Chevelle
This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)

by fromtheinside USER (128 Reviews)
July 10th, 2010 | 266 replies | 19,286 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

There is one album within my collection I can throw on and will always accompany my current mood. An album that no matter the place, date, or time is perfect for the situation. It’s the album that escorted me in a better world of music introducing me to some of my favorite bands including (but not limited to) dredg, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and to a lesser extent any album I’ve rated a classic. Chevelle’s third release This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In) is a classic in my eyes because it brought with it an endless list of things I still love to this day. I remember the first time I downloaded this album and pressed play on Rhapsody Music Player. The Clincher crawled in with a crooked bass line, and a guitar riff tuned so low I wondered if it was truly possible to play it while standing up. So I did the only logical thing and picked up a guitar and taught myself how to play the instrument, the rest is essentially history. Now despite how overly cheesy and cliché I’ve been within this first paragraph it in no way reflects the album. In fact, though categorized with other mindless mainstream affairs Chevelle are rather more inaccessible than that of their peers.

With This Type of Thinking, which will from now on be referred to as TToT, Chevelle take their moody and crunch-tastic melody previously heard on Wonder What’s Next and mature it. This is most evident within the first three tracks; Pete delivers a raunchy guitar riff that makes way for violent screams of “Now saturate!” on The Clincher. Joe, the now forgotten brother, performs a wicked bass groove which carries the off and on stagnant voyage of Get Some. It isn’t until Vitamin R (Leading Us Along) that these separate ingredients culminate the perfect recipe; with a healthy dose of the thundering double bass added to haunting swoons leading epic build ups and calculated explosions in both the chorus and bridge.

Chevelle time and time again create these pseudo epic cruises that often have them compared with the likes of Tool. While these comparisons have their merit in some regards I believe the band do enough to distinguish themselves. This falls directly on the shoulders of front man Pete Loeffler who harnesses one of the most unique voices in rock radio. Balancing a slivered line of melody and aggression Pete often evokes a scream that uproots several stable instances on the disc. Emotional Drought for example, provides a five minute endeavor that contains the heaviest moments in their discography; rumbling through riffs in trenches lower than those spoke of earlier in The Clincher, the yells of “One more man tearing at the throat of one more man…” is something not heard anywhere on a FM dial today.

Two reasons I continually replay this album are the estranged atmosphere it creates, and how each time I listen through I find little nuances that make me fall in love with it again. Breach Birth has a claustrophobic effect with dwindling guitar leads and Pete’s hushed delivery. On the flip side, Bend the Bracket feels as open as the setting it was performed in. Dealing with a solemn surrounding and intimacy revered long before For Emma; Forever Ago was thought about.

A truly timeless album in my eyes Chevelle have been the gateway to several things I still cherish. This is most obvious to me each and every time I discover a new band and can’t help but compare. I find myself saying things like, “this is good but it’s no The Red or Vitamin R”. One of these days though, one of these days…

Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
Vales Wilt And RiseNero Di Marte Nero Di Marte

hate me.
hmmm this looked longer on Word.

Digging: Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds

Dunpeal
July 10th 2010

interesting. of all the bands being compared to Tool, i would never think of Chevelle to be one of them.

dunno if Chevelle is capable of a 5 type album, nonetheless your review compels me to at least give it a listen

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

July 10th 2010

really? the two are always getting compared i feel like, mostly in delivery.

Dunpeal
July 10th 2010

well, to be honest, i haven't heard from Chevelle since "send the pain below," so maybe i missed all the Tool comparisons, but based off that song i wouldn't have thought they'd make the transition to a Tool-like sound

July 10th 2010

LP busting out the 5 for THIS? I always knew you were a crazy one haha.

The Clincher, Vitamin R, and Still Running all rule.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

July 10th 2010

i know. revoke all musical credibility.

July 10th 2010

If any of their albums are worthy of a 5, it would be point #1 or WWN ... great review though

July 10th 2010

yeah i did a 5 review for WWN too. my two favorites essentially.

renegadestrings
July 10th 2010

i've always overlooked this album because it's been universally agreed to be their "lesser" album... but ok, fine. i'll give it a spin

July 10th 2010

I think that VS was actually really disappointing.. I almost never listen to it... Antisaint rules though

Hyperion1001
July 10th 2010

Is it just me, or is the wording on the summary really bad?

Digging: Octex - Idei Lahesna

July 10th 2010

yeah that riff is good. and i love vena sera. saferwaters straight jacket fashion and i get it a bombdotcom tracks.

July 10th 2010

oh it should say mostly, but that's what pete says.

Point #1 = WWN > SFC = TTOTCDUI > VS

i think for me its, WWN = TToT > VS = SFC = Point #1
i don't like ranking the albums.

July 10th 2010

VS > SFC and Point #1??????????????????????????????????????

Dude you crazier than me

July 10th 2010

lol that isn't what i said.

ebay
July 10th 2010

how did chevelle introduce you to dredg and DEP?

July 10th 2010

i think it was shortly after i bought this album i saw links to what other listeners had bought, and i was like hey, this is cool.

My bad, misread.