Lil B
Roses Exodus

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
June 13th, 2010 | 110 replies | 19,018 views

Review Summary: A superb foray into poetry laid down over a sublime combination of ambient and IDM results in the best album of the year so far and Based God’s most cohesive work to date.

In hip-hop, when anything (or anybody) peculiar or out of the ordinary comes along, it’s usually heavily praised. Thus, why Lil B isn’t widely adored is beyond me. Sure, on the surface he may appear as just your average sap in the rap game; he’s tight with Soulja Boy, he raps about being the recipient of oral sex and having lots of money, and he has ridiculous lines like “B*tches suck my d*ck ‘cause I look like a Frenchman.” But dig deeper and you’ll find out why Lil B has garnered 31,000-plus followers on Twitter and a handful of blogs devoted to worshipping the very ground he walks on. He’s far from your average rapper. He dons tribal African bead necklaces rather than a diamond-encrusted chain, he’s worn the same pair of Vans for nearly five years now, and he tweets blessings to his fans and their families on early, early Saturday nights when other young rappers are downing shots and courting drunken college girls. Now that it’s been made evident Lil B has always been different, it can easily be said Roses Exodus has transcended to a new level of obscurity. A superb foray into poetry laid down over a sublime combination of ambient and IDM results in the best album of the year so far and Based God’s most cohesive work to date.

On Roses Exodus, we find a Lil B far removed from his fun, trademarked based raps where he can be heard hilariously referring to himself as a lesbian, bragging about ejaculating into a woman’s hair, and rapping about other outlandish things of the sort. No, here we find a morally inquisitive and intellectually charged Based God that is sure to please even those who find some of his choice lyrics to be amateur. Sure, he occasionally delves into discussing his purported rescue of hip-hop from certain peril, but largely, Lil B can be found introspectively musing, uttering eccentric metaphors, and conveying disappointment in humanity. On “Sun and Snow (Remix)” he portrays humans as creatures of selfish nature through an almost vegan stance, stating "Who are we to judge and kill another animal and eat it and say his life isn't as important as ours?" Through sentiments like this, Lil B proves himself to be a legitimate gentle soul, a pleasing rarity in a time in which rappers involve themselves in hyper-masculine posturing and billionaire lifestyle bravado. Although Lil B may seem to leave some thoughts incomplete, and subsequently, seem stupid, he’s actually creating room for interpretation. A fill-in-the-blank attitude is somewhat adopted throughout the record, and it makes for a more engaging album which at times can seem like a little puzzle.

Never one to stylistically conform, Lil B’s flow throughout his solo career always defied the typical AABB hip-hop delivery, but on Roses Exodus, his flow is exceptionally bizarre. Rather than steadily streaming, Lil B pops in and out of the songs to dictate his poetry throughout the course of the record. But the manner in which he presents those lyrics is truly what makes this album work. His delivery is atmospheric and his voice is raw and passionate. He recites his lyrics as if he has his head in the clouds and, unlike many rappers, sounds like he actually cares.

To compliment his dazed mindset, Lil B crafts a wonderfully atmospheric set of beats. A beautifully textured, distinctive combination of ambient and IDM, the production is perfect for Lil B’s dreamy demeanor and sneaky vocals. Instrumentals range from textured and psychedelic (the sharp, operatic strings, oozy, whirring synths, and slimy, boinging bass guitar on “Truth and War” change decibel frequencies just like Lil B changes vocal tempos) to beautiful and dark (the gentle acoustic noodling and thundering, menacing organs of “Sun and Snow (Remix)” make for a pretty, but black track), and Lil B sounds fantastic over everything.

But what’s most surprising (for those who are familiar with Lil B) is that Roses Exodus is Lil B’s most accessible record. Despite its quirkiness, it’s way more cohesive than Lil B’s other albums, which are just sloppy (but good) compilations of previously released YouTube material. Even more impressive, Lil B composed, produced, and wrote the entire album himself, save the live guitarist on the final track.

On Roses Exodus Lil B is sincere, thoughtful, and pure, something many rappers cannot claim to be. You may think he’s your typical mainstream “idiot-rapper” but with Roses Exodus you can take everything you thought you knew about Lil B (and perhaps even hip-hop) and throw it out the window. If you’re a Lil B skeptic or hater (as I once was) this album could turn you around to his side pretty quickly. Atmospheric, pure, wholesome, and thoughtful, the ‘rare, secret yellow album’ Lil B had been hyping on his blog for awhile is delightfully surprising. As it stands Roses Exodus is the best ‘hip-hop’ album of the year, and will be a strong candidate by the time we’re raising our champagne glasses on New Year’s Eve.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
David Foster Wallace (5)
Today, we thank you Based God. We thank you for saving Hip-Hop....

June 13th 2010

Album is awesome. Digging it big time.

Thanks to Bitchfork, O.J. Simpson, and Meatplow for proofing.

vanderb0b
June 13th 2010

Nice work, once again. This album sounds real cool, I'll give it a listen.

Meatplow

good review Bulldog

don't really care for this guy, he confuses the fuck out of me

June 13th 2010

Thanks man, glad you like the review, and glad you're gonna check it out.

Here's a download link. It's free and Lil B posted it himself from his blog.

Counterfeit
June 13th 2010

Could've maybe quoted some of the lyrics to show why they're more mature. And you talked way more about who and what he is then the music itself. But overall it was a good review.

June 13th 2010

Thanks Counterfeit. But on this review, because I know a lot of people don't understand Lil B, and hate him because of that, I kind of wanted to clear some things up about the man himself. Regardless, you should check this out.

June 13th 2010

pos'd because of my general pleasure towards bulldog and his new reviewing outlook.

Meatplow

Pretend We're Dead is my favourite track

They got us in the palm of every hand....

June 13th 2010

thanks foxhound, but did you even read it? :D

I scanned it, read:

"he’s worn the same pair of Vans for nearly five years now"

and clicked yes by where it asks if the review was well written.

[img]http://baremagazine.org/Blog_images/LilB_Pack_Band3.JPG[/img]

I need to get my hands on a copy of his book.

June 13th 2010

omg k now do teh emo boyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Inveigh
June 13th 2010

d/l-ing now, can't tell if this is gonna be something I like or not.. It definitely sounds like I wouldn't go for his other stuff. Good review Bulldog, I enjoy the new Bulldog reviews (pos). One thing though:

In the past decade, hip-hop hasn’t change much.

Can't say I agree with that at all. Maybe mainstream hip hop hasn't changed much (but even that's not completely true with the crunk-rap revolution), but indie rap fully blossomed in the early part of this decade and the poetry jam / slam-poetry movement is essentially a 2000s thing as well.

But that's just a matter of opinion I suppose, good review nonetheless.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

June 13th 2010

Yea I kind of figured that line would be up for debate. I might change that later. But thanks Inveigh, glad you're gonna give this a chance.

PurpleDrank

lol @ tracklisting 'I Have Saved Hip Hop'. I'm kinda drawn to this though

June 13th 2010

k fine bulldog don't amuse me with colorful pictures, ktanksbai

kingsoby1
June 13th 2010

hip hop has changed quite a bit, completely wrong.

i dont think i'll ever listen to this guy.

June 13th 2010

aw give it a chance kingsoby. tell you what, ill make you a deal.

this is a free album and its 30 minutes long. if you try it out, and dont like it, ill listen to any album of your choice. whether it be hip hop or not, whether it be good or bad. hell if you try it out and like it, ill listen to something you tell me to listen to regardless, just cuz you tried it.

is that agreeable?

June 13th 2010

make him listen to None So Vile.

ConsiderPhlebas
June 13th 2010

Good review, man. Never heard a thing from this guy - I'll check this out, though.