Travie McCoy
Lazarus

by Ryan Lizotte USER (24 Reviews)
June 10th, 2010 | 36 replies

Review Summary: Travis takes a break from Gym, and tries out a new game.

When you think of Travis McCoy, the first thing that comes to your mind is Gym Class Heroes. Gym Class Heroes, for you who don't know, are an alternative rap band with McCoy as the MC. So for all of you, like I, who had listened to this album listening for McCoy's signature Gym Class Heroes style, prepare to be a bit shocked.

"Billionaire" featuring Bruno Mars (yes, that guy from B.o.B.'s "Nothin' on You") is the song out on the airwaves right now, and it's a fresh track that really gave McCoy some spotlight besides Gym Class Heroes. The song features catchy guitar chords backed by tight drums. McCoy's rhymes are solid, but nothing amazing in this song. But interestingly, this song really does not reflect the real artistry or thought behind this album. "Billionaire" does a good job as a single, but to get the real idea of the album, you need to listen to the rest of it.

There are influences from many genres packaged in this album, mainly hip-hop and R&B. Travie shows composure as he sings his way through many of the tracks ("Superbad", "Need You", "We'll Be Alright"). The lack of rap in these songs will definitely not be enough for some, but as the cover shows, this is a Travie McCoy album, and not a Gym Class Heroes album. This album does a great job of showcasing McCoy outside of his regular shell. Electronics take over a bulk of the album too, creating a really relaxing atmosphere in most of the songs.

Lyrical content isn't superior, but it's satisfying, to say the least. McCoy demonstrates his views on just relaxing and living life ("Superbad"), nostalgia (Akidagain), and pulls out his complete arsenal in "The Manual", which I daresay is the best song on the album.

McCoy's poise, evident in the recording, and his creativity really make this album glow a bit more than the other new Hip-Hop stars these days, and this album serves as a good breather compared to newer artists. This is a great driving, or sitting back album, and I definitely recommend it as a quick listen.

Is it a keeper? Probably not for most. But, if you're looking for a fresh new sound, pick this up and loop it a couple times. One must go farther than "Billionaire" to experience the whole sound. Keep that in mind.

Counterparts The Difference Between Hell and HomeTrash Talk 119
Glass Cloud The Royal ThousandMemphis May Fire Challenger
OFWGKTA The OF Tape Vol. 2Like Moths to Flames When We Don't Exist
3.1
good
red1zglry (4)
This is a very good album. Everyone go get it. i got the leaked version. lol....

June 11th 2010

I don't know if it's cool or not, but Billionaire is a great tune IMO

i hate this album

Bulldog

Comments: 1943
06.11.10

gtfo gutteralmaster

sup dryden

wot

June 11th 2010

my computer is dying guys

that sucks bro

June 11th 2010

if im randomly gone for a few days thats why, and also why i havn't been on much today becides that i ate the best hotdog of my life holy ****

June 11th 2010

that's awesome you should write a blog on that shit

June 11th 2010

the hotdog or my internet being a dirty little slut?

Motiv3

both.

Digging: Punch - They Don?t Have To Believe

boaf a dem

okay

June 11th 2010

why is your computer dying?

DID YOU PLAY AN ANIMAL COLLECTIVE ALBUM?

June 11th 2010

nooooo im not that crazy. i have some weird virus im assuming i get this pop up saying severs have stopped working, then all my windows change and look like the super old computer windows models then everything freezes and i have to restart. i know a dude who fixes them in his house and i gotta call today cuz this bitch is annoying. theres another computer i can go on but i has no music so **** it. so when it dies or when i bring it in (whichever comes first) i will have to do something else for a day or 2 and go outside omfg