Steve Hillage
Rainbow Dome Musick

by Raja Ram USER (4 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2010 | 19 replies | 5,000 views

Release Date: 1979 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ambient Zen Musick

I place the headphones on top of my head and lay down on the wooden deck. Relaxing my eyes, the cotton plagued sky above me becomes filled with a haze. I'm made aware of the trickling water passing through the headset. Synthesizers ring, bringing forth the next addition to this obscure environment. There is a sensation of free flight, sheer weightlessness as I accept the new direction. I'm being lifted, rising directly upward into the night. I question if this is admissible, yet I know there's little I can do to alter my destination. Sequencers climb up and down, stretching past my face. It's apparent that the laws of gravity are no longer plausible in a place such as this. Guitar tapping can be heard in the distance but the sources of the strings remain unperceived. While auras of different colors fall to the surface, the noise begins to fade and my vision returns to the remote sky.

The resonance of a bell marks the induction of something immense. I can feel the energy circulating and I wait for what lies ahead. Strings of ambiance calm my thoughts and I am reminded of my existence. The tuning of the synthesizers is raised, and almost immediately I am conscious to the changes happening before my eyes. The loop repeats, yet visually it is pulsating and it emits intensity. Once more the sequencers come in waves. My body is radiating with euphoric inhabitants, and worries are any place but here. The synthesizers dance across the horizon, mere scatterings of energy. Alas they fade, and my passage arrives at close. I come in contact with the timbered surface and once more I am well acquainted with earth.

Note: In 1979 Steve Hillage released a highly influential album for the psychedelic and ambient genre. Modern day, his impact has been felt and he stands as one of the forefathers of ambient electronica. Rather than characterizing all of the instruments and effects used in his music, I decided to portray the experience and emotions felt while listening to "Rainbow Dome Musick" as a whole. Don't forget to listen for the glissando guitars in track one, they're beautiful.

aresx
June 23rd 2010

i love this album, good review

Psilocyanide
June 23rd 2010

Too much about how it made you feel and not quite enough about what the music was.

Psilocyanide
June 23rd 2010

It's not a bad review, just the way people perceive music is very different and I don't really know what the music sounds like.

June 23rd 2010

sup Chambers, buddy. Good review.
I like Gong, so I might like this.

cvlts
June 27th 2010

concept review? takes some balls, son.

pos

20363 Comments

Can't get into this. His earlier solo albums are better IMO. Fish Rising, L and Green are great.

April 7th 2012

I probably need some Hillage into my life.

20363 Comments

Yeah Jethro get the albums I just mentioned. I personally prefer his early solo albums to a lot of the stuff he did with Gong.

April 7th 2012

That info of yours is much appreciated my friend!

TrueBlood
August 2nd 2013

m/

August 3rd 2013

20363 Comments

This has grown on me a lot. Really good spacey ambient.

TheMystical
October 14th 2013

Awesome review. Beautiful album.

I agree with the reviewer, reviews are someone's own opinion. If someone wants an objective view of music, they should hear it themselves.

20363 Comments

Fish Rising needs a review hard, such an awesome album.

This is pretty good but not on the same level (although it's hard to compare as they're different genres).

October 23rd 2013

fuck forgot to check that album

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

20363 Comments

Fish Rising is up there with Gong's best stuff imo. Not quite as crazy as Gong though.

October 23rd 2013

yea i think sonic played some of it in plug like last year it sounded sweet

20363 Comments

The record sleeve is retarded, he calls himself Steve Hillfish and it says that some guy plays a Moog Bubblefish and someone else plays the Saxofish.

October 23rd 2013

lol those canterbury dudes were fuckin crazy

menawati
January 29th 2014

first steve hillage album i heard, i blame this for making me neglect the really good stuff like fish rising for so long

Digging: Nemrud - Journey of the Shaman