Architect
Ghost of the Salt Water Machine

by jitteryzeitgeist USER (30 Reviews)
July 7th, 2010 | 14 replies | 5,069 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the best pure metalcore albums to come out in the last 10 years. My pockets itch.

In order to properly convey the massive amounts of aggression and cathartic rage that is the output of Ghost of the Salt Water Machine, your mild-mannered reviewer has decided to take some "substances" that will properly allow me to "review" this "album".

Architect, a band whose primary goals in music is deafness and bruises. If they were a country, their primary export would be "f*ck you". This is some serious metalcore (As in Converge, not Killswitch Engage). If I could remember how to use Wikipedia, I'd let you know where they're from... let's just go with Florida. Florida sounds good. I really wish my keyboard would stop moving.

While some other stalwarts of the genre oh god there's spiders under my skin oh god oh god....

Maybe this wasn't such a hot idea.

Anyway, while some other stalwarts of the genre have tended to incorporate melody (Cave In, Converge, Coalesce), Architect looks at melody with the kind of contempt that's usually reserved for historical genocides or Fox News. Throughout the nine tracks the consistent theme is brutality. Terrifying, terrifying brutality that never lets up. It never stops. Even when you scream at it, plead with it, try to reason with it... it just doesn't stop. It will not stop. Not until it has seen you and everyone you love burned to the ground and pissed on your ashes.

And, in that way, it's not much different than Dick Cheney.

I'm certain I loved this album before trying to review it. I know I picked it for a reason. All I know right now is that my curtains have somehow changed material, and I'm positive my floor is made of pudding.

Each of the riffs has its own catchy quality, progressing songs in a way that makes perfect sense and everything fits together neatly. Despite where songs go, the thematic consistency on the disc is hugely universal, but for some reason I seem to have just heard a poorly sung version of "America the Beautiful"... man, I must be really out of it right now, ha ha! Let me just skip back really quick and see what was actually...

Oh. That's actually in there. What the f*ck, Architect?

Overall, I have to highly recommend Ghost of the Saltwater Machine if for nothing else, then for its display that dynamics don't have to be bold-faced to be effective, and subtle changes can sometimes be as effective as dramatic shifts if put in the hands of songwriters who understand sonics. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to throw up and get a ride to the hospital...

Shinedown AmaryllisTrap Them Darker Handcraft
Foo Fighters Wasting LightUnexpect Fables of the Sleepless Empire
The Gracious Few The Gracious FewStone Sour Audio Secrecy

accompliceofmydeath
July 7th 2010

I'm not sure what the fuck you're on but, it seems like you need help. Review is kinda cool, though. Anyway, I saw these guys open for Coalesce and Disembodied before and they put on a pretty chaotic show. I'll have to look into these guys again.

Digging: Crowbar - Crowbar

xxKillWithASmile
July 7th 2010

I enjoyed this review about as much as the album. Pos'd.

July 7th 2010

It there a Christianality theme? Is it fictional? Yes? but is there no religion in the music, it is Okay, it is funny, do you need some coffee from a Christian coffee shop?

cvlts

mind=fucked.

all is not lost is better.

Digging: As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep

jitteryzeitgeist
July 7th 2010

I haven't had the pleasure of that album yet. I may go ahead and put that on the list of got-to-haves.

cvlts

do it. ;]

DestroyHim
July 19th 2010

quite generic at times. the lyrics get a bit cringeworthy too. I'm not really into this might move the rating down to 2.5.

Digging: Volumes - Via

SatansLittleHelper
August 26th 2010

Random but when i hear this dude vocals i think of corey, but this dude vocals own.

slipnslide
April 17th 2013

bump 4 nostalgia

slipnslide
April 17th 2013

haha yeah that always irritated the fuck out of me. Not to mention they share the exact same genre

Spec

December 3rd 2013

this is alright i guess

TheMoreira
February 19th 2014

It seems like this user is no longer active on the site. Be it as it may, entertaining as fuck review lol

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There