Audible Mainframe
Framework

by Sam Feldman's Rating USER (66 Reviews)
June 27th, 2010 | 14 replies | 5,185 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

There's nothing like a good groove. The feeling it exhumes on the human body is entrancing and soothing as the groove washes over your inner rhythm. Grooves can make you dance, sway, and overall chill out after a long, hard day in the grind. There's not much that beats a night time blunt to the dome with some grooving bass as welcomed company. One of the great aspects of Audible Mainframe's debut Framework is its excellent use of groove and relaxed jazzy melodies to give one of the most calming effects a modern hip-hop album can resonate.

While most of todays hip-hop can be attributed to one or more ungodly dance clubs being overrun by idiots, Framework passes by the bull*** like a speeding missile. Much like their contemporaries The Roots, Audible uses a live band to instill hip-hop music the way it should sound: f*****g chill. Everything about Framework from its sexy guitar melodies to stereo thumping beats calls for reposition. Lyrically, you won't find anything groundbreaking here; social problems, political injustices and street life cloak Framework like many hip-hop albums today. The flow is rather sufficient, however; MC Exposition tells his tale of life in the new millenium with endowment and force, supporting the backing music like a hurricane to a wind chime. It is clear from the onset Framework is an album made from the heart, not from the wallet.

"Das Kapital" starts things off refreshingly enough with the sound of waves giving away to a classic beat and spacey funk that immediately showcases the aesthetic of Framework. Every so often Framework will sprinkle in a change of pace that only a 7 piece band can perform that can at times give off a progressive feel yet doesn't take away from the core strengths of the album. "Figure It Out" mixes Audible's groovy punches with trumpets and keyboards to create something that has been done before yet comes off entirely fresh and original.

The albums true highlight is "Digital Cafe". Using a haunting piano and various effects, Exposition kills it with lines like you haven't gone far from your original planet/your body has grown but your mind hasn't expanded. The entire song follows suit simulating a futuristic ghetto and is quite possibly one of the better hip-hop songs of the last decade.

Framework is enjoyable, groovy, funky, unpredictable, and thoroughly relaxing. Using the foundation of artists before their time, Audible Mainframe have created a modern hip-hop album for the masses that relies on soul and feeling rather than what is going to sell records. For this fact alone I highly praise Framework. It doesn't hurt that the music is fabulous either.

Women Public StrainHip Hatchet Coward's Luck
The Roots undunTwo Door Cinema Club Tourist History
Real Estate DaysJenny Hval Viscera

ShadowRemains

20535 Comments

nice review, pos'd

Digging: Banks - Goddess

June 27th 2010

Sold it; I'm going to pick this up as soon as I can. Great review man, I'll check out that recommended song later tonight.

Also- There's not much that beats a night time blunt to the dome with some grooving bass as welcomed company.

Yesssssssss.

Dryden
June 27th 2010

nice review i watched you type it

Tupik
June 28th 2010

Great review, checked out Digital Cafe, and it sounds great indeed.

I'll check the album out and give my impressions.

Digging: Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]

July 16th 2010

sweet review man, this shit's tiiiiight

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

July 16th 2010

hell yeah man the beats are ridiculous

the rapping on most of the record is good but there's a couple tracks that i wasn't digging (the lyrics that is), mostly at the end of the record. that's probably the only thing keeping this from a 4.5

such a great driving record

yeah man shit's ill

you gotta get on some Aesop Rock, El-P and old Sage Francis

yea man if you like B. Dolan you gotta love Aesop. his best three are

Labor Days
None Shall Pass
Appleseed

in my opinion at least.

July 16th 2010

ooh that's tough. Labor Days is definitely top 5, maybe even #1. The Original 11:11 Sessions by Mac Lethal, God Loves Ugly by Atmosphere, 36 Chambers by Wu-Tang, ATLiens by OutKast and Audition by P.O.S. are all close too.

tough call

July 16th 2010

oh man yeah Never Better's great but it's probably my least favorite by P.O.S.

July 16th 2010

well you could always check out Grayskull, I've only heard Deadlivers by them but it's pretty good (rapper from DTS' old group)

Vessel's pretty unique though, don't really know what else is like that. I'd say start with

El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Sage Francis - Personal Journals
Grayskull - Deadlivers

and of course Audition by P.O.S.

July 16th 2010

oh shit, I know. if you don't have Plastique by Sole and the Skyrider Band, get that. That's pretty similar to Vessel.

July 16th 2010

ah nice, well then yeah get those others mang i'm pretty sure you'll dig em

July 16th 2010

lol not today so much but usually yeah it's windy here. it gets worse the closer you get to the lake