Whispered
Thousand Swords

by Kenneth E. Rathburn USER (46 Reviews)
June 16th, 2010 | 14 replies | 7,778 views

Review Summary: Who says you have to be (completely) original to kick ass?

Melodic death metal bands are part of a much cluttered field. It’s one that you’ll find many people saying the next rising group is a completely derivative clone of several others. Pretentiousness aside, many of these bands are relatively unremarkable and seldom bring even faintly interesting style cues to the table. Yet the next group in line doesn’t have to be completely innovative-they can sound familiar yet bring well-crafted music and warrant varying degrees of praise. This is where Whispered steps up.

Formed in 2004 under the name Zealot, Whispered have had to wait some time before getting material out to the public. And it wasn’t until recently this year that they released their debut LP, Thousand Swords. Similar to Amon Amarth, Whispered’s subject matter is on the more whimsical side, except they tackle samurai themes as opposed to the established Viking subjects. To compliment this stylistic decision, the band have brought and incorporated Japanese instruments and various sounds to give their music more illusionary merit than most other groups. With Thousand Swords, they give us a full-blown idea of what their ambitions sound like, and it’s some great, fun music.

The best way to describe Whispered’s sound would be to take Children of Bodom, bump up the heaviness, match or exceed their energy in small doses and add some The Last Samurai-esque effects for good measure. “Blindfold,” which the band released a music video for, gives a good idea of what the album sounds like without spoiling the stronger points. Altogether, the album comprises of usually lengthy songs, about half of which alternate a few times between fast and slow to moderate pacing. Take, for instance, “Dead Cold Inside,” the album’s second longest track, which starts slow but allows the usual charisma and near-intensity of the band’s core sound to come up during a few points. Other than this and the album closer “Blade in the Snow,” (clocking in at over fifteen minutes) Thousand Swords is a relatively fast-paced ride without going overboard. Conversely, there’s also the title track, which starts off with what I like to call “eargasmic intensity” and only lets up preceding the guitar/keyboard solos.

Those wondering if the Japanese influences found here are enough to help the band stand out from the crowd need only know that they give the album an edge; nothing more, nothing less. “Intro-Hajimari” instrumentally initiates the album and, when imagined with a sound akin to Kalmah, nicely prepares the listener. The aforementioned epic “Blade in the Snow” also brings much of the corresponding atmosphere one can expect from such a track, which is also occasionally found throughout the rest of the album. These touches definitely help to sell the themes and, while not the least bit revolutionary, are elaborated in a way that it feels fresh enough in a time when music doesn’t seem to have much innovation.

As I’ve already mentioned, the band exhibit reasonably ecstatic playing styles, with vocalist/guitarist Jouni Valjakka leading the front. Instrumentally, each member is in top form and do well to lend their talents by giving the album plenty of ooze. Though like many metal vocalists, Valjakka doesn’t exactly stand out from the crowd, providing the usual growls and screams one can expect. He’s not horrible, but were it not for the rest of the band playing alongside him (listen after the title track’s intro and you’ll see what I mean), it’d be tough to act defensive.

Whispered find themselves covering very familiar ground with Thousand Swords, yet bring just enough of a little something different to be worth giving a shot. And for a debut, this is excellent material. The music sounds great (and occasionally epic), everything is well-produced with justified mixing for each band member and, in many ways, what’s here makes other, similar bands sound dull and uninteresting. Genre enthusiasts should definitely love what they’ll find here and, being one myself, look forward to what these guys will do in the future.

Kamelot SilverthornDisney Soundtracks The Hunchback of Notre Dame
In Flames Reroute to RemainBilly Joel Fantasies & Delusions
Billy Joel River Of DreamsBilly Joel Storm Front

Xenorazr
June 16th 2010

Wrote this one up pretty quickly. Really been enjoying these guys, probably one of my favorite albums, especially given a lack of classic tracks. I also gave some album recommendations since I have more music under my belt than I did in previous reviews.

ThyCrossAwaits
June 16th 2010

I was gonna call you on overrating but this is actually pretty cool. does sound a lot like Le Grand Guignol....

Zoo
June 16th 2010

Let's not start making crazy comparisons here.

ThyCrossAwaits

sounds like Le Grand Guignol and ChthoniC

pizzamachine
June 16th 2010

Hard to listen to sometimes but pretty awesome otherwise

SKUDstorm
June 16th 2010

like cob but not shitty should be the proper comparison

Toretto
June 19th 2010

Generally, I think it's pretty good. I would try to make the keyboard solos a little less influent. Some of them are good but they're over-used. Some more guitar solos instead would be nice.
The vocalist should try to improve also with some variations.

Xenorazr
June 20th 2010

I don't think the keyboards are overused, the mixing and attention to and from each member/instrument feels adequate and justified. But I would have liked more (intense) guitar solo work in the title track.

Wolfieboy
August 30th 2010

I agree that the keyboards are a little overused. Still, I love this album.

OllieS
December 16th 2010

2024 Comments

This was pretty incredible on first listen (that chorus in the first song!). Hope it holds up.

OllieS
January 2nd 2011

2024 Comments

Too much wankery on this.

October 13th 2011

Damn this is already reviewed, holy fuck this is awesome.

DoctorVelvet
December 4th 2012

Question for the reviewer, is English your first language? Good review but lots of awkward adjective use.

Digging: Cryptopsy - None So Vile

FrozenVain
December 19th 2012

"like cob but not shitty should be the proper comparison"

Idiot.