Sahara Surfers Space Trip on a Paper PlaneNacho Picasso For The Glory
Astral Projection Dancing GalaxyRishloo Feathergun
Mike Allen (3)
Brandon Boyd's foray into solo territory is a pleasant listen, but is ultimately lacking....

iTunes is my friend

foreverendeared
July 14th 2010

You should definitely combine a lot of your paragraphs. I'd say leave the first paragraph, and combine all the rest except the last one.

July 14th 2010

fair enough. the line before the second to last paragraph was more of an aside. that's why i'm leaving it alone. other than that i combined the rest

btw it's more than likely that after enough listens this will get a bump to a 3.5 from me

MaskAtTheMasquerade
July 15th 2010

do the drums sound muddy on this album.... or is that just mask being crazy

July 15th 2010

yeah, drums aren't especially sharp in this. dunno if he played every instrument or what. i'm guessing so based on this:

Boyd has described the album's sound as "a guy in room surrounded by toys who has an undying enthusiasm for finding out what each toy does, and has been given full license to make as much noise as he pleases."

either way, I'd say his vocals are the focus of this album

coneren

I should get this....remind me in 6 days...POS'd while I'm at'er

Yazz_Flute
July 15th 2010

That's gotta be the coolest album cover of 2010.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

July 15th 2010

i should've also pointed out that if you're any kind of Incubus fan, you'll probably like this, but i guess that's somewhat obvious. either way, i'm saying it here

Nagrarok
July 15th 2010

Incubus' latest album was pretty poor, I'm not sure whether I will check this out.

July 15th 2010

i agree. i guess i should've said Incubus's overall sound. wasn't trying to attach it to a specific album per se

ConsiderPhlebas
July 15th 2010

pretty much what we expected here

pretty cool though

pretty much the same sound

pretty much reverts back

Yeah.

pretty much

EVedder27
July 15th 2010

Didn't even realize this came out yet. Will listen, and 3 was pretty much what I was expecting.

foreverendeared
July 16th 2010

If you had to compare this to an Incubus album, which one would you pick?

oh and yeah the paragraphs look a lot better. Pos

July 16th 2010

if i had to pick an album, i suppose i'd pick Morning View, but only because Incubus gets a bit mellower there compared to Make Yourself, but that still wouldn't really give you a good sense of what TWT sounds like because Morning View still has a lot of the electric sound

the best and closest sound to this album (and thinking back i probably should have included this in the review) would have to be the song "Drive" from Make Yourself

it's essentially a record full of "Drive-ish" songs. it was good. especially since i thought he was gonna get all experimental or something. it sounds like he just went into the studio and sung some songs that he wanted to get off his chest

PatrickMF
July 18th 2010

@ foreverendeared: I would say lyrically it is similar to 'Make Yourself' and 'A Crow Left Of The Murder' but musically it really doesn't sound like Incubus. Musically it is heavy on acoustic guitars, and percussion. A really cool album, this is really catchy at times too.

coneren
July 18th 2010

it's essentially a record full of "Drive-ish" songs.

Holy fuck, I really have to get this soon then

mysticrecords
July 20th 2010

It actually sounds like days of the new with brandon singing, great album

iamSeraph