The Devil Wears Prada
Plagues

by Spec USER (44 Reviews)
July 11th, 2010 | 37 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The album is no classic, but offers a solid list of metal-core songs.

The Devil Wears Prada is a metalcore band from Dayton, Ohio. Every member in the band is a devout Christian and makes that obvious in some of the songs. The bands name derives from a novel with the same title, it was also made into a movie but at that point, it was too late for them to change their name. The meaning behind it is one of anti-materialism.

The first thing the listener hears when they insert Plagues into their cd player (or starts up their torrent) is another time wasting "epic" intro. At one point I loved it but most bands seem intent on starting their album with a throw away interlude or just plain silence. Regardless of my personal interests, it would be unfair to judge against them because of such a little thing. "Goats on a boat" then begins and we are met with the bands main vocalist Mike Hranica. Now anyone who had heard the bands previous stuff would instantly notice a tremendous improvement in Mike's screaming vocals. They sound more natural and less forced, plus the lows and highs both sound equally amazing. The instruments are all on par with the tortured screams spat out by Mike and the drummer does a good job keeping things interesting up until the much expected clean vocals part. Jeremy DePoyster really hits those high notes well and does a very good job making his vocals stand out.
The album itself never lets up as there are no interludes in the whole thing. Maybe a few quieter keyboard parts but thats it. The problems in the album don't lie on any individuals shoulders, just the band as a whole. It seems every song follows almost the exact same formula and even though they are executed well, it really doesn't offer the listener anything new from the endless list of modern metalcore bands. I would still recommend the album to those looking into this genre of music. Though not much different, few other bands can have this particular sound yet keep each song sounding different. The screaming on this album is nothing short of superb.

"Dont dink and drance" is a stand out song for me as it offers many time changes and top-notch instrumentals. "The scorpion deathlock" also features a crushing breakdown that takes every stereotype from the genre and somehow make it fun. "Plagues" also features guest vocals from ex-Chiodos vocalist, Craig Owens.

Whether you like it or not, "Plagues" will at least catch your attention. Its no classic in itself but offers a solid list of metal-core songs that are catchy, heavy and fun.