Rush
Moving Pictures

by DesolationRow USER (80 Reviews)
September 27th, 2005 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1981 | Tracklist

Rush- Moving Pictures

Rush’s music is hard to pinpoint and classify into one genre. Between the three living legends that make up this band, a whole world of genres is brought into one band. Geddy Lee, famous for his high anxiety shrieking voice, and fast, melodic bass playing is placed in front of Alex Lifeson’s sci-fi, yet progressive guitar technique and Neil Peart’s out-of-this-world, flash drumming. Undoubtedly, all three are great musicians by themselves, but what they do together has arguably changed the face of progressive rock music. Moving Pictures is widely known as their most famous album, and like the others, provides excellent facets in every melodic and rhythmic department, and in very unique ways.

With a mere seven songs, this album might not appear to be lengthy, but the durations of the songs can make up for it’s lack of tracks. A perfect example would be the opening song, ‘Tom Sawyer’. With the pseudo- techno keyboard tracking, and powerhouse drumming, a strong foundation is built upon a track that clocks in at just over seven minutes. This is not at all a bad thing, by any means. The song does not get boring at all, and the melodies will prove their fair share of ‘hum factor’. It may take some time to get used to Geddy Lee’s shriek, but it will without a doubt, sink in and become familiar to you. It can get rather nasal at some points in ‘Tom Sawyer’ however, particularly in the lyrical phrases of “What you say about his company is what you say about society." and so forth. But mark my words, you’ll get used to it. It’s no surprise, to the casual Rush listener that the first four tracks on this album will prove to be more entertaining and recognizable than the other three. ‘Limelight’ for instance, is Neil Peart’s story of living in the media’s eye. It can prove to be quite challenging, judging from the lyrics and overall vibe that the song presents to you. It sounds darker than the other tracks. Musically, it is genius, with an instantly memorable guitar riff and a rolling bassline that build upon yet another fantastic drum beat. The lyrics are personal to every member of the band, but seem too personal for something that Geddy would write. In other words, it’s no news that Neil wrote it. “Living in the limelight the universal dream for those who wish to see". The pressure of escaping the media and cameras proved to be too much for the Rush drummer to handle and not to sound like a jerk, but thank god for that, because this song came out of that.

Without a doubt, the climax of the album, and perhaps the apex of all of Rush’s music, is the instrumental ‘YYZ’. Apparently, the Toronto- airport based security code is spelled out on chimes in morse code in the beginning. Just a little homage paid to the trio’s hometown in Canada. The other message or meaning is unclear to me, however. But rhyme or reason is not the case for this song, because after a first listen, one might think of this as being the most predominant instrumentals in rock music. Particularly the rhythm section, shines here. Geddy’s infamous jack-hammered riffing lies solidly underneath Alex’s sci-fi style of guitar playing. This might be considered to close-minded, purist snobs as ‘wanking’ for it’s ‘solo every other second’ mentality, but the performance is undoubtedly smooth and interesting. Geddy and Neil trade solo fills frequently, and a series of multi-faceted riffs make a groove for Lifeson’s neo-classical, yet Latin-induced guitar solo. I’ve never come across a Rush fan who’s said that they did not like ‘YYZ’. As opposed to the more laid back grooves that seem to control the other songs, ‘YYZ’ is just a sonic seizure at a rocket-propelled pace. There is a dichotomy. And that is what makes “Moving Pictures" so loved. If there is one complaint that I have with this album, it is ‘Witches Hunt’. Not to say that it is a bad song, (By all means, it stands fairly strong on it’s own.) but it just does not appeal to my tastes, and doesn’t fill my expectations for a Rush song. There is not much else to say about the song, and other than that, there are no other problems I have with the album. In fact, ‘Red Barchetta’ is a fine song, frequently appearing on the many ‘Greatest Hits’ compilation CD’s for Rush and ‘Vital Signs’ is in fact a reggae- influenced ‘prog.’ tune.

At first listen, this album (and band for that matter) might not be appealing to all listeners, but the brilliance of this album shall not be denied, no matter the criticisms that have been stacked against their style of playing music. So to all you who do not enjoy Rush, I ask you to truly open your ears and minds, and listen to “Moving Pictures" in its entirety. I’m sure you’ll reconsider. :thumb:

Line up of Rush
_________________

Geddy Lee- Bass, Vocals, Keyboards
Alex Lifeson- Guitars
Neil Peart- Percussion

Hope you like my review!

John Frusciante Inside of EmptinessThe Grateful Dead American Beauty
Holy Modal Rounders Indian War WhoopBedouin Soundclash Sounding A Mosaic
Del tha Funkee Homosapien Both Sides of the BrainLeo Kottke/Mike Gordon Sixty Six Steps
4.4

Jawaharal
September 28th 2005

yay entwistle again!!! Good review as usual.

Ace_of_Bass2112

great review

my favorite Rush album

Rudd13
September 28th 2005

Great review, as usual Ent.

....I got nuthin'. :thumb:

Artemician
September 28th 2005

Good review, though it wouldn't hurt to talk about some of the other songs more in-depth.

Anyway, Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta are my favorites here.

woofwoofwoof
September 28th 2005

pretty much a greatest hits cd

Priestmetal

I love Rush...

Great review. Someone enlighten me though. How does Geddy do the synth and the bass stuff at the same time and what not?

DesolationRow

he doesn't.....

Studio tracks are overdubbed, and live he just does the parts seperately, but maybe with a backing track.

:thumb:

Ace_of_Bass2112
September 28th 2005

no backing track it just depends on what is the more prominet instrument in that part of the song. like in Tom Sawyer when the synth is louder he goes to that then switches to the bass

Priestmetal
February 12th 2006

That must be kinda messed up live. If you hear a part without bass or a part where there is no synth where there usually is. O well.

This album is great but IMO it is not quite a 5/5. The camera Eye and Witch Hunt are remarkably inferior to the other five tracks that are truely brilliant in many different respects.

tom79
February 12th 2006

Classic, one of my favourites

every song is great

Digging: Business Models - Room

Metman
March 6th 2006

Geddy uses taurus footpedals live. They are footpedals that play synthesizer notes

NOTINTHEFACE
March 6th 2006

^ yeah he's right Geddy has an array of footpetals to play synth-stuff for him, like the opening blast of Tom Sawyer. But when the sythns are supposed to be really loud and prominent, like in Subdivisions and Witch Hunt, he actually plays the synths and they make up for lack of bass.

lol Witch Hunt has always been my favorite here. And I love the Camera Eye. but yeah, Limelight is what got me into Rush. Great review for this, my favorite so far.

Pechorin
October 10th 2006

I cannot give this a 5/5. While I think the first five tracks are amazing, the last two never did anything for me. I still give it a 4.5/5, though.

MrKite
January 8th 2007

The only tracks I like on this are Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta and, YYZ.

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

You don't like Vital Signs? Red Barchetta is ok. I enjoy Vital Signs alot more.

MrKite
January 8th 2007

It's not the worst but it definitly doesn't stand up to the first three tracks.

Zebra
April 3rd 2007

The first three tracks really make this album shine. Unfortunately the rest of the album pails in comparison and the last two songs do absolutely nothing for me.

Altmer
April 3rd 2007

This is a pretty cool album. I like most of it although Camera Eye is boring.

Witch Hunt is a great track by the way, but I like Limelight the most, followed by Red Barchetta.

wakeupdead
April 3rd 2007

This is a pretty cool album. I like most of it although Camera Eye is boring.

Yeah i agree 100%. But this album isn't as good as their earlier wrk like 2112 and A Farewell To Kings