Fuck Buttons
Tarot Sport

by Jonathan Kroening USER (29 Reviews)
June 10th, 2010 | 13 replies | 2,959 views

Review Summary: Seamlessly blending post-rock and electronic music, Tarot Sport is a flight you don’t want to miss.

*** Buttons are the product of an atypical hybrid of electronic music and post-rock. Their second album, Tarot Sport, is furthermore not your typical instrumental electronic fare. It distinctly settles in the post-rock world too with piles of sustained guitar distortion. By successfully blending the two styles, *** Buttons are deserving of their place as one of the best acts of 2009.

In large doses Tarot Sport can be a trying journey. Due to it’s hypnotic quality it leans towards fits of unrest, and seems undecided on whether to trance it’s listeners or inflict voodoo-doll stimuli on them. Almost exclusively written in major keys the album has a very uplifting mood that is appropriately represented in its cover art. Pumping adrenaline through each pounding beat Tarot Sport conjures feelings of flying above the clouds.

“Olympians” is over and above the best track on the record, particularly because it feels like it’s the culmination of what has been the first half of the voyage. Preceded by an outstanding lead-in (“The Lisbon Maru”), “Olympians” is majestic and elated. It’s akin to the moment of epiphany you believe is waiting for you on the other side of the clouds as you break into the blue sky above. Also notable for its haunting guitar melody contrasted against a major mode, as well as it’s galloping tribal beat, is “Flight Of The Feathered Serpent”.

Overall, Tarot Sport is capable of escalating your pulse and laboring your breathing through breathtaking landscapes of tone and fuzz. Digesting the entire hour of sound in one sitting is a stirring feat in itself. Yet, if you are able to brave the mesmerizing intensity on these seven tracks it will likely result in more than just ringing in your ears. Your heart will be ringing too.

4 / 5 stars

-Jonathan Kroening

Electrik Red How To Be A Lady: Volume 1The Flaming Lips Embryonic
St. Vincent ActorUsher Raymond v. Raymond
Wild Beasts Two DancersFlorence and the Machine Lungs
SleepyJack (4.5)
With Tarot Sport Fuck Buttons have taken a step back from the experimental brink. All of the distort...

mazurov (4.5)
Overloaded karaoke amps, blown speakers, thumping basslines with a teensy hint of chaos. Welcome to ...

June 10th 2010

if you post on itsjustmusic why do you find the need to post on sputnik?

robertsona

i dont see the problem

June 10th 2010

It's unnecessary. Pitchfork writers don't need to find another website to post theirs'. Plus if I was searching for a Fuck Buttons review and found the same review on two different links I'd be a bit irritated I guess, due to the redundancy.

robertsona

lol

lol

i am laughing because you are laughing

SleepyJack
June 10th 2010

What if you were searching for a Fuck Buttons review on Sputnik? Anyway, I probably would never have seen this if it hadn't been on the homepage here.

June 10th 2010

i hope you found it an enlightening piece of prose

June 10th 2010

this album makes me want to conquer the cosmos while on ecstasy.

yeah its a pretty sick album

June 10th 2010

From my recollection their first bored the shit out of me

SleepyJack
June 10th 2010

This is better than their first yea. Still thought Horrrsing it had its moments though

AggravatedYeti
June 11th 2010

review is pretty good.

Regulator
June 15th 2010

I secretly hoped this band would be Canadian so we could claim ourselves as the undisputed King of bands with the word "fuck" in their name. But alas

Regulator
June 16th 2010

ah well, share the wealth. it's in our nature