Chimp Spanner
At the Dream's Edge

by Aaron USER (8 Reviews)
July 8th, 2010 | 26 replies | 16,476 views

Review Summary: Blue-collar primate aural mindfuck.

If Eddie Van Halen's wasn't suffering from a constant state of cerebral hypoxia as a result of disgustingly tight pants, he'd be admittedly warranted in feeling confused to hear his own fusionease licks amplified in a modern tech-metal context in this new millennia. Furthermore, I'm sure Eddie would be even more surprised to see it mixed with a lush undercurrent of film influenced ambient passages. Well lucky the 80s are over, and Eddie isn't here to ruin the vibe, because Paul Oritz' Chimp Spanner sure as hell has set a vibe to be soaked up.

Instrumental and technical in nature, Chimp Spanner's sound both follows current metallic trends, set by the obvious darlings of this site, while combining with fusion, ambient and a heavy-rock into an amalgamation of ambitiously unpredictable music. Most surprisingly however, Chimp Spanner is one man, and all these influences come from his solo self. More surprisingly, it doesn't sound like shit.

Clocking in a 61 minutes and change, it's a journey of an album, and can realistically only be listened to in one sitting because it's lacking vocals (see how I avoided the word epic there). Instead of fatiguing of the constantly changing dynamics, as with comparable albums, At The Dream's Edge ebbs with an undertone of tension that alters in intensity, colour and texture, dependent on your place within the album. Often this happens rather quickly; Track 5 - Bad Code is the standout in this.

The album's thirteen tracks are all self-contained units which work wonderfully on their own; grabbing you, tossing you round like a shirt on the clothes line in a storm, taking you whereever Paul wants you to go; but they're still cohesive and ordered well. Obvious example being the three-parts of Terminus destroying you at every shift of dynamics.

The highest compliment that I, as a review and listener, can give Paul is this; I am jealous of his composure abilities. This is hugely ambitious music, that is executed with surgical precision and has soul baby.

Totally Unicorn Horse HuggerTrent Reznor and Atticus Ross The Social Network
The Contortionist ExoplanetRussell W Blue Moons And Happy Accidents
Kate Bush The Kick InsidePink And Yellow The Pink and Yellow Tapes

Eclectic

Good review, pos.

Just fix up the end of paragraph 3, it rambles a bit.

This sounds really interesting, definitely worth a look

asdemonsburn
July 8th 2010

In a fair world, this would get just as much exposure as Animals as Leaders and Periphery

Aaron
July 8th 2010

Word. This shit is amazing.

Jim

good one

sexpoi
July 8th 2010

nice i've been lookin for something like this for a while

SpottedTrout
July 8th 2010

I finally found a dl for this.

Terria
July 18th 2010

This is the sound of the future.
Nevermind having as much exposure as AAL or Periphery, they both look up to this guy!
That's how insanely talented he is.

Bringing this to a live show would be incredible.

July 18th 2010

THANK you for reviewing this; it badly needed one but I didn't really feel like tackling this.

Great stuff, not quite as polished as Periphery (though more so than AAL), simply because it came before it. Both of those bands owe Paul, his guitar style, and his production techniques in particular a huge debt; you can hear it all over their releases.

Anyway, more people need to hear this. Love love love how he brings in the synth/pads and such.

July 18th 2010

This isn't that great tbh

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

July 19th 2010

Eeeh.. I can see how you'd feel that way, since you have its two more-polished cousins at a 4.5 (yes, iStalk haha). Did you hear them first? Because I can see how this would feel like a letdown if so...

July 19th 2010

Haha, glad to see you're doing your homework!

I listened to a couple tracks a long while back but just found them so boring. Then with this review it reminded me to check out the rest of the album because I had taken a fancy to its "cousins" but yeah, still nothing doing.

July 19th 2010

Yea, it's less accessible than either of the other two for sure. Idk, I still like it a lot, not as much as either of those two, but probably just because I heard it before I heard either of them.

Also Aaron, forgot to say, best opening sentence ever haha. Nice summary as well.

sexpoi
July 20th 2010

i agree with bloc. I can appreciate the musical aspect of it and the synths but i think AAL is a lot more accessible. Speaking of which, the new AAL song "Wave of Babies" is tits

Aaron
July 20th 2010

Being the jazz-fusion guy I am I guess I can appreciate it's softer moments a lot more. It's not really metal, but progressive music that's got metallic parts.

pillowswantyoursoul
August 5th 2010

This album is... perfect.

TheEnigmaticForm
September 19th 2010

Album of the year?...Probably.

crowing51
October 22nd 2010

Wow this is amazing, I can definitely see were AAL and Periphery would get their sound from. Though Periphery production is waaay different.

Oceans
October 29th 2010

Amazing

MikeC26
January 28th 2012

This is REALLY damn good.

March 25th 2012