We Were Skeletons
We Were Skeletons

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
June 25th, 2010 | 51 replies

Review Summary: We Were Skeletons are still skeletons... skeletons of screamo royalty.

"They’re not quite there yet," is the feeling I keep getting as We Were Skeletons’ latest impresses me more than I expected. I’m quickly reminded of a time centuries ago when artist prodigies would copy the artwork of established painters, copying their pieces, their styles, until the young ‘uns are more refined and have sufficient skill to match their creativity. We Were Skeletons are still in that mimicking stage, it seems. There’s a multitude of positive attributes I could pin down on the self-titled record with ease- a dynamic aesthetic, brilliant transitioning, a few outstanding songs (namely: “Kids”). Skilled and exciting, definitely, but a little too derivative to claim much for themselves, Despite themselves, We Were Skeletons still manage to cement their self-titled as one of the year’s first quality screamo albums.

Full disclosure: my expectations for this were low. Mediocre at best, the Summers EP was yet another reason to not care about my local music scene, which is well-known virtually only for Christian metalcore-ers August Burns Red (And how high could my expectations really be for said scene when I live in a county where it’d be uncommon to see more cars than horse ‘n buggies on my afternoon run?). Nevertheless, I was elated by a few signs that We Were Skeletons would break this spell. First, they were signed to Topshelf Records, home to heavyweights like Defeater, Pianos Become the Teeth and My Heart To Joy- reason enough to get a little excited. Adding some snazzy new artwork, along with the fact that 2010 has been seriously lacking in screamo, and the cards were all in place for We Were Skeletons to make a big impression.

Instead, the album elicits some mixed feelings. As they mimic the best of the genre, the band is incredibly derivative of Off Minor, Hot Cross and Kidcrash. It’s tough to pin this as simply a negative aspect to the record, though, as We Were Skeletons show some dexterity in maneuvering around these bands' particular styles without coming across as excruciatingly trite- an accomplishment in itself. Moving to a nice studio with Will Killingsworth (Orchid, Ampere) has done wonders; every transition, every striking note the screams hit, translates beautifully. Aggressive and unrelenting, if there’s one distinctive to We Were Skeletons’ sound, as derivative as it may be at times, it’s the youthful energy. Ranging from 18-20 years old, the band isn’t shy about hiding its’ exuberant take on the genre. Providing the messy, hardcore aesthetic with some authenticity can never go wrong, in my book.

This, the youthful ebullience and sincerity in which their self-titled is approached, is what saves We Were Skeletons. What could have come off as imitative and hackneyed is instead hopeful, and there truly is a few unique moments on the record that give ample proof that Skeletons aren’t simply following footsteps, but have it in them to carve their own path... eventually. Right now, the aggressive, unrelenting, and surprisingly technically proficient We Were Skeletons is more than enough to impress this new fan. Simply put, if you often find yourself dismayed with monotony in screamo, you may want to stay away from We Were Skeletons; but at the same time, keep the name fresh in your mind. If Skeletons decide to add a little more of their own style to the mix of things on the next try, I can all but guarantee spectacular results. On the other hand, if your Heat Death of the Universe is really starting to show some wear and tear from all those plays you’ve put it through, then look no further than We Were Skeletons to provide some fresh and needed tunes to scream along to while driving a little too fast on these hot summer nights.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

in b4 every1 else

20304 Comments

had some trouble writing this... check it out though guys, you'd like it.

I really don't make it sound as good as it is, and I can't figure out why, but oh well... listen to it.

GODDAMMIT BULLDOG I LOVE HAVING THE FIRST COMMENT ITS ALWAYS MY FAVORITTTTTTE!

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

third.

good review but i have some things you might wanna check.

They’re not quite there yet-

It just seems it'd be more right to put this in ' ' and the dash seems weird.

refined have sufficient skill to match their creativity

should be an "and" in there I'm thinking.

lolwut

I was elated by a few signs that We Were Skeletons would break this spell. First, they’re signed to Topshelf Records, home to heavyweights like Defeater, Pianos Become the Teeth and My Heart To Joy- reason enough to get a little excited. Add some snazzy new artwork, along with the fact that 2010 is seriously lacking in screamo, and the cards are all in place for We Were Skeletons to make a big impression.

i think the "are"s should be replaced with "Were"s. you might wanna check this, but it reads better i think, as well as you used past tense in the lead up to their signs.

The band is incredibly derivative of Off Minor, Hot Cross and Kidcrash, as they mimic the best of the genre

Might wanna switch the first and second parts for a bit better read, not necessary though, just a suggestion.

these bands particular

should be these "bands' particular"

stray

it seems as if this should be "Stay" not "stray" as if someone were to stray, that would imply theyd already be a fan or something, and that would conflict with the hating part.

June 25th 2010

that all being said, great review as usual (you're one of the only staff members i follow on a consistent basis) and pos'd

Dryden

sup bongdong

looool

sup dryden.

u never responded to my shoutbox post = (

20304 Comments

thankyouthankyouthankyou Bulldog, that helped a ton! review still feels a tad half-baked (I took out like 2 paragraphs) but it feels better now.

June 25th 2010

no problem Sea. i owed you one anyhow.

porch

Cool review as usual

"mixed-feelings"

I don't think you need that dash in there

Negged. JK.

20304 Comments

thanks Poops, and I think I was a little dash-happy with this review but oh well, fix'd...

ps I'll check out that Burning Airlines thing soon, it's next on my list

June 25th 2010

Terrible review. Too edgy.

20304 Comments

needs more bufftucking, am I right Hans?

love you babe ; )

Cheers

SlightlyEpic

20304 Comments

thanks guys : ) Slightly you've heard this, right?

hearts,

Eric

EVedder27

skelteriffic review Eric

June 25th 2010

Eric, Im going to copy you copying Drew.

Hearts,

Andrew

SlightlyEpic

I have, I like it and agree 100% with what you said

ConsiderPhlebas
June 25th 2010

...when I live in a county where it’d be uncommon to see more cars than horse ‘n buggies on my afternoon run

Your syntax seems unusually awkward in this review, man - compared to your usual work. Wouldn't this be better as 'when I live in a county where I'd be far more likely to spot horse 'n buggies rather than cars' or even 'a county where horse 'n buggies are the preferred mode of transport'.