Yakuza
Of Seismic Consequence

by ThyCrossAwaits USER (46 Reviews)
June 30th, 2010 | 24 replies | 9,240 views

Review Summary: As artistic as they may be, Yakuza don't deliver the promised masterpiece.

Based on the research I did on Yakuza, they are an “art metal” band that can be compared to sludge-men Mastodon and Torche. Their latest offering, Of Seismic Consequence, has been compared to Mastodon’s Crack the Skye on the level of proggy heaviness. Thus far I am inclined to agree. However, I have also read that Of Seismic Consequence is a crushingly heavy and beautiful masterpiece, with 9/10 and 9.5/10 critic ratings. Here I must, unfortunately, disagree slightly.

The opening track on Consequence, “The Ant People”, is a very tribal instrumental track, based heavily on drums and eerie chanting buried beneath a deep bass drone. At this point the album shows a lot of promise, giving a Planet of the Apes vibe.

Following “The Ant People”, tracks like “Thinning the Herd” and “Good Riddance (The Knuckle Walkers)” are excellent slabs of sludgy jungle riffage. Indeed there are points where the rumbling shredding is borderline “crushing”, like an avalanche. However, these tracks also introduce the band’s crippling weakness: frontman Bruce Lamont’s clean vocals. His broken Geddy Lee-ish drawling is distractingly off-tune, and very rarely does he incorporate his skillful post-metal roar, which is by far a better vocal delivery technique. When Lamont actually SINGS, the result is spacey art-prog. When his bellows and the riffs meet, the result is excellent avant-garde sludge.

That is not to say the drunken rambling is without its place. Consequence makes good use of cavernous atmosphere (enhanced with saxophone). During these softer, more ritualistic movements in “Be That As It May” the moans are quite effective. They also are of surprisingly good use in “Farewell To the Flesh”, where the trembling effect added to them is a smart touch.

Despite the particularly annoying thorn of Lamont’s singing, Of Seismic Consequence is an absorbing “art metal” album with plenty of burbling riffs and hypnotic atmospheric passages. I highly enjoyed “The Ant People”, the droning “Farewell To the Flesh”, and the raging pummeler “Good Riddance (The Knuckle Walkers)”. But…I just can’t quite agree with the praises of this album. However artistic Consequence may be, it isn’t all that groundbreaking (sounds a lot like Mastodon tripping balls…), and it still falls a bit short the masterpiece I was promised.

Swans The SeerDarkosis Darkosis
Dragged Into Sunlight WidowMakerThe Killers Battle Born
Om Advaitic SongsGrinning Death's Head Golden Dawn

nvm

June 30th 2010

ya...but its extremely scarce.

June 30th 2010

I was wondering how good/bad this album turned out to be. Nice review, will look into it.

nvm

Buccaneer
June 30th 2010

I've been interested in checking out this band, what would be the best place to start? Transmutations?

June 30th 2010

definitely hit up Transmutations first, yeah. Then go for this.

June 30th 2010

I have this on my PC, will listen soon.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

kingsoby1
June 30th 2010

if this is anything like crack the skye it is preobably bad.

its not

19227 Comments

Summary and review rule. I couldn't agree more.

if this is anything like crack the skye it is preobably bad.

Yakuza actually write music as opposed to wank.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

scissorlocked

good review man

I used to listen to Samsara and it was ok.The saxophone parts are really interesting,and used well.

However I can never understand the term art metal.

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

July 1st 2010

@Wiz: yes, you can agree more. Ultimately a 3.5 is what it deserves.

art metal.

it's a stupid term because it ultimately means metal that's conception is rather artsy (which therefore makes it a subjective term as well); that suggests a correlation with artsy, intelligence, and good. As well, it suggests that "art genres" are the only ones of artistic worth.

19227 Comments

'Art' to me stands for hippy douche bags who think that taking a shit on a canvas and slapping some stupid meaning on it qualifies as something deep and thought provoking. Let's discuss...

FadeToBlack
July 2nd 2010

ive heard the term 'artcore' thrown around before, sounds pretty stupid really :/

That's fucking retarded hahahaha

July 2nd 2010

adding "core" to anything other than hard makes it stupid.

happy?

stabbler
July 15th 2010

a problem with this review is that it's benchmarked against expectations, not necessarily actual
output.

granted 3.5 is a reasonable rating, but it appears to have been given begrudgingly. this band has
not
(in the past) received the accolades it deserves and reviews such as this won't help a great deal

have only given it a couple of listens so too early to give it a rating; it doesn't come across as
cutting edge as Transmutations, though is probably more even. Either way, it's gonna land somewhere
that's probably in the top 10-20% versus what else is out there

**THREE MONTHS LATER*** - this record is ready for review, and...IT'S AWESOME!

YUJOS
January 31st 2011

Yakuza unfortunatelly trying to be like Mastodon with saxophone....It seems that they will never top Samsara..

Digging: Misery Index - The Killing Gods