The Glitch Mob
Drink the Sea

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (54 Reviews)
June 21st, 2010 | 57 replies | 25,810 views

Review Summary: The Glitch Mob drop the glitch and release a versatile debut album

The Glitch Mob is a collaboration of three Dj’s (edit, Ooah and Boreta) that play the genre of dance music known as glitch hop. Glitch hop is characterized by the use of sound effects made to resemble a computer or machine encountering some sort of technical problem (aka glitching). This might be hard to imagine for some so here is an example [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwcdc5zUuGM&feature=related[/url]. The Glitch Mob never used the glitch aesthetic quite that often but rather only in parts to help transitions or add variety. On Drink The Sea however, the glitch sound is gone and the band seems to have opted for a more heavy house sound with some trancy influences.

The band had previously released the single Drive It Like You Stole It, a true showcasing of how electronic dance music has the potential to sound huge and even anthemic when done right. The full length expands on this even further. The whole album is an exercise in layering and knowing just how much to put and when. Drive It Like You Stole It showcases this perfectly in its final chorus where the band re-uses the main synth line that has made its presence quite a few times in the song but, through subtle additions in the background, manage to blow it up to sound ten times bigger and gives the song its anthemic ending.

When listening to the album, the first thing that came to mind was Justice’s Planisphere. The overdriven synth sound is somewhat reminiscent of what Justice used on said EP but The Glitch Mob make their sound much more subdued and melodic thus giving Drink The Sea a completely different overall sound. The overdriven synth sound seems to waver ever so gently and when coupled with the ever so slightly muffled sounding bass drum, can become quite entrancing. The band then layers the sound further with cleverly placed leads. The wonderful part of the album is it can be entrancing if that is what the listener is in the mood for but there is also enough variation to be listened to while completely conscious. The album goes through different phases starting off heavily with the loud, pounding Animal Vox and slowly drifting into a more trancy kind of sound which reaches its peak on the airy Between Two Points (Swan’s vocals seem to float beautifully around your mind throughout that song and are a big tool in making it such a standout and trance-inducing song).

As soon as this song ends we encounter the main problem with the album. We Swarm is dreadfully out of place. After the ethereal Between Two Points, We Swarm feels like being slapped awake out of a beautiful dream. The song in itself is not bad in any real way but it kills the steady flow the album had had up until that point and making a lot harder than it should be to get through. Luckily it is followed by the album’s single. Drive It Like You Stole It starts off sounding slightly out of place too but is barely noticeable after what happened with We Swarm and, being one of the album’s best cuts, it makes up for it and more. With its deep, enveloping bass lines; catchy, well placed synth leads and anthemic finale, the song makes itself instantly stand out from the rest and is currently my most played track of the summer. The album ends with two strong songs that don’t really bring much new to the table and seem too good to be called filler but while not being good enough to stand with the earlier standouts on the album. The album could have ended with Drive It Like You Stole It and still have had a decent 47 minute play time.

Drink The Sea is still a very enjoyable debut album that only suffers from some inconsistencies during its second half. None of its songs are bad in any way, but the second half just doesn’t seem to stand up to the first (the single being the obvious exception). I would still highly recommend checking out the album simply due to its great versatility as a mild trancy piece that is great to listen to alone in the evening, as a piece of mid-paced electronic dance music or just to listen to the same way you would with any rock/metal/hip-hop/etc album.

Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void
Matta PrototypeDeadmau5 Random Album Title
Will Robinson STAFF (3.5)
The shortest distance between two points....

Love Death Immortality
recommended by reviewer
Justice Planisphere

June 21st 2010

Big step out of my comfort zone. Been wanting to try reviewing some different genres for a while now

kingsoby1

good stuff here

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

Yazz_Flute
June 21st 2010

gives the song the its anthemic ending.

Review read a bit colloquially in some places - the flow was disrupted slightly by elongated sentences.

But i'll drop you a pos, it was a solid review and this sounds pretty dope. Nice job.

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

June 21st 2010

Can i get your thoughts on the review? Like i said in my comment this was a big step out of my usual review zone (metal) and id be interested in getting some feedback

Yazz_Flute
June 21st 2010

Well like I said, it was pretty solid. I don't like how you jammed that link right at the beginning, maybe add it towards the end.

You gave me a decent idea of what the music sounds like. However, you also seemed to ramble a little bit at times, not knowing exactly what to say. Like I said, it's colloquial, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Seemed more like you were talking to a friend about what the album sounds like than writing a review. But that gives the review more voice at the same time, it's all about the delivery, and for the most part you piqued my interest so you were pretty successful in that.

June 21st 2010

I was actually typing that to kingsoby while you were posting yours but thanks for expanding in what you said. Id say the rambling is caused by the fact that im still somewhat new to the electronic genre and that this is my first review inside that genre and maybe my third outside of metal.

Also i dont think the link would work all that well elsewhere since it has to d owith what i was explaining in that specific spot of the review.

Keep the criticism coming, im off to work and will look into all of it when i get back

Mclovin
June 21st 2010

Pretty good review dude, pos'd. I don't think the Youtube link is necessary, though, but maybe it's just me.

theacademy
June 21st 2010

loove this album never thought to rate it here tho

couch
June 21st 2010

great review, this album is really goddamn boring to me though.

Satellite

19811 Comments

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/tylerb1085/triforce-screenshot-zelda-ocaraina-.jpg[/IMG]

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

Deviant.
June 21st 2010

Does the album sound exactly like the track that Jeremy posted on the staff blog:
or are they doing something different? Because god damn, that song was boring

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

Mordecai.

triforce > anything tangible

June 22nd 2010

Deviant: THey do try a few different things but that is one of my personal favorites on the album, i dont find it boring at all

Ire

ihateyouscream

i dun care

juss lissen

jingledeath
June 22nd 2010

very nice, will listen soon.

Zettel
June 22nd 2010

I have been listening to this consistently. Very good stuff.

SpacePanda
June 24th 2010

Saw them in SC. I Don't believe in any god, but I came out a spiritual man.

June 24th 2010

Id love to find a good quality vid of these guys live. So far all ive gotten is shitty fa nrecordings. I doubt theyll be coming around here anytime soon

SpacePanda
July 5th 2010

yeah every live video ive seen is basically shit, the crowds retarded and the video quality is marginally above cell phone. But their live experience is 100 times better than their recordings.