Ozzy Osbourne
Scream

2.0
poor

by Matthijs van der Lee USER (219 Reviews)
June 15th, 2010 | 101 replies

Review Summary: Really, what did you expect?

For some time now, Ozzy Osbourne a.k.a. The Prince of Darkness' career has been nothing more than a joke. The original Black Sabbath frontman went solo in the early 80's after he'd been fired from the band following heavy drug and alcohol abuse, and pairing up with the young and talented guitarist Rhandy Roads, he released two quite enjoyable records in the form of Blizzard of Ozz, still his most popular work, and it's follow-up Diary of a Madman. After Roads' death at only age 25, Ozzy moved on with different guitarists and line-ups altogether, but despite making some worthwile songs since then, his albums have been utterly predictable, his last record Black Rain having been what is perhaps the lowest point in his career yet.

His tenth and newest solo effort Scream makes no effort to do anything else than Ozzy has been doing for years now. It is common knowledge the man can't sing, and his main trait is still the recognizable nasal tone in his voice, which at least makes him distinguishable, and has identified him ever since his days with Sabbath. Because of his lacking vocal talent, Osbourne has always been smart to make sure he's got a bunch of good back musicians behind him, though his guitarist is always the only guy that really matters on his albums beside Ozzy himself. Having parted ways with his longtime collaborator Zakk Wylde, Osbourne hired Gus G. for his new album, and Adam Wakeman, son of keyboard virtuoso Rick Wakeman is here, too. Does it makes a difference? Not really. Although G. knows his way around six strings, it is still the songwriting that counts.

And as far as that goes, Scream is, surprise surprise, predictable and boring in every sense of the words. We've got the generic but still somewhat catchy single (Let Me Hear You Scream), perfect to lure Ozzy's loyal sheep to his new album once again, the obligatory metal ballad (Time), and of course the opener Let it Die on which Ozzy tried so hard to keep his image in place:

'I'm a rockstar, I'm a dealer
I'm a servant, I'm a leader
I'm a saviour, i'm a sinner, i'm a killer
I'll be anything you want me to be

Silent as a witness
Make your heart race with a death kiss
I'm a soldier in a blood war
In the peace corp I'll be everything you'll ever be

Loser number zero
Play the victim, end up a hero
I'm a teacher, preacher
Liar, I am everything, anything

I'm a mover and a shaker
The oppressor, stimulator
I'm a coward I'm a fighter
I'm everything'

Sure Ozzy, you're everything. Just keep thinking that.

The rest of the album's tracks of course manage to sound exactly the same: mid-tempo, generic riffing, and Ozzy's boring and unvaried vocals high in the mix. But wait, because Ozzy has done something NEW here. Scream's closing track, I Love You All, is a one-minute song that has the singer conveying a clear and simple message. He just loves us all. Isn't that sweet of him now? Talk about innovation.

Even before it was released, we all knew, more or less, how Scream was going to sound. If there was an award for most predicatable metal artist, Osbourne would surely get it. He's recycled his music many times before, and he's going to do it again next time. His tenth solo album is a tepid, uninspired metal records that plays the only strengths the Prince of Darkness has got left: his status in the metal community and his recognizable voice. Ozzy's new album isn't a new low in his career, it's just the same low he's been stuck in for a long time. The sad thing is, criticics will find a way to praise it anyhow. And more importantly for Ozzy: he can keep filling his pockets.

Genesis Calling All StationsGenesis We Can't Dance
Genesis Invisible TouchGenesis Genesis
Genesis AbacabGenesis Duke
2.6
dragoth (4)
Ozzy returns to us with a great metal album, full of memorable riffs and songs foiled mainly by prod...

Henomeister (2.5)
Ozzy Osbourne really tries on this album, but his optimism can't save him from being mediocre....

Michael Philp (2.5)
Stop living in your dreams Ozzy....

AndrewDanso (2)
Scream is meant to be blasted through a Sabbath veterans dying ear lobes, and MTV simultaneously, an...

Stream: http://www.myspace.com/ozzyosbourne

Cover is so hilarious.

O.J. Simpson
June 15th 2010

so this is, like, instantly better than Black Rain it seems.

G3N3R1C

1945 Comments

Admittedly, Let Me Hear You Scream grew on me more than i would've liked it to.

Not even gonna bother w/ the full album, though.

TRMshadow

Great Review, Pos.

Mikesn
June 15th 2010

Scream's closing track, I Love You All, is a one-minute closer that has the singer conveying a clear and simple message. He just loves us all.
That's cute. Prince of Darkness right?

Digging: Grimes - Visions

June 15th 2010

That's cute. Prince of Darkness right?

That's what I was thinking too.

TRMshadow
June 15th 2010

I bet his room is decorated with little tiny black hearts ^_^

qwe3

ewwwwwww

Greggers
June 15th 2010

As if I needed another reason to steer clear of this; great job as usual Nag.

NeutralThunder12

yeah I bet this sucks 5 types of weiner

LepreCon
June 15th 2010

Better than Black Rain from what I have listened too thus far. Good review Nag, pos'd, but I bet I'll like this better than you do!!!

I bet you will.

Thanks everyone.

Metalstyles
June 15th 2010

Great review and I've always found Ozzy's solo career to be insanely boring so this being average is no surprise.

scissorlocked
June 15th 2010

Good review Nag!!!I absolutely agree with the review.

just wanted this to be slightly better,Gus G. is a homie and I had higher expectations...

Digging: Traumprinz - All The Things

Urinetrouble

2/5 indeed

BigHans
June 15th 2010

Its better than Black Rain, but that's not saying much.

Huntthequattro
June 15th 2010

Album is a bit hit and miss.

For every decent track like 'Let it die' or 'Digging me down', there is something painfully boring such as 'Soul sucker' or 'Life won't wait'.

This is much better than 'Black Rain', though.

rleechb
June 15th 2010

I agree with the above; some decent songs, and a handful of bad ones in the mix. I really want to hate the album... but it's not really THAT bad.

Huntthequattro
June 15th 2010

'Time' is easily one of his better ballads.

BassDemon333
June 15th 2010

I'm not even going to bother with this, the single is extremely annoying and I'm tired of hearing it on the radio. He really should just stop.

Digging: Slipknot - .5: The Gray Chapter