Eminem
Recovery

2.0
poor

by Adri/Reverse Perpendiculars USER (20 Reviews)
June 18th, 2010 | 79 replies

Review Summary: Eminem throws the bullshit aside and tackles Recovery with mind and matter together for the first time since The Marshall Mathers LP, but his guest artists are not enough to save him.

Time and again, Eminem has retained a startling amount of massive publicity from the sheer emotion and vulgar rhymes in his rapping. Controversy, questionable subject matter and intense lyrical content made listeners hold a respectable stance for the Missouri rapper. However ridiculed and attacked through each stage of his career, Mr. Mathers usually found a crisp way to push the most taboo of topics into music as if it were the status quo. Transsexuals, suicidal tendencies, murder and the ferocity towards the paparazzi gave sweats of his musical endeavor and thoroughly impressed his music with his view of the world. While his idea of musicianship worked better than anyone could have expected, people could feel the raw emotion behind his comical rhyming. And with that, everything that collected and had drawn people to listen to Eminem over the years has inevitably come together at once. While it is far from the most groundbreaking album, Eminem’s Recovery is a huge step in the right direction that deserves attention.

Even though fans literally promised a Relapse 2, confusion and emotions run rampant through the album just the same and Eminem seems to want to hit every base, and all his previous statements and lyrical substance amass from all across his discography. The intention behind the record matches the realism with it, and alongside songs of Going Through Changes, Recovery tries too hard to be emotional and anthematic when it isn't being overwrought with rap-acoustic rock hybrids, something the lead single Not Afraid has proven by wrecking every Billboard chart it could possibly appear on.

Some fans had a hard time accepting the strange aura of Relapse, but over time it was evident that something was missing, and we all feared Eminem would truly, lose it. This is where you need not fear, Recovery is where Eminem has picked up the pieces to create himself yet again. Every song is enjoyable to a degree however small it may be to long time listeners, the cringe-worthy tracks have been over-polished to appear completely nonabrasive, and the filler is no longer too atrocious to damage the album by not even trying at all in any direction. Even the skits have been scraped from the production to bluff the appearance of the album as having a direct approach. Still, it’s tremendously difficult to even think of such a hardline rapper as Eminem *wanting* to work with artists such as Pink, Rihanna or Lil’ Wayne, but in all honesty, the songs create a surprising tight fit for pop radio and lots of money for everyone's pocket without the itchy awkwardness of Relapse.

Recovery maintains a consistent quality in contrast to Encore, and songs like Almost Famous will prove to last alongside his strongest tracks, fumbling through head dawning aggression and Eminem in pissed off mode, re-activated after 10 years of drug suppression and lyrical focus that makes it even easier to criticize Relapse and mourn Encore. The beats don't seem as forced as his last few efforts and this can leave his much too accessible and easy to become overwrought with, and the chorus of On Fire may seem iffy at first listen, but Eminem’s rapping quality allows it to not come off as a full disappointment in the same way as Encore. There are questionable matters on the album, as Eminem dares to include rather… strange essences to his songs. Directly, the songs 25 to Life and Love the Way You Live are a bit of a shock for those expecting the typical Eminem styled ballad, encasing with acoustic guitars that at least show he is trying to incorporate new ideas, rave club beats and the latter including a chorus by pop singer Rihanna. For the first time in years you can crank up an Eminem record and not be ridiculed as a cracker.

Ghost Culture Ghost CultureCrystal Castles Crystal Castles II

Parallels

Thanks adam

Counterfeit
June 18th 2010

Oh hey another one. purddyy good

Jethro42
June 18th 2010

YO maing! good review, pos'd.
I'm not familiar with that genre, but I enjoy 'Bitch Please II', 'Lose Yourself' and 'Stan', which are the only ones I've heard by them.

June 18th 2010

Is there a stream of this? Site policy is that only staff can review albums before they're released. If there's no stream, this'll be deleted, so save it and post it the 22nd, cuz it's good

SlyJak
June 18th 2010

I agree with almost everything in this review. I dont really like the final line though, it cheapens the level of insight throughout.

Mclovin
June 18th 2010

I agree with SlyJak, it kinda does detract from the rest of the review. I really like the summary too - just sayin'. Good review.

June 18th 2010

oh alright i didn't know that, cool stuff

listening to this now.

Digging: Taking Back Sunday - Tidal Wave

June 18th 2010

okay the review's mostly good, but come on, Almost Famous is NOT the heaviest Em track I mean fucking KIM

PuddlesPuddles

Was thinking "Kim" also as I read that line

HenchmanOfSanta

1994 Comments

Eminem was born in Missouri, but he is definitely a Detroit rapper.

June 18th 2010

album is stunningly mediocre. it's more like a 2 but im giving it a 2.5 for upside/potential to grow. i can't believe all the acclaim this is recieving.

Great review, pos'd.

This sounds pretty good so far, a terrible shame about the abhorrent hooks on some of the tracks though.

BTW Downer, this came out yesterday in Australia

omgraptors

i though sputnik music was all about metuhl ??

Yeah, but occassionally we like to pretend we're all up in the hood.

Deviant.

Lol, no

ShadowRemains

Lol, no [2]

Maniac!
June 18th 2010

"i though sputnik music was all about metuhl ??"

Nope we got Indie Bullshitters and Gangsters too

PleasantVessel
June 18th 2010

"You wanna get graphic we can go the scenic route

You couldn't make a belemic puke on a piece of fuckin corn and peanut poop."

Great review Westley, this album continues slay me daily.

June 18th 2010

Get off my antidisestablishmentarianism you prick!