We Are The Emergency
Whispers and Fragments

by rob g USER (4 Reviews)
July 6th, 2010 | 97 replies | 14,251 views

Review Summary: We Are The Emergency come out swinging with their debut release.

What can be said about post-hardcore that hasn't been said before? There are many bands that cling to the genre that are made up of immature young adults that know nothing about the craft of music; This makes for many Sputnik album ratings of 2.5 or lower. Despite Bitchfork's unfair 2.5, rest assured that this band is most definitely something special in the genre; Mixing alternative roots with some hardcore and progressive aspects in a well executed manner from start to finish.

The album wastes no time getting into the thick of the bands sound with the first track. Just one minute in, you can tell you're in for a treat for the next 47 minutes of your life; Catchy opening guitar riff, refreshing vocals, creative drumming, poetic lyrics, and audible bass(No Way!) As a whole, this band is able to create several memorable moments in every song. While the first track isn't an absolute standout track, it sets you up for track two which is simply amazing in every sense. The guitars instantly get you hooked into the song. Once the vocals come in, there's no going back. This formula is not exactly consistent throughout the album however. Unlike many bands in the genre, We Are The Emergency choose to vary the structure of their songs. Now I know what you're thinking: "Who cares if there's variety in structure? Can they pull off the different structures while still having a complete sound?"

The answer to this comes with the fifth track on the album, "Footsteps." This track, quite different than the others, manages to be unique and one of the strongest on the record. This track vividly showcases the immaculate vocal ability of the band members as well as the unparalleled key work. Sophie Rodgers creates an atmosphere in this song that leaves the listener more than satisfied. Everything that works for the first 2 and half minutes of the song builds up more and more until finally a vocal climax is reached that backs down into a beautiful harmonized vocal duet between the lead vocalist and the key player. "Footsteps" could get stuck in your head for days and days and you would not care one bit. The whole album could achieve this easily. The vocal, as well as guitar melodies are fantastic on every track, so be warned.

While the singing is the high point of this album, on some tracks there is a tiny bit of screaming. The screams are fantastic. They are used sparingly on the record and when they are used, they fit perfectly with the section of the song that they are placed; Most notably in the song "Between The Places We Belong." The screams work as the perfect accent to the tone of the song created by its inspiring lyrics. Every track on this album has redeemable qualities of some sort. Props must be given to this Australia-based band for not following the generic ideals for post-hardcore set by mediocre bands of the genre like Attack Attack! They have truly created a piece of work that stands out; And as almost any truly magnificent album within a given genre, the band is completely unknown in the U.S. They deserve not only your attention, but the attention of any fan of music in general.

Standout Tracks
-Footsteps
-It's Floating Wicker Propelled By Fire
-Ink Well Paper Stains
-My Conscience Is the Only One Who Gets Me

Pretty much the whole album.

Alexander Mee (3.5)
Minus a few flaws, We Are the Emergency looks to be the real deal with this release....

July 6th 2010

I have some things I need to edit, but I wrote this rather quickly. So please have mercy and give constructive criticism

TheyTookOurJobs
July 6th 2010

Amazing band from Aus. Good dudes as well.

July 6th 2010

I honestly can't believe I bumped it up to a 5 but the minor flaws just didn't seem relevant to anything so I had to 5 it.

July 6th 2010

Well time to sleep for awhile. Hope to awaken to some tips from the Sputnik reviewing elite.

FUCK
YOU.

(No Way!).

Error.
TBH that's all i read besides the first paragraph. =]

tombits

band is pretty bad

Looka
July 6th 2010

Will have to maybe get this.

pmmets07
July 6th 2010

theyre like an australian sksk. i dig it.

July 6th 2010

I thought people were supposed to give feedback before negging...?

July 6th 2010

And I'll check out letlive. I'll probably bring the rating down for this and add on to the review a bit. I wrote this when I was tired. Plus I also had the volume all the way up so when I was listening to it I was like "HOLY SHIT EPIC?" so I 5'd it

aresx
July 6th 2010

HEY completely off topic, but how do i put a picture under my username? i've been trying to figure it out for ages
i've never heard of this band, but i checked them out on iTunes and the samples i heard did not impress me at all

July 6th 2010

Click on "Message Boards," sign in on that site, click "User CP(lol)" and look for "Edit Avatar" on that page

cvlts

go to your profile.
under your profile pic, click edit info
go to settings
click edit avatar
find something original.

July 6th 2010

Yeah and it has to be a meme.

July 6th 2010

lol the young veins should got ake a vacation. Did you read the rrr review for that album?

July 6th 2010

What are you talking about you left brained fool

July 6th 2010

i'm right-brained. completely and entirely so.

That's a good thing

cheekycrust
July 7th 2010

Great review man, i had never heard of these guys so i checked them out and im really digging them always good to find great Aussie bands.