Ceremony (USA-CA)
Rohnert Park

by Adam Thomas STAFF
June 7th, 2010 | 139 replies | 25,165 views

Review Summary: Pack yr fists full of hate take a swing at 1984

Within the first minute of Rohnert Park, vocalist Ross Farrar screams that he's sick of Black Flag and the Cro-Mags. An ironic statement to say the least given that the latest release from the Bridge 9 darlings trades in Ceremony's trademark brand of grindy, violent hardcore in favor of a throwback to when SST and Dischord ruled the scene. Back before Henry Rollins and Ian MacKaye were household names. Back to when they were just sweaty dudes traveling around the US in run down vans trying to get to the next matinee show. Rohnert Park is Ceremony sporting their throwback jerseys. Every second of it a modern reinterpreting of hardcore punk's most classic offenders.

All of the big boys are reexamined. The opening tandem of “Into the Wayside Part 1/Sick” kicks off Rohnert Park with their take on the hillbilly vibrato of The Dead Kennedy's copyrighted twang, a long way away from the “Pack your fists full of hate and take a swing at the word” sonic ass-whooping of Ruined, before it shifts into what ends up being the norm for the album as it takes a page out of Damaged's hardcore manifesto. The rest of the “Into the Wayside” series takes daring cues from both Suicidal Tendencies and The Adolescents, with “Part 2” being the calm before the storm before the album's more violent second half begins and tears into the youthcore playbook -- making it louder, faster, and even more pissed off, all while at the same time ripping it a new asshole.

Even though Rohnert Park has all been done before, punk like this hasn't been played with this much fury and abandon since its CBGB's glory days, making this homage to all of those who paved the way for bands like Ceremony as fresh sounding as humanly possible. Rohnert Park goes beyond making a statement, it reaffirms the continued survival of punk in not only this decade, but the decade after, and the decade after that.

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
Comeback Kid Die KnowingSlough Feg Digital Resistance
Eli Z. Wasson (4)
Catching the Hardcore community off-guard with a surprise left hook......

PanasonicYouth
June 7th 2010

summary made me lol ridiculously hard
also holy crap this is short

Athom

UP THE PUNX

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

TheSpirit
June 7th 2010

This is my first experience with the band (i've heard a few songs here and there from them before) but I really enjoyed it. great review as always adam

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

June 7th 2010

i've got problems i'm a fucked up kid

Bleekill
June 7th 2010

I STILL REVOLVE AROUND A WORLD I WISH TO CUT OFF, ONE NATION UNDER GOD OVER A BURNING CROSSS.
I still have to check this out but I love Violence.

FreePizzaDay
June 7th 2010

THUNDER AND LIGHTNING PROTECT ME FROM GOD! I WON'T BE SKULL FUCKED BY FAITH: I AM THE UPSIDE DOWN CROSS!

Dryden

yeYHAAHAH

Transient
June 8th 2010

it's dog eat dog in a place like this hard luck life sucks so i use my fists

rasputin
June 8th 2010

awesome, i need to hear this

Kiran

must get

qwe3
June 8th 2010

will get will love will pos

PanasonicYouth

it's pretty good yeah

qwe3
June 8th 2010

o wait staff now oops forgot

cvlts

this is ok

Digging: Pedro the Lion - It's Hard To Find A Friend

kount
June 8th 2010

yeah this is solid, i am happy now

witchxrapist

I need this.

Pizza
June 8th 2010

I didn't dig this so much at first, probably because it wasn't what i was expecting at all... but now i'm loving it. band rules

witchxrapist
June 8th 2010

This is awesome, but I definitely prefer thrashier shi anymore idk.

gasmaskman
June 8th 2010

first time listening to this, just hit the doldrums. wtf?

IRAI
June 8th 2010

Qwe you can go pos my review of this if you want to pos it. his gets more exposure due to staffings... X(

fuck the government (of Sputnik) with your FIST.