Fugazi
Instrument Soundtrack

by porch USER (7 Reviews)
June 24th, 2010 | 28 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

After a decade of polemical, boundary pushing post-hardcore, Jem Cohen’s 1999 documentary Instrument provided a timely insight into a band that had by then achieved legendary status. For many people, the name Fugazi is synonymous with a fiercely anti-corporate stance, $5 shows, DIY attitude and stern rebukes of concert violence. However, lest we forget, Fugazi were also one of the most important punk bands of the 1990s, producing a string of consistently great albums that deserve to be acknowledged as classics, from the hook-filled, aggressive Repeater through to the more experimental, fan alienating efforts of Red Medicine and End Hits. Instrument is soundtracked primarily by embryonic versions of the songs that comprised those albums, and even stripped down to its core, the bands songwriting prowess and penchant for interesting guitar interplay is still evident.

Fans of the mellower side of Fugazi should find plenty to appreciate on this record, with the eighteen songs predominately instrumental and shorn of the shouted vocals that dominate most of their albums. Instead, the focus is on sparse, bass driven tracks (think “Sweet and Low” from In On The Killtaker) with a couple of excursions into the noisier facet of their sound on songs like “Guilford Fall”. The album’s main draw for the die-hard Fugazi fan however is its insight into the bands creative process. Among the highlights in this regard is the early, slow-burning version of Slo Crostic”, which boasts by far the most addictive bassline on the album, and the demo for the eerie, evocative “Pink Frosty”. The standout is Mackaye’s “I’m So Tired”, a beautifully sparse piano ballad that drips with resignation and regret, and evidence of the bands increasing willingness to adopt more melodic elements into their music, a precursor to 2001’s The Argument.

As should be expected from an album consisting of demos and outtakes, Instrument Soundtrack is not without its flaws, and a couple of the songs stray into overly self-indulgent territory. For hardcore fans of the band and their mid to late 90’s era in particular, it should nevertheless count as a must-listen and provides further proof that Fugazi were always a cut above most of their more one-dimensional peers.

Meat Puppets Meat Puppets IIFlipper Gone Fishin'
Stick Men With Ray Guns Some People Deserve to SufferCliff Martinez Drive
Void Sessions 1981-83Wipers Youth of America
3.3

June 24th 2010

yea not expecting many people to be interested in this but I felt like reviewing something

Enotron

Really well written review

pos'd

thanks man

Spare
June 24th 2010

want to get this. didn't bother until now but yeah i should get this.

Digging: Best Witches - Wishes

alachlahol
June 24th 2010

nicely written son, perfect length and covers what i'd need to know

Ire
June 24th 2010

AGH Another CTTS Review!?!?111!

Good review. Short and sweet. *Insert Cock joke*

ConsiderPhlebas
June 24th 2010

Never even heard of this before. Sounds interesting.

Cool review, man. Brief and to the point.

edit: didn't see the 'short and sweet' above.

accompliceofmydeath
June 24th 2010

I need more Fugazi in my life.

Digging: Cruel Hand - The Negatives

June 24th 2010

you do accomp although if you're kind of new to them i wouldn't recommend this as a starting point
obviously. get some kill taker in yer life

June 24th 2010

wow, you should write more often Porch, very well-written. It also doesn't hurt that we're on the same page as far as opinion on this album goes either.

I'm So Tired is fucking epic.

accompliceofmydeath
June 24th 2010

I've got both Repeater and 13 songs. I'll probably end up getting this at some point. The Arguement or something like that is supposed to be the shit, is it not?

June 24th 2010

I like End Hits best personally, after that it's Repeater and Red Medicine and then the other three main ones are about equal for me.

end hits rules

Romulus
June 24th 2010

Really good review. So from 13 Songs, The Argument and Repeater should I go End Hits? (also review Angel Dust)

June 24th 2010

if those are the three albums you already have (I think that's what you're saying) then yeah I'd go with End Hits next. I mean, "just get everything you don't have and listen to it" would probably be the best advice...

and yea porch, review Angel Dust.

BigHans
June 24th 2010

Nice review Porch. Haven't heard this,.

i agree

timbo8
June 24th 2010

Yea End Hits is awesome. I definitely need more Fugazi. I saw this movie a few weeks ago at the Dischord Records 30th anniversary celebration, very cool stuff.

Slum
June 24th 2010

Really excellent review, have heard of Fugazi but never gave them a try.

give em a shot