Zurich
When Seasons Change

by Mathieu Dupont USER (1 Reviews)
June 25th, 2010 | 20 replies

Review Summary: When Seasons Change blends Post-Rock, Hardcore, Progressive Rock, Jazz, and Ambient influences all together into one pleasant yet slightly flawed package made by 3 high school students.

In today's world anyone can make an album. As long as you have instruments and a computer with some sort of means of recording, almost anything can be possible. Many musicians have gained a sense of internet fame for making their own "Bedroom Recordings" most notably Misha Mansoor AKA The Bulb, but there are thousands if not more musicians doing the same thing at virtually any age group spanning many genres of music. In this case, 16 year old Jerrad Williams, a native of my own country, Denmark, took the ethic of artists like Bulb and made an LP with 16 year olds Blair Cooley and Darren Pettrey.

The album is a collection of 6 songs that spans many genres. Although the most prevalent genres are Hardcore and Metal, there is also a prominent Post-Rock influence as well as many other styles being displayed. When Seasons Change is mostly an instrumental output with the exception of a couple of lines in the self titled track which are in Danish. On of the flaws to most of these songs they sound like they were written with the intent of vocals being added but were scrapped at the last minute. This so evident in the opening song. Many of the songs feature a Cello Bow which builds a thick and almost uncertain atmosphere which definitely adds to many of the songs which is best displayed in the breakdown at the end of "End Of Line" where the Bowed Guitar resembles a nuclear siren going off. It also brings in a mystical quality to many moments as in the intro to the title track.

When Seasons Change also dabbles in experimentation. It never restricts itself to one genre. There are moments that are very apocalyptic in nature as there are enough moments of beauty to even the score. Jerrad shows massive potential as a lead guitarist with the 8 Finger Tapped riffs in the song "Underground Flight" which are in the same vein as Scale The Summit and Cynic. There are also Meshuggah esque riffs to be found as well. Although the guitar is the main focus in many songs there are songs that are based completely around ambiance such as "Reykjavik".

The best songs that are featured here are without a doubt "End Of Line", "When Seasons Change" and "Circles". End Of Line starts with a sample of a famous scene in Pulp Fiction as guitars and bowed bass guitar build in intensity and when the gun is heard the song explodes into a symphonic metal breakdown. Cello Bows and Strings are very prominent as well as Piano. This song features some of the most fluid songwriting this record has to offer. When Seasons Change is a more melodic piece which kicks off almost like a Dredg song. A very delayed part with Bowed Guitar is played as a very beautiful guitar solo is introduced. The song stays within a major key throughout the entire song and eventually goes into a part with a choir. The closer "Circles" is by far the most intense song on the record. It is a truly amazing Post-Metal song. It builds off of repetition and starts very calm and quiet but keeps building until its climax. Truly amazing song.

This may have some obvious flaws mainly concerning production and the programmed drums but this is an overall excellent listening experience. This is one CD that will appeal to many audiences. I am very interested to see how this band evolves in the future.

Pros:

-Excellent Songwriting
-Explores many different genres
-Outstanding Musicianship
-Very Original Sound

Cons:

-Production isn’t very good
-Programmed Drums
-Songs can seem unstructured in some parts

(This is my first review at this site. Any criticism is welcome and needed)

Album Stream:
www.myspace.com/zurichband2007

Any criticism is welcome
This album is on their myspace in its entirety.
www.myspace.com/zurichband2007

June 25th 2010

Yeah, it actually is. Beefshoes here is Jerrad the lead guitarist.

June 25th 2010

The 4th paragraph kinda sums up which songs I feel best represent the bands overall sound. I think the opening song is actually the weakest song. Its the heaviest but the weakest. Was my review good?

June 25th 2010

Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

no more feedback?

PurpleDrank
June 26th 2010

cool, might check this out. with a pulp fiction sample this can't go wrong right?

June 26th 2010

who negged and what was wrong with my review?

August 2nd 2010

I happen to be Jerrad Williams and I am not Danish. lol

Digging: Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

Deceptioneer
August 2nd 2010

they deleted the album by my band, but no, everyone else can stay

August 12th 2010

wow i cant believe i found this on here lol go jerrad

Good album.
(Coming from Shea, who goes to school with Jerrad, Blair, and Darren)
I like the fact that there are ambient parts that even out the instrumenatlization.
There are alot of grammatical errors though, I'd read through again.

xxdrkndheartxx
August 18th 2010

The album would be loads better if they actually had a drummer, and even though I haven't confirmed this; rumor has it some guitar parts were sped up on the album after being recorded much slower. "(I also go to school with Jerrad, Blair, Dj, and Shea)

Well Chase, the key word is rumor ;]
We could if we wanted to I guess but there is no need too.
None of these songs are that complex nor that fast as far as far as guitar and bass go. And what does "Not Having A Drummer" have to do with anything? There are some amazing albums made without an actual "drummer" (Via: Drum Software or Session Musicians) We are working on better samples at the moment but we just don't have the money to go out and buy drum mics and mixers or to get studio time.

But thanks for the criticism and the response everyone.

walkingbeans
August 19th 2010

The album is quite good even with the production issues. If the production was better and the album had a few more songs, it would get a 4 from myself. I love mix of sounds from Metalcore moments to post-rock moments. Circles reminds me of something Mogwai would do.

August 20th 2010

Thanks man. We have a couple of new songs up on the Myspace called "Nephthys" and "Lost At Sea." Nephthys is more along the lines of Scale The Summit and Protest with a lot of keyboards and Lost At Sea is BTBAM ish with a Post-Metal section. www.myspace.com/zurichband2007

August 22nd 2010

none of the parts sound like theyr sped up and i could go either way with the drummer thing. catch 33 was done with drums from hell so i dont see the problem really

October 29th 2010

I only agree with Chase on the drum thing because it doesn't sound as natural, and the fact that it's a drum machine is overly noticable.
Other than that, I have no problem with this, but I definitley like the newer stuff better.

October 29th 2010

P.S.
I negged, but solely because there were so many errors.

November 7th 2010

Like you are one to judge? your reviews are pretty bad.
66% rating with 6 reviews is not that good at all.

November 8th 2010

i like this more than the newer stuff. Clean parts on this are badass