Astral Projection
Dancing Galaxy

by Dunpeal USER (10 Reviews)
July 13th, 2010 | 13 replies | 6,280 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If a time traveling DJ left the keys to his spaceship in the ignition and you were wasted off your ass, this is probably what it would sound like.

In the world of psychedelic/goa trance, there are really only two heavy hitters: Infected Mushroom and Astral Projection. There are other great goa artists out there, of course, but they simply are not on the same level as these two groups. Whether it be on the tables or in the studio, the latter group definitely lives up to their name with their ethereal productions. Their ability to mesh that alien-space sound with moody and provocative sound bytes has really evolved into becoming their signature sound.

I am of the mindset that early AP albums are probably among the groups most inspired works. Dancing Galaxy, having been produced in 1996, is a testament to that notion. The album begins with the hauntingly mesmerizing title track, which happens to do a beautiful job of sampling Virginia Madsen's opening monologue in David Lynch's Dune. From there on out this album never lets up.

Throughout the entire album AP demonstrate why they are highly revered among goa fans. They never stray too far from their frantic-paranoia-induced-psycho-lulluby formula. Each track carries the same beat overall, but this isn't drum and bass anyway. As is customary in trance, most tracks carry the same build up and break down sound. Every track has it's own tweak in ambient noise and computer-generated effects, enough to keep the listener curious about what's in store on the next track. If there is a definitive AP album, Dancing Galaxy would be it.

If there is a knock Astral Projection, it is that they seldom leave their comfort zone, and when they do it usually doesn't work out well. One will not find AP leaving their comfort zone in Dancing Galaxy, which is what makes it quite narrow in scope. It doesn't attempt to redefine a genre or offer up a novel twist at every turn. It is an album that is very comfortable in itself and provides enough variety in sound to keep one entertained. That being said, it is probably safe to say that after listening to this album in full, one would probably be ready for a change of scenery so to speak; however, that's probably true of most goa records unless you absolutely live and breathe for this stuff.

You don't need to be an obnoxious glow-stick-flailing raver to enjoy what AP is serving in Dancing Galaxy. Although, if a time traveling DJ left the keys to his spaceship in the ignition and you were wasted off your ass, this is probably what it would sound like. As evidenced by my ratings and such, I am nothing close to a raver and I have thoroughly enjoyed this album. Anyone with a taste for futuristic electronica should have no problem doing the same.

Obsidian Kingdom Torn and BurntKool Keith Magnetic Pimp Force Field
Sahara Surfers Space Trip on a Paper PlaneNacho Picasso For The Glory
Brandon Boyd The Wild TrapezeRishloo Feathergun

July 13th 2010

felt like goa needed some luv up in this bitch

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

AnotherBrick

best song?

alachlahol

[IMG]http://a.imageshack.us/img718/5780/trippingballs.jpg[/IMG]

best song is probably the title track, Dancing Galaxy

if you've seen Dune, you'll like it that much more

btw i always liked this gif better

ShponglesSoundTribe
July 14th 2010

is this better than trust in trance?

July 14th 2010

there's like 3 volumes of trust in trance. the thing about AP is they are so damn consistent and hardly stray from their sound. you're not gonna find anything here that is dramatically different from Trust in Trance. just more AP goodness

in short: yes, but not by much and def. not worse than TiT

Deviant.

Nice review man

Trance has never really been my thing though, especially on cd

Digging: Banks - Goddess

July 14th 2010

thanks man and yeah, trance isn't for everyone. i don't know what it is but ever since i saw Hackers as a kid i've had a soft spot for electronica and that eventually led me to trance. i only dabble in epic trance and psy trance really though.

alachlahol
July 14th 2010

crush my brain with trance

foxblood

psydance

Digging: Rites of Spring - Rites of Spring

foxblood
March 15th 2013

oh man this needs more attention. gonna make a psytrance list now

June 8th 2013

to your previous post: maybe slight hyperbole on my part haha, but i would argue they are among the most prominent. Hallucinogen is pretty well known too, but I'm not sure that he's been as active.

If you like this, I recommend Blue Planet Corp